ADVERTISEMENT

Home Depot issues warning about the economy - CNN

KFsdisciple

HB Legend
Jul 3, 2003
CNN

Home Depot says consumers are feeling crummy about the economy, and they’re dishing out less to remodel their homes.

The home improvement giant, a bellwether of consumer spending and the housing market, lowered its sales expectations for the year. It said customers were spending less on home improvement projects, pressured by higher interest rates and concerns that the economy is getting worse.

“During the quarter, higher interest rates and greater macro-economic uncertainty pressured consumer demand more broadly, resulting in weaker spend across home improvement projects,” Ted Decker, Home Depot’s CEO, said in a news release.

Home Depot said Tuesday it expects sales at stores open at least 12 months to fall between 3% and 4% this year compared to last year. That’s down from its earlier estimate that sales would fall about 1% by that measure.

Consumer demand for home improvement has been slumping for about a year, and the company said the story hasn’t changed much. Still, Decker remained optimistic, saying “The underlying long-term fundamentals supporting home improvement demand are strong.”

Home Depot’s (HD) stock fell nearly 5% in premarket trading.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account at CNN.com

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk
Just straight shooters

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
Home depot's owner historically has been a massive Trump supporter. Do you really think with Biden in the WH he would say the economy was going great.

Seems to me that Home Depots problems are a Home Depot problem. Lowes was around $170 a share when Biden took over at around $230 a share now.
So due to his political leanings... we should ignore this one? Or simply dismiss it as right wing talking points?

Yeah, only the US' economy was a disaster in 2020... maybe we rebounded so well because of the foundation that was in place. Then of course 9% inflation happened under Joey's watch.

It happened because consumers started buying so much stuff, mostly because credit was cheap, and easily obtainable. They persisted in buying shit when trucks/SUVs rose to $80k because of their own greed. We Americans, have an odd sense of entitlement compared to past generations

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
Seems to me that Home Depots problems are a Home Depot problem. Lowes was around $170 a share when Biden took over at around $230 a share now.
This was one of my first thoughts… is this happening across the industry or just to this player? It’s possible they’re all suffering but it’s also possible that other competitors like Lowe’s are just stealing market share.

Late COVID period and shortly thereafter was also a high water mark for home improvement projects, so it’s also possible that this was the inevitable pullback from historic highs, in terms of volume.

And finally, to the extent that sales levels were impacted by outsized commodity pricing brought on by supply issues, some of the $value decline could also be related to that, even if volumes were the same or higher.

All this to say, there are many possible explanations for what’s being reported at Home Depot.

So due to his political leanings... we should ignore this one? Or simply dismiss it as right wing talking points?

Yeah that and the fact that the right has been calling for a recession just around the corner pretty much since Biden took office and it hasn't happened yet.

You've been crying wolf for 4 years.

You guys have been re-defining terms for the last 4 years so what would be a recession isn't... what would be a vaccine isn't... what would be a woman isn't.

As far as I know a recession is still 2 straight quarters with GDP shrinking.

A vaccine was also always something that prevented an illness or made and illness less severe. The Flu vaccine was always a vaccine even though it didn't prevent the flu. Just made the illness less severe.

The woman thing I kind of agree with you on but I'd rather be losing that argument than losing the argument that the person who gets less votes should lose the election gracefully instead of claiming voter fraud and trying to tear apart democracy to keep themselves in power.

Home depot's owner historically has been a massive Trump supporter. Do you really think with Biden in the WH he would say the economy was going great.

Fwiw - Lowes and hime depot stock have mirrored for the last 10 qtrs.
Just sayin.

Do you want prices to stabilize or not? People need to stop buying sh!t for a while. You can’t have both.
This is already happening- price resistance is rippling throughout the economy.
Why, the line last week at TJ Maxx was almost too long. 😏
J/K I don’t understand why people pay full price for anything unless it’s unavoidable.
I had to get a new battery for my car yesterday and I asked for a discount- guy said sure. I got $40 off.

I do understand that some folks may not have the time or ability to price shop - if you live in a rural location or work long hours and don’t have the time - but we have more choices than we used to.
I think price resistance is going to be a factor shaking up the economy going forward.

Credit car debt at a national level is insanely high. People might be tapped out on credit also.

But Apple. People will starve their kids and let their cars get repossessed before they give up the cellular crack.

Yeah, only the US' economy was a disaster in 2020... maybe we rebounded so well because of the foundation that was in place. Then of course 9% inflation happened under Joey's watch.
So you want acknowledgment of worldwide economic problems in 2020 but don’t acknowledge worse worldwide inflation elsewhere during Biden’s term. Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT