ADVERTISEMENT

Hitler - A Brilliant Leader Who Just Went Too Far?

Exactly,.. Remove a few of his biggest flaws and Hitler could have been Germany's FDR.

Or you could compare the United States genocide of the Native Americans as very Nazi like.

All countries have their dark moments.

If the reparations, of the Treaty of Versailles, weren't so excessive and harsh, we might not have heard of hitler.

Its not that the Treaty of Versailles was too harsh, it was that it was both too harsh to prevent German hate and at the same time not harsh enough to prevent Germany from regaining the ability to act on the hate. Germany was neither pacified nor permanently weakened. Many of the contemporary critics of the treaty had called for the dissolution of Germany into several smaller states. The Allies issue is that they tried to compromise on the two competing approaches

I suppose there is some validity pertaining to Nationalism.
There is nothing wrong with Nationalism. You think being patriotic is evil? America brought democracy to most of the civilized world. Our market economy brought amazing innovations and discoveries to the world that made it a better place. (While our government sets an example of free and fair elections, unfortunately there are governments who hold rigged elections just so they can claim they were supported by their people.

America has been the greatest source of good for the world in the last two centuries. What other country defeats an enemy in battle like Germany and Japan, then gives the government back to the defeated people?

Trump reminds me of a combo of Mussolini and Andrew Jackson. Probably a bit of Teddy Roosevelt charisma.

There is nothing wrong with Nationalism. You think being patriotic is evil? America brought democracy to most of the civilized world. Our market economy brought amazing innovations and discoveries to the world that made it a better place. (While our government sets an example of free and fair elections, unfortunately there are governments who hold rigged elections just so they can claim they were supported by their people.

America has been the greatest source of good for the world in the last two centuries. What other country defeats an enemy in battle like Germany and Japan, then gives the government back to the defeated people?

Personally I think Nationalism is great. I’m not quite sure what I said that gave you the impression that I felt something was wrong with it.

Personally I think Nationalism is great. I’m not quite sure what I said that gave you the impression that I felt something was wrong with it.
Nationalism to an extent is perfectly fine. Too much of it and then you start to veer into fascist territory.

I find that time in history fascinating, done a great deal of reading on it.

If you have an interest in that area I recommend this book:

Link
Scary-from the link.

“What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.”--from Chapter 13, “But Then It Was Too Late”

We generally take the word "Leader" to mean positive leadership. We generally take the word "brilliant" to mean positive brilliance.

Hitler was undoubtedly a leader and he might have been brilliant - but he was evil. Sometimes brilliance comes with a dark side.

But to say anything positive about the man is absurd.

Scary-from the link.

“What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.”--from Chapter 13, “But Then It Was Too Late”

It is such a great read.

MAGA Nationalism is dangerous as eff. MAGAs have a misguided sense of what patriotism actually is. YOU don’t understand what it means to be patriotic to be honest.

MAGA Nationalism is dangerous as eff. MAGAs have a misguided sense of what patriotism actually is. YOU don’t understand what it means to be patriotic to be honest.
That must be what all you guys that sit around here and bitch about how shirty America are doing all day, that I can't comprehend.

Tell.me what dems do that is so great foe America, that isn't "Republicans are bad"

HBD BTW.

So, I heard something the other day and it hit me profoundly. Obviously we hear some.version of it thousands of times growing up but something about it, that day, stuck with me.

According to history, the winner, has never been wrong.

Great quote from a leader of Japan’s Unit 731. When asked if he would do it again he said “Of course, it’s war and you have to win”

If you don’t know about unit 731 and like history it’s great (terrible) stuff. Another scenario where we always use people like Mengele. The Japanese did the same thing. Why not use them as an example.

Reactions: sober_teacher

Just curious. What is your definition of Patriotism?

Would you consider Antifa to be dangerous? John Brown Gun Club? Oath Keepers?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
The left is like a woman who tells her boyfriend she loves him, but in reality she wants to change everything about him. The left always wants to change America. The right loves him warts and all.

Had he kept his alliance with Stalin, they don’t lose, we do
That non-aggression pact was always going to end. Neither hitler nor Stalin trusted the other to hold to it indefinitely. Hitler wanted it to buy time to deal with France and Britain without worrying about a second front. Stalin needed time to rebuild his armies after the officer purges in the mid 30s.

Just curious. What is your definition of Patriotism?

Would you consider Antifa to be dangerous? John Brown Gun Club? Oath Keepers?

Show me an Antifa. One,
A single Antifa.
Not an aberration or an accused or suspect.

Show me an Antifa. One,
A single Antifa.
Not an aberration or an accused or suspect.

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking.

As far as my question to Tom I was just curious about his thoughts

What are your thoughts on Antifa?

I really don’t have a ‘political’ agenda on most of my questions, I just am curious about the thoughts of others

The left is like a woman who tells her boyfriend she loves him, but in reality she wants to change everything about him. The left always wants to change America. The right loves him warts and all.

The Right smells like the sewer it comes from. And who loves the stench of a sewer?

That non-aggression pact was always going to end. Neither hitler nor Stalin trusted the other to hold to it indefinitely. Hitler wanted it to buy time to deal with France and Britain without worrying about a second front. Stalin needed time to rebuild his armies after the officer purges in the mid 30s.
Oh, I’ve read the rise and fall. Hitler and Stalin had ego and insecurities that caused the death of millions. If that had formed a solid alliance, who would have stopped them?

Reactions: WSC72
Oh, I’ve read the rise and fall. Hitler and Stalin had ego and insecurities that caused the death of millions. If that had formed a solid alliance, who would have stopped them?
IF is a very large word there. I've never read anything to suggest that non-aggression pact had any chance to be long-term.

To be clear - it was very definitely a non-aggression pact, not an actual alliance.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I’m not sure exactly what you are asking.

As far as my question to Tom I was just curious about his thoughts

What are your thoughts on Antifa?

I really don’t have a ‘political’ agenda on most of my questions, I just am curious about the thoughts of others

You asked if Antifa is dangerous. Your question may have been directed towards an individual but by virtue of the open format it becomes open season. It's your prerogative to answer, of course.

I would think this question can be considered political or cultural.

My unspoken point is the constant drumbeat of Antifa threat on the U.S. population by the conservative media has no relevance. It is total bullshit.

You asked if Antifa is dangerous. Your question may have been directed towards an individual but by virtue of the open format it becomes open season. It's your prerogative to answer, of course.

I would think this question can be considered political or cultural.

My unspoken point is the constant drumbeat of Antifa threat on the U.S. population by the conservative media has no relevance. It is total bullshit.

Thanks. I appreciate your response.

I suppose I was trying to understand his political views, so I see why you would consider it that way. I was not trying to push a specific agenda.

Do you think groups like the Proud Boys are?

I’ll ask you the same question I asked Tom. What does Patriotism mean to you ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT