ADVERTISEMENT

Holy STINGrays, Batman! YOUCH!

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

She was wading in knee-deep water at this Florida beach. Then came a barbed sea creature​

RUSKIN, Fla. - A sunny day at the beach turned into a week-long hospital stay for an Apollo Beach woman after she was punctured in the back on Tuesday by a stingray's venomous spine.

Kristie O'Brien was visiting Ruskin's Bahia Beach with her husband when she decided to cool off and waded into the water, only about knee-deep.

The stingray barb was 4 inches inside Kristie O'Brien's back.

The stingray barb was 4 inches inside Kristie O'Brien's back. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.
"As soon as I hit the water, I felt like I had been stung by something," O'Brien said.

When she leaned forward to get out of the water, her husband, back on the beach, was horrified by what he saw: a live stingray hanging by its tail from O'Brien's back, its venomous spine puncturing her skin to the center of her right shoulder.

O'Brien estimates the barb was more than four inches deep inside her back, missing her lung by mere centimeters.

Woman impaled by stingray barb​

An Apollo Beach woman is recovering in the hospital after being impaled by a stingray while wading in the water in Ruskin. Matthew McClellan reports.
She told FOX 13 News that with the stingray visibly agitated, she knew not to move, telling her husband not to pull the barb out.

"I was trying to stay as calm as I could," O'Brien said, "But I was certain that I was going to die because, I mean, like everyone has like this picture of (television's Crocodile Hunter) Steve Irwin when he literally was punctured and his chest."

Irwin was killed by a stingray in 2006 while filming in the Great Barrier Reef.

Paramedics freed O'Brien in the water using shears to cut the stingray at the base of its tail. At the hospital, a trauma team carefully removed the spine. As of Friday, O'Brien was still being treated for poisoning from the stingray's venom.

Side-by-side-images-of-back-and-tail.jpg

Side by side images of Kristie O'Brien's back with the stingray barb and the barb after it was removed. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.

Based on the color and size, it is believed to have been the Southern stingray which, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, is a non-aggressive species of little danger to humans except for their defensive barb near the base of its tail, used when a threat is perceived. Wildlife officials say beachgoers should practice the 'stingray shuffle' to reduce the chances of stepping on a stingray.

O'Brien said she expects to remain at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa for at least seven days in case of any bacterial infection from the water.

"It's still incredibly sore there. It's like spurts of pain. And they say that's just because of the toxin that's actually in the barb of the stingray itself," she said.

Kristie O'Brien and family at the beach. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.

After speaking with her medical care team, the mom of three told FOX 13 most had never treated a puncture wound exactly like this, underscoring how unusual it is for someone to experience upper-body trauma from a stingray.

As a longtime Florida resident, O'Brien said she is not afraid of getting back into the water.

"I'll go back in the water again, probably (just) not in the bay. I probably won't be swimming in the bay," she said. "But I mean, stingrays are out there and we're in their environment."

A GoFundMe has been set up to help with O'Brien's medical bills.

A go fund me page? Wouldn’t insurance pay for this? I don’t know, but we have good, comprehensive insurance from UIHC. Unless they lack coverage.

A go fund me page? Wouldn’t insurance pay for this? I don’t know, but we have good, comprehensive insurance from UIHC. Unless they lack coverage.

Insurance has deductibles and often doesn’t cover 100% of every everything, even after the deductible is met.

A week long hospital stay with emergency surgeries and treatments could easily cost thousands of dollars, even after insurance in the US.

Remember kids, shuffle those feet when you get into the water at the beach. I've had some near misses with stingrays over the years including one time snorkeling, I was about to put my feet down when I saw the eyes looking up from the sand and then it suddenly swam off. They settle on the bottom and then cover themselves in sand for camouflage.

I'm amazed people don't get stabbed during those "stingray encounters" on cruise ship excursions and at resorts where a bunch of people wade in the water with stingrays and feed/pet them. No thanks.

tumblr_nyy6vx1LU81qckzoqo1_500.gif

Grew up fishing the flats in the IRL and probably stepped on or nudged hundreds of them. Even doing the stingray shuffle, the feeling of that slimy, fluttering body under my foot has always given me the willies. Thank god they never stuck me, as I've been told it's one of the most painful things to go through. Some of those suckered get pretty damn big and are called doormats for a reason. Couldn't imagine getting stuck in the back, that lady is damn lucky!

Insurance has deductibles and often doesn’t cover 100% of every everything, even after the deductible is met.

A week long hospital stay with emergency surgeries and treatments could easily cost thousands of dollars, even after insurance in the US.
Yeah, but that's life. I guess I don't understand why everyone airs their business. Assuming they have the money for 3 kids and a decent social life, they should be able to manage some bills without banging a tin cup. They haven't received bills, yet.

Reactions: EagleHawk
Good Lord.

The article didn't really explain how, in knee deep water, she got stabbed near her shoulder blade. Do these dam things jump out of the water? Just how big was that ray?

Nasty.
I read in another article she was in knee deep water and purposely fell back into the water (like the old Nestea plunge commercials).

ltXJru.gif

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

She was wading in knee-deep water at this Florida beach. Then came a barbed sea creature​

RUSKIN, Fla. - A sunny day at the beach turned into a week-long hospital stay for an Apollo Beach woman after she was punctured in the back on Tuesday by a stingray's venomous spine.

Kristie O'Brien was visiting Ruskin's Bahia Beach with her husband when she decided to cool off and waded into the water, only about knee-deep.

The stingray barb was 4 inches inside Kristie O'Brien's back. 'Brien's back.

The stingray barb was 4 inches inside Kristie O'Brien's back. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.
"As soon as I hit the water, I felt like I had been stung by something," O'Brien said.

When she leaned forward to get out of the water, her husband, back on the beach, was horrified by what he saw: a live stingray hanging by its tail from O'Brien's back, its venomous spine puncturing her skin to the center of her right shoulder.

O'Brien estimates the barb was more than four inches deep inside her back, missing her lung by mere centimeters.

Woman impaled by stingray barb​

An Apollo Beach woman is recovering in the hospital after being impaled by a stingray while wading in the water in Ruskin. Matthew McClellan reports.
She told FOX 13 News that with the stingray visibly agitated, she knew not to move, telling her husband not to pull the barb out.

"I was trying to stay as calm as I could," O'Brien said, "But I was certain that I was going to die because, I mean, like everyone has like this picture of (television's Crocodile Hunter) Steve Irwin when he literally was punctured and his chest."

Irwin was killed by a stingray in 2006 while filming in the Great Barrier Reef.

Paramedics freed O'Brien in the water using shears to cut the stingray at the base of its tail. At the hospital, a trauma team carefully removed the spine. As of Friday, O'Brien was still being treated for poisoning from the stingray's venom.

Side-by-side-images-of-back-and-tail.jpg

Side by side images of Kristie O'Brien's back with the stingray barb and the barb after it was removed. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.

Based on the color and size, it is believed to have been the Southern stingray which, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, is a non-aggressive species of little danger to humans except for their defensive barb near the base of its tail, used when a threat is perceived. Wildlife officials say beachgoers should practice the 'stingray shuffle' to reduce the chances of stepping on a stingray.

O'Brien said she expects to remain at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa for at least seven days in case of any bacterial infection from the water.

"It's still incredibly sore there. It's like spurts of pain. And they say that's just because of the toxin that's actually in the barb of the stingray itself," she said.

Kristie O'Brien and family at the beach. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien. 'Brien and family at the beach. Image is courtesy of Kristie O'Brien.

After speaking with her medical care team, the mom of three told FOX 13 most had never treated a puncture wound exactly like this, underscoring how unusual it is for someone to experience upper-body trauma from a stingray.

As a longtime Florida resident, O'Brien said she is not afraid of getting back into the water.

"I'll go back in the water again, probably (just) not in the bay. I probably won't be swimming in the bay," she said. "But I mean, stingrays are out there and we're in their environment."

A GoFundMe has been set up to help with O'Brien's medical bills.
The worst part of this story is that she needs a GoFundMe to help pay for her medical treatment. It is just so insane the way we do healthcare in this country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT