ADVERTISEMENT

How Come Nobody is Thanking the Union Army on Juneteenth?

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
How come Juneteenth celebrations are not celebrating Lincoln, playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Battle Cry of Freedom?

The Emancipation Proclamation does not occur without a Union Victory.

The Civil War was the deadliest war in US history. 620,000 Americans died.

I think it is great to celebrate Juneteenth but lets not forget those who sacrificed for the Union.

How come Juneteenth celebrations are not celebrating Lincoln, playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Battle Cry of Freedom?

I think it is great to celebrate Juneteenth but lets not forget those who sacrificed for the Union.
iu

Reactions: The Tradition
I have felt very uneducated about Juneteenth, but it seems weird to view it as a “celebration”. I mean… we captured, transported, and sold them as slaves… just because 1/2 the country changed their minds doesn’t deserve a thank you.

Not to mention - the union army didn’t believe slavery was right, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t view black people as “equals”

I have felt very uneducated about Juneteenth, but it seems weird to view it as a “celebration”. I mean… we captured, transported, and sold them as slaves… just because 1/2 the country changed their minds doesn’t deserve a thank you.

Not to mention - the union army didn’t believe slavery was right, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t view black people as “equals”
That's because CRT is band. Know anything about the Black Wallstreet massacres?

Lincoln was able to rally the North and the Union Army to victory when many did not seek emancipation.

Lincoln's views on slavery changed during the war. His goal was to preserve the Union and as the war went on, to end slavery. Just finished a good book on this, "The Broken Constitution, Lincoln, Slavery and the Refounding of America" by Noah Feldman.

I think Lincoln was not only a great President, but the best we have ever had. I am not alone in this thinking. The tools Lincoln used were not only his words like the Emancipation Proclamation, the Gettysburg Address and the 2nd Inaugural Address in 1864 but the Union Army.

I am very thankful that the Union Army won, the Union was preserved and the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments were passed. If you are not thankful then that is your opinion.

Lincoln was able to rally the North and the Union Army to victory when many did not seek emancipation.

Lincoln's views on slavery changed during the war. His goal was to preserve the Union and as the war went on, to end slavery. Just finished a good book on this, "The Broken Constitution, Lincoln, Slavery and the Refounding of America" by Noah Feldman.

I think Lincoln was not only a great President, but the best we have ever had. I am not alone in this thinking. The tools Lincoln used were not only his words like the Emancipation Proclamation, the Gettysburg Address and the 2nd Inaugural Address in 1864 but the Union Army.

I am very thankful that the Union Army won, the Union was preserved and the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments were passed. If you are not thankful then that is your opinion.
#14thAmendmentSection3NOW for nearly the entire GOP joke currently in Congress

Reactions: West Dundee Hawkeye

Cuz if they tried to do it on January 1st, you'd get all pissypants about Black People Taking Over New Years Day.

Eh, wouldn't the celebration end of it be because a group of people became free?

To me it just depends on how the community views it. If the black community at large responding to the event along the lines of "thanks, but we'd rather not be reminded of that period of time" then you don't exactly want to set the day aside as a holiday for celebration. But if the opposite, then fine. So it just depends on where they're at with it.

Reactions: globalhawk

Not thankful? I’m telling you if I were a black person - I would not be using this day as a time to thank any white person.

I think putting Abe’s face on money and mountains is plenty of thanks

Reactions: 3boysmom
Eh, wouldn't the celebration end of it be because a group of people became free?

To me it just depends on how the community views it. If the black community at large responding to the event along the lines of "thanks, but we'd rather not be reminded of that period of time" then you don't exactly want to set the day aside as a holiday for celebration. But if the opposite, then fine. So it just depends on where they're at with it.

Maybe? I have no idea. Uneducated.

I just know If I were taken hostage and after many years one of my captors set me free I would not be having a party in their honor

360,000 Americans died in the Civil War. The other quarter of a million weren’t Americans. They didn’t want to be Americans, so don’t dishonor those that were by referring to the rest as Americans.

Reactions: blhawk
I don't think it should be about thanking the Union Army or abolitionists. Part of our founding myth is the lofty ideal that all men are created equal. Juneteenth is an important milestone if the creation of the USA is truly a long term revolution and not just an old mostly inconsequential battle for the independence of American aristocrats from the rule of Britain.

Reactions: sober_teacher
360,000 Americans died in the Civil War. The other quarter of a million weren’t Americans. They didn’t want to be Americans, so don’t dishonor those that were by referring to the rest as Americans.
Amen. One civil war was enough. These new confederate traitors who want another go at it because they want minority rule at any cost and have been brainwashed to think democrats are their biggest enemy aren't really Americans either

Between Memorial Day and Veterans Day I think we already have holidays to celebrate and honor those who fought and died for our country.
The problem is there was no VE Day or VJ Day for the Civil War that we celebrate each year. The Revolutionary War has July 4th. Veterans Day originally marked the end of WW1. Memorial Day was set up to honor the dead from the Civil War but now honors the dead from all wars, as it should.

The Emancipation Proclamation occurred during the middle of the Civil War on January 1, 1863 - more than two years prior to Lee's surrender to Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1965.
It did not apply to the border states. Lincoln did not want to have them secede.

I really like this holiday for 2 reasons.
1. "Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States."
2. It really triggers and exposes the racists. A few of whom have posted in this thread. Even the sarcastic posts like those from the usual host of posters exposes them.

Personally, I think a component of recognizing the suffering of the union soldiers would be a good thing. Perhaps you should suggest that to the Juneteenth website.

1. "Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States."
2. It really triggers and exposes the racists. A few of whom have posted in this thread. Even the sarcastic posts like those from the usual host of posters exposes them.

Personally, I think a component of recognizing the suffering of the union soldiers would be a good thing. Perhaps you should suggest that to the Juneteenth website.
It'd be a good day to recognize the black units in the Union army at the very least...

I wonder if this exposes anyone who just thinks an employer that is $30 Trillion in debt has better stop giving employees days off.

You're a racist

I've often thought that the "Juneteenth" label given to this one day holiday was an insult to the black Americans it was supposed to be celebrating,... Comes across as a made up nonsensical name created by uneducated people who couldn't speak the language...

Something called "Juneteenth" should be week long celebration spanning from 6/13 - 6/19,.. Taking advantage of all the available "teenth's in June...

The Emancipation Proclamation occurred, without any military assistance.

White people telling black people how they should "celebrate" their own holiday they created as a way to mourn slavery, white supremacy that kept them enslaved even in violation of the law, and in finally being free is a unique way to say "I'm still a white supremacist".

I don't celebrate this holiday. I use it as a way of mourning what white supremacy has done and to remind myself of that. I'll leave celebrations and the manner in which they choose to do them to people of color.

The Emancipation Proclamation occurred during the middle of the Civil War on January 1, 1863 - more than two years prior to Lee's surrender to Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1965.

If we're splitting hairs........

Lee’s formal surrender to Grant at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865, brought the war in Virginia to an end. While this event is considered the most significant surrender of the Civil War, several other Confederate commanders had to capitulate and negotiate paroles and amnesty for Southern combatants before President Andrew Johnson could officially proclaim an end to the Civil War. That formal declaration occurred sixteen months after Appomattox, on August 20, 1866.

Then why do I hear so much about Juneteenth Celebrations?

I don’t know if this is true and doesn’t feel like it fits perfectly… but I keep thinking of it like a “celebration of life” concept when somebody dies. It’s a day of mourning and remembrance…

Never understood why people have parties and BBQ’s for Memorial Day…. But I assume it’s the same idea?

The Emancipation Proclamation occurred, without any military assistance.
Debatable...

On July 22, Lincoln met with the members of his Cabinet and shared his idea with them. He presented a preliminary draft of the Emancipation Proclamation on two pages of lined paper. It would free the slaves in the Confederate states as a “military necessity” by weakening the enemy under his constitutional presidential war powers.

The cabinet agreed with his reasoning even if some members were lukewarm. Some feared the effects on the upcoming congressional elections and that it would cause European states to recognize the Confederacy to protect their sources of cotton. Secretary of State William H. Seward counseled the president to issue the proclamation from a position of strength after a military victory.

The early victories of the year in the West by Grant at the Battle of Shiloh and the capture of New Orleans were dimmed by a more recent defeat in the eastern theater. Union General George McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign driving toward Richmond was thwarted by his defeat in the Seven Days’ Battles. Nor did Lincoln get the victory he needed the following month when Union armies under General John Pope were routed at the Second Battle of Bull Run.

In September, General Robert E. Lee invaded the North to defeat the Union army on northern soil and win European diplomatic recognition. He swept up into Maryland. Even though two Union troops discovered Lee’s plan of attack wrapped around a couple of cigars on the ground, McClellan did not capitalize on his advantage. The two armies converged at Sharpsburg near Antietam Creek.

At dawn on September 17, Union forces under General Joseph Hooker on the Union right attacked Confederates on the left side of their lines under Stonewall Jackson. The opposing armies clashed at West Woods, Dunker Church, and a cornfield. The attack faltered, and thousands were left dead and wounded.

Even that fighting could not compare to the carnage in the middle of the lines that occurred later in the morning. Union forces attacked several times and were repulsed. The battle shifted to a sunken road with horrific close-in fighting. Thousands more men became casualties at this “Bloody Lane.”

The final major stage of the day’s battle occurred further down the line when Union General Ambrose Burnside finally attacked. The Confederate forces here held a stone bridge across Antietam Creek that Burnside decided to cross rather than have his men ford the creek. The Confederates held a strong defensible position that pushed back several Union assaults. After the bridge was finally taken at great cost, the advancing tide of Union soldiers was definitively stopped by recently-arrived Confederate General A.P. Hill.

The battle resulted in the grim casualty figures of 12,400 for the Union armies and 10,300 for the Confederate armies. The losses were much heavier proportionately for the much smaller Confederate army. General McClellan failed to pursue the bloodied Lee the following day and thereby allowed him to escape and slip back down into the South. While Lincoln was furious with his general, he had the victory he needed to release the Emancipation Proclamation.

On September 22, Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. It read that as of January 1, 1863, “All persons held as slaves within any state, or designated part of a state, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free.” If the states ended their rebellion, then the proclamation would have no force there.

Side note: Army of Virginia could have been destroyed after Antietam....but McClellan was overly cautious as per usual...might have ended he war in 1863.

So you want to use Juneteenth as an opportunity to celebrate what a great job the (mostly) white soldiers did?

bold-strategy-dodgeball.gif

I don’t know if this is true and doesn’t feel like it fits perfectly… but I keep thinking of it like a “celebration of life” concept when somebody dies. It’s a day of mourning and remembrance…

Never understood why people have parties and BBQ’s for Memorial Day…. But I assume it’s the same idea?
Excellent point. For some reason, the holiday is coming off as a celebration. Your comments are going to help me pay more attention to it. Thank for sharing your thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT