alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Frack'n cholesterol is up to 277!

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38
LDL CHOLESTEROL 214.00 High

Doc prescribed Atorvastatin. Anyone else on this? If so, side effects? How long to get it back down? In years past I was able to control my cholesterol via exercise and diet. I'm only 165lbs, so weight isn't really an issue and I don't smoke or drink. 4 years ago I requested a CT scan and the results revealed zero plaque build up. So I'm wondering if I can just throw some Omega-3s, green tea extract, psyllium husk. etc.

I really don't want to take a statin. ...I also don't want a heart attack at 50.

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

Doc prescribed Atorvastatin. Anyone else on this? If so, side effects? How long to get it back down? In years past I was able to control my cholesterol via exercise and diet. I'm only 165lbs, so weight isn't really an issue and I don't smoke or drink. 4 years ago I requested a CT scan and the results revealed zero plaque build up. So I'm wondering if I can just throw some Omega-3s, green tea extract, psyllium husk. etc.

I really don't want to take a statin. ...I also don't want a heart attack at 50.
I've been taking Atorvastatin for almost 10 years now; cholesterol stays down and I've seen no side effects at all. If anything, my heart appears to be getting stronger.

I’ve been on it 8 years. No side effects. But then my numbers weren’t in the death zone like yours!
Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

When I was in grad school at Iowa State a million years ago, my biochemistry professor said if the whole class was diagnosed with high cholesterol right now, about half could control it with diet and exercise and about half would have to go on medication to bring it down. You may be in the ‘have to go on medication’ group.

Reactions: goldmom
My cholesterol was at 259 last week and they didn't recommend anything other than a better diet. My triglycerides were at 353, so a touch high there. That was never made mention of.

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

I am on it.... No side effects what so ever. What exactly do you eat and how much do you weigh?

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

I've been on it for 15 years and no side effects I'm aware of.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I am on it.... No side effects what so ever. What exactly do you eat and how much do you weigh?
I actually don't eat a ton and all my other blood work is excellent and I mean pristine.

- I am 5'11" and now weigh 164 (was 174--dropped 10lbs when I cut out bread).
- My day is usually black coffee w/ a titch of blue agave from 7am-1030ish followed by either eggs and potato hashbrowns or a Reds breakfast burrito. Typical lunch, sandwich, burger, etc. Then a Hello fresh dinner. Evening snack is a bowl of boring Rice Crispies.

Tonight's dinner will be a salad and homemade spaghetti which consists of gluten free noodles and grass fed beef.

*I also have a fresh fruit smoothie with baby spinach and ph1 tsp of psyllium husk to keep me regular.

Nice to hear most aren't having side effects. I have fibromyalgia, so I was concerned with the muscle ache claims as a top side effect.

I have been on statins for over 15 years and my numbers are way down from what they were when I started. I take a generic “Rosuvastatin”
I have a slight “statin cough” but it’s NBD.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Doc gave me a choice 15 years ago...diet or a statin.

Easy decision cause I love beer and burgers.

Been in the 160-180 range ever since. 5'10"/200lbs.

Good luck, OP.

I still don’t get how the cholesterol measure can be taken seriously when a component of it is HDL, something you want to be high.

I still don’t get how the cholesterol measure can be taken seriously when a component of it is HDL, something you want to be high.
Cholesterol is supposed to be an indicator, not the end all be all. I still think I have more things going in my favor than not.
  • HDL/LDL Ratio -🔴(Mine is not good. I need to get my HDL up.)
  • Triglycerides - ✅
  • Plaque Build-Up (Atherosclerosis) - ✅
  • Blood Pressure - ✅
  • Diabetes - ✅
  • Smoking - ✅
  • Obesity - ✅
  • Physical Inactivity - ✅
  • Diet -🔴
  • Family History -🔴
  • Inflammation (C-reactive protein) - ✅
  • Stress -🔴
  • Alcohol Consumption - ✅
  • Sleep Apnea - ✅

Have you had an AP0 A/B test? There are some indications that these numbers are more predictive than a lipid panel. I suspect the result wouldn't change the docs recommendations, however it might give you a sense of how aggressive you should be in trying to lower your cholesterol.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I’ve been on avorstatin for about 5 years. I have no idea if my numbers are significantly better or not but as long as the doctor wants me on them, I’ll comply. No side effects that I’ve ever noticed.

I actually don't eat a ton and all my other blood work is excellent and I mean pristine.

- My day is usually black coffee w/ a titch of blue agave from 7am-1030ish followed by either eggs and potato hashbrowns or a Reds breakfast burrito. Typical lunch, sandwich, burger, etc. Then a Hello fresh dinner. Evening snack is a bowl of boring Rice Crispies.

Tonight's dinner will be a salad and homemade spaghetti which consists of gluten free noodles and grass fed beef.

*I also have a fresh fruit smoothie with baby spinach and ph1 tsp of psyllium husk to keep me regular.
Based on this, your cholesterol issues sound genetic, which means unless you decide to only eat a few leaves every day, your numbers will be high unless you take something like a statin to manage it.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers and goldmom

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

Eat more oats.

JFC! You're boring 🤣

I need to do a better job with my diet.

• Haha

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

I was started on 40mg but I was having trouble concentrating, so my doc cut it to 20mg. My cholesterol was back to normal within a few months. Or at least that’s when I had my next blood test.

No noticeable side effects once I was taking 20mg.

My father struggled with high cholesterol and decided to try a vegan diet for six months to improve his health. Despite getting into excellent shape, his cholesterol levels remained high. Ultimately, he fell into the category of people who require statins to manage their cholesterol, which might be the case for you as well.

CHOLESTEROL 277 High
TRIGLYCERIDE 127
HDL 38

I’ve been on it 8 years. No side effects. But then my numbers weren’t in the death zone like yours!

When Joey bit you did he draw blood or gravy?

• Haha
Just take it. It works well and often people can't get their numbers down with just diet and exercise. The Internet horror stories about statins are entirely blown out of proportion.
Combine that w/ cooking up a big InstantPot of steel cut oats to eat w/ some fruit every morning...
Make a batch large enough for daily servings for the week...

Oatmeal raises blood sugar a good bit for a lot of people. (granted, steel cut oats are probably better)

IIRC...
Standard lipid panels are useful in a low resolution sort of way. Some people have high cholesterol and it's probably not an issue. Another poster mentioned it, and it's been a while since I read about it, but there are more granular measurements that get at precisely what is or isn't a problem with your cholesterol as it relates to heart disease, but it's not a widely adopted test.

When is an Apo B test performed?​

Healthcare providers can order an Apo B test when they want an additional way to measure your cardiovascular disease risk. Having another option can give them more information if you didn’t come out high or low in the usual risk factors. Also, they may want to order the test after you start taking a statin to lower your bad cholesterol.

Researchers have found that measuring Apo B may predict heart and blood vessel disease risk better than a lipid panel test. This is because each Apo B molecule carries one of the bad lipoproteins. They can get an accurate count because of the one-to-one ratio.

Providers can subtract your HDL cholesterol from your total cholesterol from lipid panel results as a way to predict cardiovascular disease. But this isn’t accurate for everyone. Apo B testing can be a better risk predictor for people with metabolic syndrome or diabetes because their LDL may be denser or smaller.

Reactions: Joes Place
I have gotten so much conflicting advice about cholesterol levels over the years. One doc immediately pushed statins, another said no problem, a third said let’s just monitor.

Oatmeal raises blood sugar a good bit for a lot of people. (granted, steel cut oats are probably better)

IIRC...
Standard lipid panels are useful in a low resolution sort of way. Some people have high cholesterol and it's probably not an issue. Another poster mentioned it, and it's been a while since I read about it, but there are more granular measurements that get at precisely what is or isn't a problem with your cholesterol as it relates to heart disease, but it's not a widely adopted test.

steel cut oats and regular oats have a much lower glycemic index than quick oats, which are what those little oatmeal packets are all comprised of. Those are pretty bad for glycemic index

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT