ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully there is a ton of players sitting out bowl games

Because it trivializes the games. Plus if they count as a W, they aren't really an exhibition.
We never called them exhibitions before the BCS, why start now?
I agree with you.

Whatever you want to call the bowl games, I like them. They are important to the players, coaches, fans of the participants, the local economies and charities. There are a good thing!

Reactions: hawkjt
Bowl games were fewer in number back a few decades but they weren’t really any more meaningful. The playoff determines a “true” champion, but bowl games have always been exhibitions of sorts.

They still affect teams’ records, determine final national rankings, allow for added (and very valuable) practice time, and can help with momentum for the winners heading into the offseason. They’re no more exhibitions now than they ever were in the past.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Often the teams get to participate in off the field activities that I’m sure are perceived as bonus entertainment and a chance to explore a nice destination. Extra practices, another game, and a chance to shine on national TV aren’t all bad.Those who don’t value a bowl game probably are Nebraska fans or should be.

I can't blame Goodson or any other kids sitting out college bowl games. These games are nothing but a post-season exhibition game designed for some fans to take a vacation somewhere that involves attending a game. Why should kids risk their future financial security for a meaningless game. Not to mention how fans are robbed of a real ending to CFB.

Hopefully, the CFP gets expanded to 24 or let each league have a 4-6 team conference playoff(depending on the size of the league, if leagues are 16 or over 6 teams are fine), just take the top 6 league champions and have a seeded 6 team CFP. You purposefully, do a 6 team playoff, NO AT LARGE BIRTHS. That way EVERY team plays their way in, no committees, polls or other b.s. its a real playoff. If you leave the last week of the season as a floating game and start the playoffs that week and assign every team in the league that isn't involved that round a game it won't add any additional games. You can do some form of ticket revenue sharing for the last game either between the two teams or across the league. Every single one of those conference playoff games would be must see because they mean something as opposed to post season exhibition bowl games.

So many of 50+ hold on to some of the asinine facets of CFB like polls and bowl games instead of playing your way into a meaningful number of playoff teams. They care more about a parade or a souvenir sweatshirt they bought at a bowl game instead of a real football ending. Hey, lets schedule a "post season EXHIBITION football game 4 weeks after the season has been played and expect a great game"!
For 99% of the guys playing, they’re all exhibition games.

Imagine...
The historic bowl games played on January 1st,
for decades were literally the very goal of a team...
were always just exhibitions.
No different than those preseason basketball games that don't count.

Amazing how not one person ever referred to mighty Rose Bowl for decades as an exhibition.

I can't blame Goodson or any other kids sitting out college bowl games. These games are nothing but a post-season exhibition game designed for some fans to take a vacation somewhere that involves attending a game. Why should kids risk their future financial security for a meaningless game. Not to mention how fans are robbed of a real ending to CFB.

Hopefully, the CFP gets expanded to 24 or let each league have a 4-6 team conference playoff(depending on the size of the league, if leagues are 16 or over 6 teams are fine), just take the top 6 league champions and have a seeded 6 team CFP. You purposefully, do a 6 team playoff, NO AT LARGE BIRTHS. That way EVERY team plays their way in, no committees, polls or other b.s. its a real playoff. If you leave the last week of the season as a floating game and start the playoffs that week and assign every team in the league that isn't involved that round a game it won't add any additional games. You can do some form of ticket revenue sharing for the last game either between the two teams or across the league. Every single one of those conference playoff games would be must see because they mean something as opposed to post season exhibition bowl games.

So many of 50+ hold on to some of the asinine facets of CFB like polls and bowl games instead of playing your way into a meaningful number of playoff teams. They care more about a parade or a souvenir sweatshirt they bought at a bowl game instead of a real football ending. Hey, lets schedule a "post season EXHIBITION football game 4 weeks after the season has been played and expect a great game"!
I can assure you, these young men do not look at a bowl game as an exhibition. Most of them look at a bowl game as a great reward for their hard work, especially to Florida for a January 1 bowl. If players want to opt out, it is their prerogative, but to me it is a great way to display ones skill in front of a national audience.

You amuse me Win5002, not sure why the younger generation feels they need to change many traditions that have been developed over the years and seem to stand the test of time. The over 50 crowd have donated and supported our college of choice for many years. I for one have many fond bowl memories, shared with tens of thousand loyal Hawk fans.

If you don't like bowl games, don't watch. I'll be sitting with friends and family enjoying this year's January 1 bowl games. Would be traveling but another granddaughter is due any time now. Go Hawks!

A 24 team playoff is an absurdity. Even more players would opt out when faced with the prospect of playing 4 or 5 more games to win a title as a low seed. The playoff format should be the top 6 teams, with the top 2 teams getting byes. How you deal with all the best players stacking to the same teams every year is another problem entirely.

I can assure you, these young men do not look at a bowl game as an exhibition. Most of them look at a bowl game as a great reward for their hard work, especially to Florida for a January 1 bowl. If players want to opt out, it is their prerogative, but to me it is a great way to display ones skill in front of a national audience.

You amuse me Win5002, not sure why the younger generation feels they need to change many traditions that have been developed over the years and seem to stand the test of time. The over 50 crowd have donated and supported our college of choice for many years. I for one have many fond bowl memories, shared with tens of thousand loyal Hawk fans.

If you don't like bowl games, don't watch. I'll be sitting with friends and family enjoying this year's January 1 bowl games. Would be traveling but another granddaughter is due any time now. Go Hawks!
I'm over 50 and I won't watch any bowl games that don't involve the two trams in Iowa but I will watch every NFL playoff game.

Thanks...that’s what I thought, but someone mentioned to me that he had heard that Linderbaum opted out. Good news that’s he’s playing.
Thought I read on a post from Blare that a writer asked him if he was opting out of the bowl game to prepare for the draft and the answer was "stupid question". Meaning he was playing in the bowl game.

Don't forget the swag that the players get for the bowl games. Those articles should start popping up soon.

I wouldnt bet against Goodson and hope for the best for him, but I also think he chose this because he is hurt and it gives him time to get fully healthy for the pro workouts. It seemed all year he never took a tackler straight on, always turning to the side, i think he had some type of shoulder injury.

It's not an exhibition game. That's a lie.

Tate to Holloway was a great moment in Hawkeye history and a wonderful memory for many, myself included.

Anyone who things beating Louisiana-Monroe on 2011 meant more than beating LSU with the Tate to Holloway touchdown pass is crazy in their head.

Crowds continue to drop at these games. I think all of us in the over 50 crowd have great memories of some of these games. Watching Chuck Long torch Texas with 6 or 7 td's in the old Freedom Bowl, even going to my first Rose Bowl and being in awe and seeing us get torched by UCLA. I have to admit I have zero interest in watching us play Kentucky this year. I know they're a solid team but it's just kind of a meh matchup. I'm guessing for Kentucky since they are pretty new to these kind of bowls they will have a bigger fan turnout than us. Even though we got to 10 wins just watching our offense out there week after week I have to admit has really bummed me out. I love watching our defense play but also wonder what team we will see in a few weeks. I'm actually kind of excited to watch Williams play a full game as the starter.

Crowds continue to drop at these games. I think all of us in the over 50 crowd have great memories of some of these games. Watching Chuck Long torch Texas with 6 or 7 td's in the old Freedom Bowl, even going to my first Rose Bowl and being in awe and seeing us get torched by UCLA. I have to admit I have zero interest in watching us play Kentucky this year. I know they're a solid team but it's just kind of a meh matchup. I'm guessing for Kentucky since they are pretty new to these kind of bowls they will have a bigger fan turnout than us. Even though we got to 10 wins just watching our offense out there week after week I have to admit has really bummed me out. I love watching our defense play but also wonder what team we will see in a few weeks. I'm actually kind of excited to watch Williams play a full game as the starter.
"zero interest in watching Iowa play Kentucky"
Clearly you will not watch that game on New Year's Day.

I will relish taking advantage of the last of 14 opportunities to watch Hawkeye football this year.
Enjoy your alternative options that day.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentz

I get the reasoning. I just don't agree. That saying, I'd love to see the numbers on how many players have had their draft stock effected, in a negative way, due to bowl game injuries in the last 20 years. My guess is that it wouldn't be many, but that's just my guess.

If you're a highly likely 2nd-3rd rounder or better and not in a playoff game, I absolutely understand sitting out. For an absolute sure fire first rounder there would have to be very compelling reasons not to sit out. I have yet to see an NFL player personnel manager comment on the record that a guy was drafted lower because he sat out a non-playoff bowl game.

Never know what you’re going to get in these games. How excited are GA and Fl St to play each other? Last year Kentucky brought no heart and no pro QB and we had guys excited to play and trounced them. For some reason the SEC seems to have a lot of opt outs, I’m guessing Tennessee will have a lot. Guessing we will not. Now I wouldn’t mind 1 guy opting out along with a particular coach. 😏

Never know what you’re going to get in these games. How excited are GA and Fl St to play each other? Last year Kentucky brought no heart and no pro QB and we had guys excited to play and trounced them. For some reason the SEC seems to have a lot of opt outs, I’m guessing Tennessee will have a lot. Guessing we will not. Now I wouldn’t mind 1 guy opting out along with a particular coach. 😏
Look at TN's schedule and results. Doesn't scream great team to me to start with.

Just remember any games outside the CFP nowadays is exhibition ball. Practice and working on stuff and having fun.

Reactions: littlez
Look at TN's schedule and results. Doesn't scream great team to me to start with.
Totally agree. If we could get a Joey Labas performance at QB like last year I think we’d win But with this train wreck of an offense I’m not sure you can win a game against a solid Power 5 school with Deacon at QB and scoring 7-10 points, no matter how good you’re defense is.

Reactions: hawkosx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT