ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully there is a ton of players sitting out bowl games

Win5002

HR MVP
Jan 3, 2006
I can't blame Goodson or any other kids sitting out college bowl games. These games are nothing but a post-season exhibition game designed for some fans to take a vacation somewhere that involves attending a game. Why should kids risk their future financial security for a meaningless game. Not to mention how fans are robbed of a real ending to CFB.

Hopefully, the CFP gets expanded to 24 or let each league have a 4-6 team conference playoff(depending on the size of the league, if leagues are 16 or over 6 teams are fine), just take the top 6 league champions and have a seeded 6 team CFP. You purposefully, do a 6 team playoff, NO AT LARGE BIRTHS. That way EVERY team plays their way in, no committees, polls or other b.s. its a real playoff. If you leave the last week of the season as a floating game and start the playoffs that week and assign every team in the league that isn't involved that round a game it won't add any additional games. You can do some form of ticket revenue sharing for the last game either between the two teams or across the league. Every single one of those conference playoff games would be must see because they mean something as opposed to post season exhibition bowl games.

So many of 50+ hold on to some of the asinine facets of CFB like polls and bowl games instead of playing your way into a meaningful number of playoff teams. They care more about a parade or a souvenir sweatshirt they bought at a bowl game instead of a real football ending. Hey, lets schedule a "post season EXHIBITION football game 4 weeks after the season has been played and expect a great game"!

Last edited:
If you're scared of injury, then why play at the in the first place at the start of the season? It's an unpopular opinion but I think players should stay and play. At the end of the day it's his decision and not much anyone else can do. Still wish him luck and hope the best for him.

I can't blame Goodson or any other kids sitting out college bowl games. These games are nothing but a post-season exhibition game designed for some fans to take a vacation somewhere that involves attending a game. Why should kids risk their future financial security for a meaningless game. Not to mention how fans are robbed of a real ending to CFB.

Hopefully, the CFP gets expanded to 24 or let each league have a 4-6 team conference playoff(depending on the size of the league, if leagues are 16 or over 6 teams are fine), just take the top 6 league champions and have a seeded 6 team CFP. You purposefully, do a 6 team playoff, NO AT LARGE BIRTHS. That way EVERY team plays their way in, no committees, polls or other b.s. its a real playoff. If you leave the last week of the season as a floating game and start the playoffs that week and assign every team in the league that isn't involved that round a game it won't add any additional games. You can do some form of ticket revenue sharing for the last game either between the two teams or across the league. Every single one of those conference playoff games would be must see because they mean something as opposed to post season exhibition bowl games.
Yoo is a ideit!

By that logic why play in the regular season at all? 90% of games are "meaningless" by your metrics.
That's a fallacy, more games are meaningful under my scenario because you have more teams competing for more spots at the end of the season. You can't have a higher number of meaningful games in a playoff that selects 4 teams versus a scenario where 6 leagues have a minimum of 4 spots each that are being played out for.

What really happens is most teams season are done after one loss, some schools get the priviledge of making it with one loss.

That's a fallacy, more games are meaningful under my scenario because you have more teams competing for more spots at the end of the season. You can't have a higher number of meaningful games in a playoff that selects 4 teams versus a scenario where 6 leagues have a minimum of 4 spots each that are being played out for.

What really happens is most teams season are done after one loss, some schools get the priviledge of making it with one loss.
And you have more blowout losses and flat out uncompetitive games in the playoffs than you would now.

As much shit as the committee gets, they usually get it right, and there's at most one or two teams per season that deserve to be in but get left out. 8 max, and keep the bowl system that makes D1 CFB unique.

So shut your season down possibly after one loss then. For sure after two. Just stop playing the meaningless year.

I think it's fine, but I don't like the notion of calling a bowl game, exhibition & meaningless.

May be a bit old fashioned, but it's a chance to get more wins on the books and against another conference no less. Not to mention some great snaps for new faces.

So shut your season down possibly after one loss then. For sure after two. Just stop playing the meaningless year.
That is the conclusion you get to if you take all of this far enough. By the logic of the committee putting in the "best teams" in a 4-team playoff, the NCAA basketball tournament should be only the 1 and 2 seeds since they have proven to be the best teams. over 30+ games already. Or the NFL only just having the 1 seeds play for the Super Bowl, just skip the playoffs. After all, they proved it by having the best record.

I do think a 16 or 24-team playoff has to come. It actually opens up the talent pool for the best players to more teams, not fewer. It means the winner is determined by results on the field, not by the "eye test" for a committee. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan look like they are the best teams.

I do wonder if we get to the place where after 4-5 games some year a player will just shut it down. Even if their team is undefeated and favorite for conference title or playoff berth. If they are a consensus Top 5 pick, what is the value of playing an entire season? I don't agree with that, but if everything is only about the individual and not the team, that is where we are headed.

Yeah the playoff is four teams and already usually at least two of the games are absolute garbage….more teams, so we can see more games like that sounds great…

I don’t blame the kids one bit, but logically they should just shut it down after a loss or two. Even two losses most likely wouldn’t make an expanded playoff. And I think you will start seeing more of that like Bosa did at OSU

If you're scared of injury, then why play at the in the first place at the start of the season? It's an unpopular opinion but I think players should stay and play. At the end of the day it's his decision and not much anyone else can do. Still wish him luck and hope the best for him.
In Goodson's case - it's a smart move the way defenses loaded up against him at times. That guy took a lot of punishment this year.

Reactions: tverwers13
If Goodson wants to bail on his team because he thinks it is in his best interest….then that is his prerogative.

Personally, I don’t think he will be drafted and probably won’t catch on as an UDFA (might make someone’s practice squad). But you never know.
Would one really awesome bowl game outing change that for him? No, probably not.

If Goodson wants to bail on his team because he thinks it is in his best interest….then that is his prerogative.

Personally, I don’t think he will be drafted and probably won’t catch on as an UDFA (might make someone’s practice squad). But you never know.
I hope the NFL scouts don't see the 80 yard run against PSU where Linderbaum ran him down from behind. Another 10 yards and he would of passed him. :p

Who gets to decide which games are important and which ones are "meaningless?" You?

If you think any game that isn't directly related to winning a conference or national championship is "meaningless" then you need to do everyone a favor and just stop following sports altogether.

Your idea is idiotic

I say this every year but:

The games DO count, they are not meaningless exhibitions. The stats count for players, the records count for teams, and end of season rankings are determined by bowl game wins and losses. Where did this dumb "It's just an exhibition game" idea come from? It's no more an exhibition game than us playing ISU or Kent State.

If a player quits on game 13, why not quit game on 10? Or on game 8? Or heck, if you're an elite 1st round QB and your team starts 0-3, so you're out of the playoff already, why not just quit and prepare for the draft? Where does this end?

I like bowl games, and I like them to a) be competitive, and b) represent the team I saw in the conference season. If you feel the same, then stop saying it's perfectly fine for players to skip the bowl game. Because it's only going to degrade the regular season, sooner or later as well

That is the conclusion you get to if you take all of this far enough. By the logic of the committee putting in the "best teams" in a 4-team playoff, the NCAA basketball tournament should be only the 1 and 2 seeds since they have proven to be the best teams. over 30+ games already. Or the NFL only just having the 1 seeds play for the Super Bowl, just skip the playoffs. After all, they proved it by having the best record.

I do think a 16 or 24-team playoff has to come. It actually opens up the talent pool for the best players to more teams, not fewer. It means the winner is determined by results on the field, not by the "eye test" for a committee. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan look like they are the best teams.

I do wonder if we get to the place where after 4-5 games some year a player will just shut it down. Even if their team is undefeated and favorite for conference title or playoff berth. If they are a consensus Top 5 pick, what is the value of playing an entire season? I don't agree with that, but if everything is only about the individual and not the team, that is where we are headed.
Its already happened at OSU. Wasn't it Bosa who didn't come back after an injury, and there were still several games to play I believe. Opted instead to keep training after his rehab and prepare for the draft.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

8 teams would be a huge step forward. Love to see a 16 though.

Since when did bowls become exhibitions? Haven't they all been that besides the BCS title game forever?
Where did this dumb "It's just an exhibition game" idea come from?
When I was growing up the bowl games were all that! It was freakin' awesome watching college bowl games, even though I wasn't a huge college football fan as a kid. Jan 1st was one of the best days of the year. The Rose Bowl was the ultimate game for me as a kid from the Midwest. From my point of view, one of the winners of one of the major bowl games would be declared national champ, and that was that. It didn't seem to matter all that much.

My best explanation is that two things happened in the early '90s:
1) Back-to-back National Co-Champions in '90 and '91, and
2) The internet

All of a sudden, practically overnight, having a clear, distinct national champion became extremely important, and everyone had an opinion about it. The Bowl Alliance/Coalition tried to ease this problem, then we had Michigan-Nebraska '97, so the all-important BCS was formed. Then we still had Co-champions/controversy in '03 and '04, and by this time everyone and their brother was on a football message board like this one complaining about it. So next we had the CFP. Now 4 teams isn't good enough and people will continue to complain about it until the FBS champ is determined by a 64-team field.

So, as crowning the national champion became more and more important, all the great stuff about college football bowl games became less and less important. We've gotten to the point that Iowa is playing in one of the most distinguished bowl games in their history (behind only the 8 Rose and Orange Bowls), but because it's not a conference championship season and we're not playing for a national championship, a good portion of our own fans are calling it "meaningless."

Sad.

So many of 50+ hold on to some of the asinine facets of CFB like polls and bowl games instead of playing your way into a meaningful number of playoff teams. They care more about a parade or a souvenir sweatshirt they bought at a bowl game instead of a real football ending. Hey, lets schedule a "post season EXHIBITION football game 4 weeks after the season has been played and expect a great game"!
I actually think at some point kids will opt out of the playoff.

When I was growing up the bowl games were all that! It was freakin' awesome watching college bowl games, even though I wasn't a huge college football fan as a kid. Jan 1st was one of the best days of the year. The Rose Bowl was the ultimate game for me as a kid from the Midwest. From my point of view, one of the winners of one of the major bowl games would be declared national champ, and that was that. It didn't seem to matter all that much.

2) The internet

All of a sudden, practically overnight, having a clear, distinct national champion became extremely important, and everyone had an opinion about it. The Bowl Alliance/Coalition tried to ease this problem, then we had Michigan-Nebraska '97, so the all-important BCS was formed. Then we still had Co-champions/controversy in '03 and '04, and by this time everyone and their brother was on a football message board like this one complaining about it. So next we had the CFP. Now 4 teams isn't good enough and people will continue to complain about it until the FBS champ is determined by a 64-team field.

So, as crowning the national champion became more and more important, all the great stuff about college football bowl games became less and less important. We've gotten to the point that Iowa is playing in one of the most distinguished bowl games in their history (behind only the 8 Rose and Orange Bowls), but because it's not a conference championship season and we're not playing for a national championship, a good portion of our own fans are calling it "meaningless."

Sad.
I don't know that I would blame the fans. Its simply the system. So many players skip bowls because they dont have alot of meaning. I think Goodson is a good example of that. If he was projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds I would totally understand it. But he will be 4th round at best and a good bowl outing could help his stock, just like a big regular season game would.

I think this scenario is only going to get worse. Just think about 10 years ago the bowls meant much more. Just think 10 years from now given the system stays the same. It used to be the first round guys would skip bowls. Now its guys that may not get drafted at all. I think that is telling.

I actually think at some point kids will opt out of the playoff.
Highly disagree. At that point your really dont care about the team and have no goals for the team. Guys sitting out against regular season non-P5 schools? I could totally see that.

Much more than an exhibition game. There are numerous advantages in participating in a bowl game other than the game itself.

There are 85 guys in scholarship for a reason. If a team doesn’t have two or three deep at each position, then that’s on the coaches for not preparing the next guy or two to step into a playing role on the team. Each position coach should have his guys ready to roll when their number is called and practice each day as if it’s going to happen. I don’t care about senior, freshman, etc, play the players that give you the best chance to win.

2) The internet

Sad.

It was Jon Miller who I first heard persistently call bowl games exhibitions.

The Bowl games are fun, they are no more meaningless than other games. As long as Iowa keeps drubbing Minnesota and Nebraska I am satisfied. The good thing about college football is every game has meaning to the players. Minnesota was not in the playoffs, yet nobody celebrated a win more this year than the Gopher players and fans when they beat Wisconsin. Playoffs are overrated

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
So if Bowl games are worthless and risk injury then a 8 team playoff is risk of injury also.
Maybe there should not be a playoff either.

Last edited:

You must be quite a competitor. Bowl games are very entertaining. Being only satisfied with a championship only, will l leave you empty. Better for you to join the Bama and osu bandwagon.

I’m fine with whatever system they choose so long as “meaningless” bowl games continue, I’ve never understood football fans wanting less football. I didn’t realize ESPN forced people to watch games they are disinterested in. I love watching as many bowl games as possible, because it’s holiday tradition and great way to end the year. I guess I don’t understand why it’s so important to have one national champion either. It never ruined my life when there were co-champs named a couple of years.

I’m fine with whatever system they choose so long as “meaningless” bowl games continue, I’ve never understood football fans wanting less football. I didn’t realize ESPN forced people to watch games they are disinterested in. I love watching as many bowl games as possible, because it’s holiday tradition and great way to end the year. I guess I don’t understand why it’s so important to have one national champion either. It never ruined my life when there were co-champs named a couple of years.
Amen.

The Bowl games are fun, they are no more meaningless than other games. As long as Iowa keeps drubbing Minnesota and Nebraska I am satisfied. The good thing about college football is every game has meaning to the players. Minnesota was not in the playoffs, yet nobody celebrated a win more this year than the Gopher players and fans when they beat Wisconsin. Playoffs are overrated
You do realize the last 4 vs nebber were one score games....???

Playing for a national championship is not overrated

• Wow
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
With your logic as soon at the team is out of the running for play off just quit the team and wait for draft.
I'm also one that thinks the playoffs will ruin college football. Schools like Iowa which takes in about 95% of NCAA schools have no chance in the playoffs. It will boil down to about a dozen or less schools that can recruit at the level to win. An example is what happened to us in the BIG Championship Game. In the NCAA basketball tournament it's won by most of the same teams. Basketball is much easier to compete because one or two super recruits can put a team in contention. Football takes 4 or 5 years of super recruiting to have a chance. I think we'll all look back and wish we still had the years where we could have a good year go to a good bowl where everyone could go and have a good time. That is what college football always meant to me.

Meaningful or meaningless is subjective.

Whether or not an individual player opts out of a game doesn't give that game more or less value.

I have no issue with any player who chooses not to play. They can make the decision they think is best for their future and certainly don't need my permission for that.

As for the citrus bowl, I wouldn't say it is worthless. If I'm going to rank it relative to this year's schedule I'd put it above all the non con games and below the B1G contests. But that's just me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT