Princeton- 7,940
Purdue- 8,122
ISU- 9,751
Lehigh- 7,434
Rutgers- 8,500
Maryland- 9,738
Indiana- 8,199
Average- 8,526

I think more needs to be done next year to drive these numbers back up. I fully understand this year’s schedule was extremely weak and the weather was pretty bad on a lot of these dates, but a big claim to fame for Iowa is that it packs the house. I feel that is a big recruiting draw. Plus the more fans that come the more opportunities they have to learn about the inner circle and how they can be a part of it.

Princeton- 7,940
Purdue- 8,122
ISU- 9,751
Lehigh- 7,434
Rutgers- 8,500
Maryland- 9,738
Indiana- 8,199
Average- 8,526

I think more needs to be done next year to drive these numbers back up. I fully understand this year’s schedule was extremely weak and the weather was pretty bad on a lot of these dates, but a big claim to fame for Iowa is that it packs the house. I feel that is a big recruiting draw. Plus the more fans that come the more opportunities they have to learn about the inner circle and how they can be a part of it.

Just curious -- are those numbers ticket sales or butts in seats?

Drove from Des Moines for Princeton, Lehigh, and Maryland. Would’ve went to Rutgers but weather was bad

These numbers are impressive or what we had. name one solid dual we had at home. Ipwa state ended up being a pleasant surprise but when you wrestle those other squads no one gets excited.

Princeton- 7,940
Purdue- 8,122
ISU- 9,751
Lehigh- 7,434
Rutgers- 8,500
Maryland- 9,738
Indiana- 8,199
Average- 8,526

Lacking any sort of marquee draw those are really good numbers. Over 8k for Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana? Sorry but very few other schools would come close to those numbers.

I'm not sure who is in charge of Big10 scheduling but to not have Iowa wrestle PSU, OSU or michigan is idiotic.

Princeton- 7,940
Purdue- 8,122
ISU- 9,751
Lehigh- 7,434
Rutgers- 8,500
Maryland- 9,738
Indiana- 8,199
Average- 8,526

Your entire premise is false. Packing the house was never Iowa's claim to fame. You thought Iowa historically sold out for the Indianas and Purdues? Really?

Outdrawing the rest of the country is Iowa's claim to fame. Pretty sure that despite an awful home schedule Iowa fans did that yet again despite the claims of some fans it wouldn't happen this year.

Nearly 10K people to watch Maryland, virtually the same attendance as ISU? 8200 to watch Indiana on the same weekend as the state wrestling tournament? The story is a positive one, not a negative.

Isnt the proposed new facility only going to seat about 6k? It needs to seat 10k to meet demand. $$ will be the X factor to this.

Princeton- 7,940
Purdue- 8,122
ISU- 9,751
Lehigh- 7,434
Rutgers- 8,500
Maryland- 9,738
Indiana- 8,199
Average- 8,526

As others have mentioned, with that schedule, a couple snow storms thrown in, and competing with the high school state tournament... pretty damned good turnout.

Reactions: 24 so far
These numbers are impressive or what we had. name one solid dual we had at home. Ipwa state ended up being a pleasant surprise but when you wrestle those other squads no one gets excited.
There were a lot of factors that should have driven down attendance this year including but not limited to: 1) weak schedule, 2) poor weather, and 3) Friday Night competition with other events (State wrestling tournament?) , 4) Lineup? No I don't count that b/c we usually didn't who was / wasn't going to wrestle ahead of time.

In a reg. year, we should have had a lot more 6,000 duals but attendance was solid. What if we could has hosted a few good drawing teams: OkieSt, tOSU, Mich, PSU, Minn, or NE?

Also, in general, I wonder why Iowa fans are more excited about wrestlng right now?

5k at best. Sadly that is a good crowd for the Pokes.

Dude.... Are you seriously this dense? The question is how many folks would show up AT HOME (Iowa City) to see the Pokes wrestle the Hawks. I promise there would be more than 5K fans in seats that you predict would show up in Stillwater.

And polar plunge. I’m not saying the numbers are bad. I just think more could be done to get the numbers higher.

Just stop...

Based on the level of competition our attendance numbers are off the freaking charts.

Averaging 8500 per with that dog crap schedule? Seriously, who brings 8k to watch freaking Purdue and Indiana?

The only thing that will improve those numbers is a marquee opponent; PSU, Okie, OSU, NU. Attendance is great, like always!

Dude.... Are you seriously this dense? The question is how many folks would show up AT HOME (Iowa City) to see the Pokes wrestle the Hawks. I promise there would be more than 5K fans in seats that you predict would show up in Stillwater.
Oh darn. My bad. Sold out of course! Come to Stillwater anyway.

Yeah between the weather and not knowing who we were putting out on the mat on a weekly basis kept a lot of fans away. Can't have such a weak schedule again, man that was awful!
Nothing you can do with the BIG schedule... it rotates through a set schedule every three years. Just dumb planning with the BIG front office.

I fully understand this year’s schedule was extremely weak and the weather was pretty bad on a lot of these dates, but . . .
So what don''t you understand? Want build the numbers? Then schedule top teams for home meets. This years home schedule was the poorest in years.
Also, three more things: recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting.

The weather? Iowans are used to this stuff, or should be.

Reactions: OliverBabcock
I've purchased thousands of tickets at a variety of schools. Iowa has the least attractive group ticket package of any that I have dealt with: 20 ticket minimum and $8 per ticket ($10 for "premium" meets). Thanks to your generosity, we had 40 kids and chaperones at last night's meet, but can send far more kids to meets at other schools for the same investment.

Reactions: OliverBabcock
I've purchased thousands of tickets at a variety of schools. Iowa has the least attractive group ticket package of any that I have dealt with: 20 ticket minimum and $8 per ticket ($10 for "premium" meets). Thanks to your generosity, we had 40 kids and chaperones at last night's meet, but can send far more kids to meets at other schools for the same investment.
Jim, that is an important point. Can we get you in touch with someone at UI who could work out a better deal for group tickets?
Butts in seats are just as important as revenue. If the same amount of revenue can be generated with 8,000 or 11,000, why not have 11,000? It's good for the team, good for the fans, and good for wrestling.

Reactions: pumpdog20

This does make sense. Far greater demand for Iowa tickets vs the rest of the country so tickets will naturally be higher priced. That said, W4L is a great cause and someone should get you an audience with the right people to see if you can get an even better deal vs. just the standard group rates.

If the same amount of revenue can be generated with 8,000 or 11,000, why not have 11,000? It's good for the team, good for the fans, and good for wrestling.

I highly doubt that there's a demand elasticity for Iowa wrestling tickets. The ticket isn't high priced to start with so lowering the price isn't likely to lead to greater ticket sales. Can't say I've ever heard someone say that price is the reason for not attending.

On a related note, Mizzou is hosting their biggest dual of the year today, Okie State. They broke their program's single meet attendance record by 2,000 fans. The count? 4,700. But Iowa has an attendance problem for averaging 8500 in a season where it didn't host a single big dual? Ok.

Someone needs to forward this to the dipshits in the athletic department.

On a related note, Mizzou is hosting their biggest dual of the year today, Okie State. They broke their program's single meet attendance record by 2,000 fans. The count? 4,700.

On takedown wrestling this morning, they said that dual was held in the building next to where State wrestling was taking place and the start time of the dual coincided with the first session end.

Just stop...

Based on the level of competition our attendance numbers are off the freaking charts.

Averaging 8500 per with that dog crap schedule? Seriously, who brings 8k to watch freaking Purdue and Indiana?

The only thing that will improve those numbers is a marquee opponent; PSU, Okie, OSU, NU. Attendance is great, like always!

This is the only way and that’s that

There were a lot of factors that should have driven down attendance this year including but not limited to: 1) weak schedule, 2) poor weather, and 3) Friday Night competition with other events (State wrestling tournament?) , 4) Lineup? No I don't count that b/c we usually didn't who was / wasn't going to wrestle ahead of time.

In a reg. year, we should have had a lot more 6,000 duals but attendance was solid. What if we could has hosted a few good drawing teams: OkieSt, tOSU, Mich, PSU, Minn, or NE?

Also, in general, I wonder why Iowa fans are more excited about wrestlng right now?

I absolutely agree. There has been very crap weather for some of these meets and that doesn’t help at all.

Also why schedule the Iowa State dual on opening weekend for high school wrestling. Terrible placement for dates. Also did forget about state wrestling last night. Silly silly silly.

As for the lineup deal I agree and disagree on this one. I agree some nights the lineup sucks and we like to see the starters wrestler. But this year was kind of an anomaly. Lots of sickness and injuries have happened having starters every dual meet. We started the year missing a top 5 at 174 and Spencer got sick and he missed time. That stuff we can’t change but I do know it did affect the attendance for the casual fans. My wife ain’t going to see backups. That’s a -1 from this house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT