ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Lutovsky Commits to the Holers.

When it comes to OL and DB recruits I trust KF and PP when it comes to evaluations and offers. Main thing is Iowa got 4* Colby from CR Kennedy already for 21' class with OSU and Michigan offers.

As mentioned earlier KF passed on Foster and rightfully so. Same thing with another legacy Bobek a 4* years ago who went to I believe OSU then MN and ended up at ISU as grad transfer. Or even this year the top in state guy by rivals is an OL Miller who didn't have an Iowa offer with Volk being only in state OL with an Iowa offer.

Remember Trevor Ruhland? A legacy that wanted to be a Hawk badly but he never got an offer from Iowa. Another highly rated prospect. Lots of offers including Notre Dame, which he accepted. He was really pissed that Iowa had scorned him. Lots of folks wondered if KF and staff had made a big mistake.
https://www.ndinsider.com/recruitin...cle_ac431eb2-f414-11e4-b3bd-03f1467ebdea.html

I remember his dad from the 1990 season. Had to google Trevor. His ND bio says:

“Depth chart: If 100 percent healthy, Ruhland may be the No. 2 right guard behind senior Tommy Kraemer and the seventh overall offensive lineman, with junior left guard Josh Lugg the sixth.”

When it comes to OL and DB recruits I trust KF and PP when it comes to evaluations and offers. Main thing is Iowa got 4* Colby from CR Kennedy already for 21' class with OSU and Michigan offers.

As mentioned earlier KF passed on Foster and rightfully so. Same thing with another legacy Bobek a 4* years ago who went to I believe OSU then MN and ended up at ISU as grad transfer. Or even this year the top in state guy by rivals is an OL Miller who didn't have an Iowa offer with Volk being only in state OL with an Iowa offer.
Then why haven’t we been solid from OT to OT for years? Our OGs have been abused for years against good Run Defenses. I record and watch the games 2-3X. If you focus on the OL, you will be appalled by the OG play. Big reason our 2nd & 3rd Short Conversion rate has been pitiful. Only saving grace has been Stanley’s QB Sneak success. You would be shocked how often our OGs end up on the wrong side of the LOS.

Reactions: OC guru
Then why haven’t we been solid from OT to OT for years? Our OGs have been abused for years against good Run Defenses. I record and watch the games 2-3X. If you focus on the OL, you will be appalled by the OG play. Big reason our 2nd & 3rd Short Conversion rate has been pitiful. Only saving grace has been Stanley’s QB Sneak success. You would be shocked how often our OGs end up on the wrong side of the LOS.

Yeah they aren't great this year but in his 20 years of evaluating OL recruits KF's track record speaks for itself. Also doesn't help that one of returning starters Banwart was lost for the season and Schott has missed some time as well. Then shuffling of the line for a few games with Jackson out. Along with a freshman C with backup Gs isn't a recipe for success.

However I'm not arguing and agree our interior line play has been and weak spot of the offense this year like in Michigan and PSU game however as stated above reasons why that is the case. But in taking in OL recruits like Lutovsky I'll take KF's opinion over Frost and the Nebraska staff any day of the week.

Reactions: TailgateTom
5 years later he’s the 7th best olineman at ND.
Almost like Kirk knows what he’s doing with olinemen.
Yeah, the flipside to that is what could have the kid become if he had access to Iowa's OL player development. Maybe he's not the 7th best OL at ND, maybe he's the #1 OL in the country, you just never know. You can't look at how things turned out down the road as confirmation the right decision was made years ago because none of us have any idea how the kid would have turned out if Iowa offered.

Do you really think he’d be the 7th best lineman for Iowa this year?

KF didn’t like him. He went his whole college career never cracking the starting lineup. Let’s flip this around: where do YOU think he’d rank at Iowa? Who is a backup at another school better than and how can you qualify that?

It’s hilarious how you guys contort yourselves to push the narrative that our coaches with all their accolades are incompetent.

Reactions: TailgateTom
It's better to think of recruits like baseball prospects. You evaluate the hell out of them and develop the hell out of them, and if you do those things right, a certain *percentage* of them will turn into something. Because injuries happen. And because there is inherently some guess work to projecting how an 18 year old will develop or what their realistic ceiling is (physically, mentally, etc).

But, if you flip a coin 100 times, you'll have stretches where it comes up tails every time. So, 50% success over time can be 0% or 100% for short stretches. And we recruit a handful of OL per year. So the OL on any given team is a small sample. Flip a coin 10 times and you get all kinds of wild results that even out the more times you flip it.

A stretch of interior OL recruits who didn't pan out means we have guards not playing to our usual standard. But it doesn't necessarily mean our evaluations or development have failed - unless it continues to happen consistently over time. But, if you look at that long view, we can say pretty definitively that Iowa under Kirk knows how to recruit and develop OL. So, this is more likely to be a stretch of bad luck.

Well, that and we shortchanged OL recruiting for a cycle to reload at WR due to the mess that was WR recruiting and development in the Greg Davis era.

It's better to think of recruits like baseball prospects. You evaluate the hell out of them and develop the hell out of them, and if you do those things right, a certain *percentage* of them will turn into something. Because injuries happen. And because there is inherently some guess work to projecting how an 18 year old will develop or what their realistic ceiling is (physically, mentally, etc).

But, if you flip a coin 100 times, you'll have stretches where it comes up tails every time. So, 50% success over time can be 0% or 100% for short stretches. And we recruit a handful of OL per year. So the OL on any given team is a small sample. Flip a coin 10 times and you get all kinds of wild results that even out the more times you flip it.

A stretch of interior OL recruits who didn't pan out means we have guards not playing to our usual standard. But it doesn't necessarily mean our evaluations or development have failed - unless it continues to happen consistently over time. But, if you look at that long view, we can say pretty definitively that Iowa under Kirk knows how to recruit and develop OL. So, this is more likely to be a stretch of bad luck.

Well, that and we shortchanged OL recruiting for a cycle to reload at WR due to the mess that was WR recruiting and development in the Greg Davis era.

I think to write it off as ‘bad luck’ isn’t looking at the entirety of the information. Iowa has been good at kicking out very high level linemen on a consistent basis, they have also been correct on passing on several high star legacies. However, this hasn’t led to high level offensive lines, strong running games or offensive success. The Joe Moore award was an odd award to win and it wasn’t given for being ‘best’
Follow the running statistics, not really a strong area. Just because you do it a lot and emphasize it they haven’t been high level at it. Even the 2 -1,000 year, as a team didn’t rank highly. They style of play limits the opportunities but YPC isn’t great either.
The ‘bad luck’ people refer to is based on ‘injuries, inexperienced back ups, young kid pressed into duty, etc.’ Those items are part of being a ‘development’ program but is caused by how the program is ran. Who is responsible for not being able to recruit better, develop quicker, build depth? I find it difficult to believe that there aren’t more talented lineman that have the ‘Iowa mentality’ out there.
My opinion is that Iowa will continue to develop award worthy lineman consistently, the results say they haven’t put together a high quality offensive line for awhile.

How about the real measure, o linemen in the nfl?

Quick opinion question. Make a choice, A or B

Team A - strong running game, high scoring offense, 9-12 wins a year on a fairly consistent basis and puts few if any lineman in the NFL
Or
Team B - mediocre running game, average scoring with sparks of being high scoring and 7-9 wins a year on a consistent basis and puts a significant amount of lineman in the NFL.

I choose A. I also think that it would take some minor adjustments for team A to morph into team A, bringing their NFL pedigree with them.

KF didn’t like him. He went his whole college career never cracking the starting lineup. Let’s flip this around: where do YOU think he’d rank at Iowa? Who is a backup at another school better than and how can you qualify that?

It’s hilarious how you guys contort yourselves to push the narrative that our coaches with all their accolades are incompetent.
To borrow TR's own words, "It's funny how things work out. It really is."

If he’s that big, and that close to Iowa city, and we didnt offer....guessing he looks like Tarzan, play like Jane.

That was the dig on the Paulsen's I remember from some area high school coaches. They look big but played soft. Sitting here their SR years I would have to agree in that assessment. The brothers never really panned out here and have been underwhelming.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
That was the dig on the Paulsen's I remember from some area high school coaches. They look big but played soft. Sitting here their SR years I would have to agree in that assessment. The brothers never really panned out here and have been underwhelming.

But good enough to start or be in the two deeps on a top 20 team. I guess that’s what you call not panning out. Damn you people are so critical. As a parent of of a high school junior defensive end, I am becoming more and more aware of how insane fans are of high school and college athletes. Many on this board never even sniffed playing time at a NAIA school, let alone a DI top 20 program. But hey, let’s rip apart a 17-21 year old who may or not be as good as you want him to be.

Really, that's a stupid comment. Just think if he could only put together top 40 offenses how good our record would be. Do you know how many linemen are in the NFL compared to the other positions.
If you were to look, you would see that 9 of the 27 active NFL players from the U of IA are offensive linemen, the largest of any group. 3 more are tight ends. What is your point?

Last edited:
Reactions: owenhawk
Yeah they aren't great this year but in his 20 years of evaluating OL recruits KF's track record speaks for itself. Also doesn't help that one of returning starters Banwart was lost for the season and Schott has missed some time as well. Then shuffling of the line for a few games with Jackson out. Along with a freshman C with backup Gs isn't a recipe for success.
We've had some great ones but if evaluation has been so great, why have our rushing yards been in the bottom half of the conference most of those 20 years. Some great ones but a ton of misses.

If you were to look, you would see that 9 of the 27 active NFL players from the U of IA are offensive linemen, the largest of any group. 3 more are tight ends. What is your point?

Like I said how many NFL line men are there compared to other positions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT