ADVERTISEMENT

Home security/doorbell cams

I’ve got an Arlo system. Doorbell Cameras, a lighted driveway/street/front property camera, and three cameras in the rear. Mostly just see wildlife at night in the back yard. Arlo is OK. You just need to remove and recharge the batteries (other than doorbell cameras) 3-4 times per year. Doesn’t take long

It doesn’t fit where the doorbell is. I’d have to cut part of the wood trim and I’m not doing that.
Obviously you and have agreed in the past we aren’t that “handy”- so I didn’t install mine someone else did cause electricity was involved and I’m a poosay.

The spot where my old doorbell was is maybe an inch wide- and the ring pro fit right there with no wood cutting or alterations. I mean standard 80’s vertical doorbell button

Gotcha. You need confidence and know how, that’s why I’m coming over. **** that trim.
Ok. You’re not understanding what I’m saying.

I can do it. I don’t want to do it. I don’t cut into trim or drill into brick for stuff like a battery-operated video doorbell that will probably last a year or two. And then have to f around mounting something else or covering up the holes or whatever. Just not doing it.

Reactions: TennNole17
Obviously you and have agreed in the past we aren’t that “handy”- so I didn’t install mine someone else did cause electricity was involved and I’m a poosay.

The spot where my old doorbell was is maybe an inch wide- and the ring pro fit right there with no wood cutting or alterations. I mean standard 80’s vertical doorbell button
I will look into it again. Last time I looked the available options were too wide for the existing slot. I checked b/c I’d much prefer to wire it up in the same spot as the current doorbell.

Reactions: TennNole17
I will look into it again. Last time I looked the available options were too wide for the existing slot. I checked b/c I’d much prefer to wire it up in the same spot as the current doorbell.
Yeah the new ones are super slim- I can see if I have the box for mine for dimensions, or send you a picture of my old doorbell (there’s a picture from inspection cause it was cracked or something) to give you an idea

Edit:

This is what I replaced basically :

Ring makes a reasonably priced outdoor light/camera system that I had installed on the back of my no-pic mom's house. It works great and is tied into the doorbell feature, but I imagine it would work very well as a stand-alone option.
We know. We all wave at it when we stop by.

I have no desire for a video doorbell. Living in the country I probably should add one just to see what's going on since we don't have a neighbor on that side of our house.

I did spend a decent amount on a 4 camera wireless camera setup for my barn so I can check livestock from anywhere in the world...priorities I guess.

Reactions: seminole97
I had to go to Etsy and get a 3D printed mount when we moved due to the same issue. The mount is slim against the house to get the doorbell a couple inches further out. Mounting varies by model so you'd need to search something like "Ring 4 doorbell slim mount" and you should see a ton of options.

We had some Amazon package stealing incidents in the neighborhood several years ago so decided to get a camera to monitor front door. Didn't really feel the need for a doorbell one. Got a cheapo rechargeable camera off Amazon that has been doing fine for over 5 years now. I only have to recharge it every three months or so. I installed it following this so that didn't have to drill into anything and if wasn't happy with it, didn't leave any trace.

We use ring. You might be surprised by the field of view. Moreover, regardless of where you mount it, it will chime and give you a phone alert when someone is approaching that door. On Friday, I had an Amazon prime delivery at 5am. That's hardcore and beyond stupid but the ring captured the guy.
Why is that stupid?

No one needs Amazon deliveries at 5am. That's why. Give the poor drivers a break.
I've seen that popup as an option now and again where you can select delivery between 4-8 am. Agree it's dumb but i guess it gives some a little opportunity for a side job like newspaper delivery people if those are still around.

I've seen that popup as an option now and again where you can select delivery between 4-8 am. Agree it's dumb but i guess it gives some a little opportunity for a side job like newspaper delivery people if those are still around.
Last week I ordered a new kindle after I killed my last one and there was a delivery option of 4-8. I chose 8-11 so I didn't get a ring notice freaking me out in the middle of the night.
Guy delivered it at 4:30 anyway.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I had a similar issue when I wanted to amp up my home security. Ended up going with a Vivint home security system. They've got cameras that don't need a doorbell setup, so you can place them wherever works best for you. Plus, they're pretty reasonable on the pricing front.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT