ADVERTISEMENT

Here comes Shohei Ohtani.

This remains the biggest bullshit in baseball…

1) What if Ohtani was a pitcher hitting, not a DH hitting?

As we said above, Ohtani is considered a designated hitter when he pitches, and thus has a higher comparison bar to clear.

Ohtani should be treated as a pitcher or at worse a catcher for batting comparison purposes in games where he pitches. He’s losing at a minimum .33 oWAR a year.

Last edited:
One of the morning guys this morning on the Score said that SO doesn't make sense for the Cubs because they don't need a starter, and he wouldn't boost attendance. I think it must have been someone filling in during a shortened holiday week, because usually Mully is the dumbest host, and it wasn't him.
Duh, you get him if you can.

One of the morning guys this morning on the Score said that SO doesn't make sense for the Cubs because they don't need a starter, and he wouldn't boost attendance. I think it must have been someone filling in during a shortened holiday week, because usually Mully is the dumbest host, and it wasn't him.
Duh, you get him if you can.
LOL. That’s one of the dumber things I’ve ever heard in my life.

LOL. That’s one of the dumber things I’ve ever heard in my life.
I think it was Haugh, so something dumb doesn’t surprise me. He also was all for the Cubs going after Ohtani, but Mully was having trouble wrapping his head around the idea, if I remember the conversation correctly. They also said they doubt Ricketts would back such a move.

Babe Ruth 2.0
Watching him throttle my White Sox the last two nites has convinced me that he is truly unique.
His homers are different...they seem to go straight up(launch angle 36%) but then just fly long distances.
His bat speed is crazy.
His strength is amazing.
He is damn near the unicorn that Babe must have been back in 1927.

I got to see him play in the Baseball Classic against the USA last spring. Really glad I took the opportunity to do that even though it meant I had a 22 hour day because of it. Honestly, the US losing didn't even sting that badly because of the way Japan won. The best players in the biggest moments.

Babe Ruth 2.0
Watching him throttle my White Sox the last two nites has convinced me that he is truly unique.
His homers are different...they seem to go straight up(launch angle 36%) but then just fly long distances.
His bat speed is crazy.
His strength is amazing.
He is damn near the unicorn that Babe must have been back in 1927.
He’s better than Ruth ever was as a 2-way. By the time the Babe hit 20 HRs for the first time (1919), he was already phasing out his pitching (17 games, 15 starts, down from a high of 41 starts in 1916). After 1919, he pitched a total of 13 more innings in his entire career over the next 20 years.

But, Ruth was also a massive unicorn just for the power. In 1919 when he hit 20 HRs in Boston for the first time (29), he had more homers than 10 teams. In 1920, he hit 54 with the Yankees and that was more than every team in baseball except Philly.

They really might be the two biggest unicorns in the history of baseball. We’ll see over the next decade if Ohtani has an impact leading to more 2-way guys. Babe Ruth basically single-handedly brought power to the game.

Shohei is what Babe Ruth could have been if Ruth had taken better care of himself.

Why? It's never been easier to watch baseball games. Back in the day I'd only be able to see him once a month on national TV. Now I can watch every game.
I mean from a recognition/appreciation standpoint. Summer of ‘98, McGwire/Sosa, it was all anyone could talk about. But now, I don’t feel like this is getting the attention it deserves.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I mean from a recognition/appreciation standpoint. Summer of ‘98, McGwire/Sosa, it was all anyone could talk about. But now, I don’t feel like this is getting the attention it deserves.
A lot of that lack of coverage is because Ohtani is in LA...put him in NYC, Boston, Philly, ATL...oe even St. Louis or Chicago, it would be completely different...the time difference between east and west coasts is significant especially in the media world.

At what point does he get considered for GOAT status? I mean, not necessarily now, but if he pulls this off for a few more years, he has to be at least mentioned at some point, right? The dude is like a build your own player with an unlimited cheat code.

At what point does he get considered for GOAT status? I mean, not necessarily now, but if he pulls this off for a few more years, he has to be at least mentioned at some point, right? The dude is like a build your own player with an unlimited cheat code.
He’s definitely putting himself in that conversation. He certainly needs a longer run, but these last 3 seasons are probably the highest all-around peak any player has ever had. As I noted earlier (and anyone can look it up), even Babe Ruth really didn’t slug and pitch at the same time. He was a great pitcher, but as he emerged as a hitter, he stopped pitching.

Probably the biggest question in his free agency is how long he projects to do both. He’s right in his prime right now, so certainly another 4-5 years near this level seem absolutely doable. After that, if doing both is taxing enough that he’s losing velo or bat speed, it may make sense for him to back off one side or the other.

As noted, Ohtani hasn’t done enough long enough to be considered GOAT yet, but his peak is getting really, really high. For this exercise, I’ll use bWAR (Baseball Reference WAR). For his career, Ohtani has 30.7 WAR, which puts him in 842nd place all-time, but he’s done that in 5.5 seasons and that also includes not basically not pitching at all in 2019 or 2020 and having the shortened COVID 2020 season offensively.

Since coming back from Tommy John surgery and resuming as a 2-way in 2021, Ohtani has put up WAR of 9 (4.9 hitting/4.1 pitching) in 2021, 9.6 last year (3.4 hitting, 6.2 pitching) and is currently on pace for close to 12 WAR this year (pace roughly 7 hitting/5 pitching), so while he’s not in the top 500 all-time, he’s going to pass a lot of guys very quickly if he continues playing like this.

Let’s assume (because if he falls off, he’s obviously not GOAT level) that he roughly keeps pace the 2nd half of this year and picks up another 5.5 WAR (getting him close to 12 for the season) and then has another solid 5 years into his early 30s where he’s a very good 2-way player. From there, assume he plays another 5 years and hits his aging curve and maybe even cuts one part of his game out (or maybe he’s a DH and reliever, something like that) and averages 4 WAR over those last 5 seasons.

Just his peak (what he’s done plus those next 5 seasons) would put him over 80 WAR, into baseball’s top 60, around guys like Rod Carew and Nolan Ryan. Adding those other 5 seasons as he winds down his career would bring him to north of 100 WAR into company of guys like Randy Johnson & Albert Pujols. Even just a couple more strong 2-way seasons could push him up into Lou Gehrig & Tom Seaver territory. One thing worth noting is that at all these milestones I’m noting, he’ll have played fewer years than most of the guys he’s near. This is his 6th season, but of course 2020 was abbreviated and he lost 2 seasons of pitching to TJ. The assumptions I lay out make for about a 15 year career, which is pretty great there, but some of the all-time WAR leaders played 20-25 seasons.

The 2-way is obviously his claim to any kind of GOAT status. He’s unquestionably the greatest 2-way player in history, but he’s not likely to be a top 15 all-time pitcher or a top 15 all-time hitter.…but the two together are adding value in ways never seen before.

Sorry if this was tl;dr

Absolutely not. That was a great read. The dude is friggin unreal, and it's shocking to me that the casual sports fan doesn't even know who he is.
The time zone thing playing in LA, as noted, doesn’t help, but because of him and Trout, the Angels have gotten their fair share of national games. What hurts him (and Trout) is a complete lack of playoff exposure.

It’s become a meme that Trout will have 4 hits and a bomb and Ohtani will do something not done since Old Tungsten-Arm O’Doyle did it in like aught-7….and the Angels lose 9-8. It’s absolutely wild to me that the Angels haven’t been able to make the playoffs since Ohtani came on (or since 2014 with Trout).

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I left this off my long post because it was already long, but if you want to look at greatness in terms of peak seasons, here‘s where Ohtani would rate if he did have 5 more seasons averaging 9 WAR (would give him likely at least 8 years of 8+ WAR). Baseball reference defines 8+ WAR seasons as MVP level, so that’s the criteria I used. Here’s the list of all players who have had at least 5 seasons with 8+ WAR:

• 11 seasons: Babe Ruth
  • 10 seasons: Willie Mays
  • 9 seasons: Rogers Hornsby & Cy Young
  • 8 seasons: Walter Johnson & Barry Bonds (this is where Ohtani would land in my projection)
  • 7 seasons: Kid Nichols
  • 6 seasons: Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, Alex Rodriguez, Ted Williams & Lefty Grove
  • 5 seasons: Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Joe Morgan, Tris Speaker, Mike Trout (hasn’t done it since 2018), Honus Wagner & Tommy Bond
Worth noting that 3-4 of those guys played the bulk of their career before the modern era and 11 played before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. Just 2 more seasons at the level of his last 2.5 wouldn’t get him into baseball’s elite career numbers, but it would get him into this group.

Just amazing stuff, however you choose to look at it.

Shohei is what Babe Ruth could have been if Ruth had taken better care of himself.
Ruth actually was a good athlete. The impression he was a portly slugger is due to there being few surviving pictures from early in his career. If you look at his stolen base numbers, and doubles and triples early on he was pretty fast. Defensive metrics adjusted to the modern era show he was a good outfielder. Time took its toll, and there obviously was nowhere near the medical or training care in that era.
The Babe chugging beers and wolfing down hotdogs also made good print.

Ruth actually was a good athlete. The impression he was a portly slugger is due to there being few surviving pictures from early in his career. If you look at his stolen base numbers, and doubles and triples early on he was pretty fast. Defensive metrics adjusted to the modern era show he was a good outfielder. Time took its toll, and there obviously was nowhere near the medical or training care in that era.

Yep ...

That’s kind of my point. Ruth early in his career was in good physical condition and was a good athlete. But by the time he was 30 he weighed 260lbs.

Ruth was 25 in that pic and Cobb was 33. Imagine how good Ruth could have been if he looked as good as Cobb when he reached that age. Time took its toll on Ruth, but drinking, overeating, and womanizing until the wee hours of the morning took an accelerated toll on him.

I’m not even talking about today’s training care with private chefs, nutritional regimens, and personal trainers sculpting elite physical specimens.

I’m just talking about not being a relentlessly hungover fat fvck lugging an extra 50lbs of body weight around the diamond when he was still in his prime years.

As great as Ruth was, he could have been even better if he had taken reasonably good care of himself.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
A few things I don’t see ever brought up:

While Ruth basically transitioned to being a position player instead of a pitcher, he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be a two way player as a full time DH when he wasn’t pitching, which basically Ohtani is.

As far as peak season performances, Ohtani has yet to finish in the top 15 in MLB as far as actual runs produced offensively. He’s got a good ways to go to approach being a top 15 hitter of all-time.

Ruth excelled as both a pitcher and batter, even led the league in ERA once. Ohtani is a good pitcher and had the one very good season ERA. Ohtani appears to be a great HR hitter, but he hasn’t excelled as a batter for a full season, maybe he can keep it up for this year.

Reactions: lucas80
I asked my 17 year old if he knew who Ohtani was? I thought he would know but he had no clue. I remember when Kirby Pucket and the Twins won the world series. There wouldn't have been a single kid in our school that wouldn't have known who he was. Not comparing the two or their accomplishments. Just pointing out how far I think baseball has fallen.

I asked my 17 year old if he knew who Ohtani was? I thought he would know but he had no clue. I remember when Kirby Pucket and the Twins won the world series. There wouldn't have been a single kid in our school that wouldn't have known who he was. Not comparing the two or their accomplishments. Just pointing out how far I think baseball has fallen.
Totally agree, times have changed. That said, playing for the Angels doesn’t help.

Reactions: lucas80
Totally agree, times have changed. That said, playing for the Angels doesn’t help.
True. Doesn't Trout play for them too? "Trout hit 2 homeruns. Ohtani added a homerun and 12 strikeouts as the Angel's lost 8 to 3.

A few things I don’t see ever brought up:

While Ruth basically transitioned to being a position player instead of a pitcher, he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be a two way player as a full time DH when he wasn’t pitching, which basically Ohtani is.

As far as peak season performances, Ohtani has yet to finish in the top 15 in MLB as far as actual runs produced offensively. He’s got a good ways to go to approach being a top 15 hitter of all-time.

Ruth excelled as both a pitcher and batter, even led the league in ERA once. Ohtani is a good pitcher and had the one very good season ERA. Ohtani appears to be a great HR hitter, but he hasn’t excelled as a batter for a full season, maybe he can keep it up for this year.
Ruth was really never a top-end hitter and pitcher at the same time. Look at his numbers, he primarily pitched in Boston and was an emerging hitter and then NYY basically made him a RF and phased out the pitching pretty quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT