ADVERTISEMENT

Home security/doorbell cams

Feb 9, 2013
My wife wants to get a doorbell cam, but the two-part problem is (1) our front door faces diagonal, and (2) the frame containing the doorbell is too narrow to accommodate a Ring/Nest/Eufy-type cam.

My question is, anyone know of any reasonably-priced camera system that will do what the doorbells will do but without the doorbell functionality?

We use the Google products. They are ok and do about everything we need them to. There are some aftermarket products that allow you to angle the doorbell camera or adjust it so you get a better view.

Reactions: GOHOX69
My wife wants to get a doorbell cam, but the two-part problem is (1) our front door faces diagonal, and (2) the frame containing the doorbell is too narrow to accommodate a Ring/Nest/Eufy-type cam.

My question is, anyone know of any reasonably-priced camera system that will do what the doorbells will do but without the doorbell functionality?

Ring makes a reasonably priced outdoor light/camera system that I had installed on the back of my no-pic mom's house. It works great and is tied into the doorbell feature, but I imagine it would work very well as a stand-alone option.

They all are fine. None are great none are awful. Well except Amazon knock offs. We have used ring, arlo and Google. They all have pretty much the same features and similar price points/subscription fees. Pick the system that is easy to integrate with your other smart home stuff. Have kept ring the longest, still have. Doesn’t mean anything.

We use ring. You might be surprised by the field of view. Moreover, regardless of where you mount it, it will chime and give you a phone alert when someone is approaching that door. On Friday, I had an Amazon prime delivery at 5am. That's hardcore and beyond stupid but the ring captured the guy.

Ring pro here- it fit into a very small spot and is angled for a good view even though it’s in a weird spot.

I was surprised at the footprint this thing was able to fit in, and the quality.

Have you had crime/thefts in the area? I don't find them worth it, personally.

Oh side note, ring has this thing called neighbors. It’s like a community message thing: storm warnings, lost pets, missing mail, etc. But the funny thing about it is everyone thinks they hear gunshots. Like every hour some old person is posting about a loud gunshot they heard.

I am just struggling to figure out where I can mount anything.
Wacky Races Lol GIF by Boomerang Official

Have you had crime/thefts in the area? I don't find them worth it, personally.

Ring and other similar options are incredibly cheap and do not require a monthly monitoring expense. Notification of packages being delivered is worth the cost. Add in the ability to remotely tell door knockers to get off your lawn, and the "worth" is easy to see.

That's what I'm thinking. There probably is some value to advertisers in monitoring what happens at your house.
There’s more than that even. There are people who want to monitor everything we do for a lot of reasons.

There’s more than that even. There are people who want to monitor everything we do for a lot of reasons.

Bravo, I applaud people who eschew digital footprints.
The ease of use of smartphones is great, but the footprint is huge, so not using one in this day and age is commendable.

You don’t have to install it where the current bell is. You can run it off rechargeable batteries and mount it wherever you want. Just make sure there is decent wifi coverage.
Can confirm- my old one was battery powered. Lasted about a month then needed to charge for a few hours. Was super easy to pop off and charge, because I didn’t mess with the tiny security screw thing

I may be in the minority, but I’m not of fan of being monitored on someone’s camera every time I’m outside. A little too Big Brother for me.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I want so bad to vacation to your area and show you how to balance a pool, setup a security system and do other manly things. With your hunger to learn we could cover everything in day.
Eh, I could do it but I’m not cutting into a side window frame for a doorbell.
The rest is brick and Im definitely not drilling into that.

You don’t have to install it where the current bell is. You can run it off rechargeable batteries and mount it wherever you want. Just make sure there is decent wifi coverage.
I thought about that but really don’t want two doorbells. Between the narrow existing frame, decorative window frame and brick, there just isn’t room.

Because I don’t want to mount a doorbell in brick, in addition to having to fix the area where I’d remove the old doorbell. Waste of time and effort.
You put a Ring camera where you doorbell is and mount battery run Ring cameras wherever the hell you want. Patching a 1/4” hole in brick is silicone topped with the dust of the same colored brick. Nobody would notice but you. Just do Ring. I’ll stop now.

You put a Ring camera where you doorbell is and mount battery run Ring cameras wherever the hell you want. Patching a 1/4” hole in brick is silicone topped with the dust of the same colored brick. Nobody would notice but you. Just do Ring. I’ll stop now.
It doesn’t fit where the doorbell is. I’d have to cut part of the wood trim and I’m not doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT