ADVERTISEMENT

Hire a defensive coach already

I agree with this, look at uni and Wisconsin, a lot of years they are not overly athletic but they still seem to be able to play pretty good d.

Wisconsin and UNI don't have a guy like Garza hedging out 20 feet and getting burned over the top and they don't sit back in zone. Mostly UNI/Wisconsin don't get into running games with teams like Michigan. There are recipes for winning with the guys Fran recruits but the other successful teams like UNI in past and Wisconsin in past don't involve a lot of zone defense and hurrying the ball down the court on offense, or trapping half court.

Rock has a good point about the only option is to do zone with Garza/Jbo. The guys Fran recruited for next class are more athetic so they should defend better. The question is they are rated low, so they have to have more offensive skills than their ratings suggest to be successful. Fran either got steals or busts.

I just think in general Fran needs to take a page from KF and shake up his staff. Get younger guys on the staff and someone with a little defensive acumen wouldn’t hurt.

Speraw and Dillard bring nothing to the table anymore. Speraw needs to retire and Dillard all he does is recruit and last recruiting cycle he didn’t pay off one bit.

Reactions: RocknRollface
The object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

And there are two ways to accomplish this,... We are pretty good at the first but lousy at the second,... 91 points is an adequate amount of offense to win most games...

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
My frustration with watching them on defense is when we are in a zone we so often have 2 guys passively step towards the ball on the perimeter. Then quick ball movement, slow rotations and inevitably an open look for the other team. This has gone on for years. Our communication and trust among teammates just isn't at a high level.

As previous posters have said- Garza and Jbo are such liabilities on perimeter defense its just hard to play MTM with them both on the court. Also, it increases their chance of foul trouble. If we are playing it, the opposing coach probably loves getting Garza 20 feet from the basket and the ball in the hands of whoever Bohannon has.

Why don't they just go under the ball screen, and have Luka or whomever sag off until the ball handler shows any ability or interest in shooting a pull up three off the dribble? Most of these guards coming off the ball screen aren't even thinking of taking that shot, and it's a lot harder to hit than a stand still catch and shoot 3. Iowa is hedging and going over the top on ball screens being set 30 feet from the basket. It hasn't worked for 10 years. At this point just try something different.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I don't believe Steve Alford was a super quick guard, but he managed to get open and score a lot. Indiana ran multiple back screens and other stuff to get him shots. So you don't have to be a lightening bolt to get open shots. You have to run plays for the shooters.

This was a perfectly fine thread until you mentioned HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED!

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
My frustration with watching them on defense is when we are in a zone we so often have 2 guys passively step towards the ball on the perimeter. Then quick ball movement, slow rotations and inevitably an open look for the other team. This has gone on for years. Our communication and trust among teammates just isn't at a high level.

As previous posters have said- Garza and Jbo are such liabilities on perimeter defense its just hard to play MTM with them both on the court. Also, it increases their chance of foul trouble. If we are playing it, the opposing coach probably loves getting Garza 20 feet from the basket and the ball in the hands of whoever Bohannon has.

This is so true. Or rotation, communication and movement on zone is so bad. Honestly not much better on man. It's amazing how many times you see a team move the ball around a little and get wide uncontested shots off our zone. It's one thing when other team is making contested shots but that's not the case with the Iowa zone.

I'd like to see Toussaint play up top on it more as season goes on (after I assume JBo redshirts rest of the year post ISU game). With all the switching up top having some one as quick as he is can do wonders for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT