ADVERTISEMENT

high profile sports injuries

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
It amazes me that an NFL guy will get hurt Sunday and by Tuesday morning he’s having season ending surgery

I’m guessing a few people got their scheduled surgeries cancelled or moved back?

it’s not like these surgeons are just wide open to drop in like that, right?

I’d be pissed if that was my day and they said sorry Mr Running Back blew out his knee so your focked

It amazes me that an NFL guy will get hurt Sunday and by Tuesday morning he’s having season ending surgery

I’m guessing a few people got their scheduled surgeries cancelled or moved back?

I’d be pissed if that was my day and they said sorry Mr Running Back blew out his knee so your focked

Most of the football orthos are “team doctors” and leave appointments open after game days. The one I know leaves the first appointment of his Monday or Tuesday open, does all his surgeries those days, and then rounds the rest of the week. No injuries, and he just gets a later start.

To hear cons talk, we do have doctors just waiting around and that’s what makes our system great. Now you know why the NFL stays out of Canada.

Reactions: joelbc1
To hear cons talk, we do have doctors just waiting around and that’s what makes our system great. Now you know why the NFL stays out of Canada.

1439421-6.jpg

Yeah. Most of these docs are in a spot in their professions where they don’t have or need a full patient load. So it’s not like they have wall to wall surgeries, clinic or rounds.

My son tore his meniscus on a Friday and had surgery the following Monday.

Yeah. Most of these docs are in a spot in their professions where they don’t have or need a full patient load. So it’s not like they have wall to wall surgeries, clinic or rounds.
I'm also assuming these team docs are paid quite well too.

I think a lot of the doctors that do this specialize in the treatment of sports injuries.

I mean look at Dr. James Andrews. That dude is mildly famous for nothing other than performing surgeries on athletes.

I'm guessing that is all he does. And you probably have to be at the very least a high level D1 NCAA athlete to even see him at this point.

Most surgeons like to do surgery in the morning, and do followups and rounds in the afternoon.

Sometimes, when surgery is unavoidable and urgent, surgeons will do their cutting in the evening.

I actually have some experience with this, from a patient point of view. Eleven injury related surgeries. Four were within 1 day. The other 7 were fit into schedules.

Orthopedic surgeons don't just do surgery. They set fractures, and other treatments in the office.

Most of the football orthos are “team doctors” and leave appointments open after game days. The one I know leaves the first appointment of his Monday or Tuesday open, does all his surgeries those days, and then rounds the rest of the week. No injuries, and he just gets a later start.

This. Does OP not realize there is a lot of money in the NFL (and even NCAA)? They hire team doctors and ones that specialize in sports injuries, like orthopedic surgeons. It's not like these guys are going to an ER or calling up an insurance company and then picking a Dr. off a website. They purposely have designated MDs and get priority treatment.

BTW, one of FSU's team orthopedic doctors did a major knee surgery for me after I had 3 previous surgeries on that knee in 3 years because it kept getting re-injured. Fantastic job that held up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT