ADVERTISEMENT

How do you ‘sign off’ work emails?

TennNole17

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2003
Other thread got me thinking about how people use alphabet soup in their signatures- but how do you sign off your emails?

I’ve got some younger (20-30ish) people who say (imo) weird shit.

“Warm regards,” or just “regards,”
“Sincerely,”
“Until next time,”

If I include anything at all it’s “thanks,” but I usually just end my email and then hit send. Am I out of touch or ?

Regards, Name is the standard saved signature for my emails. I will drop a thanks in if someone did something for me.
I noticed that most foreigners typically use best regards or kind regards as their signature.

If it is a person inside the company then "Thanks fo shizzle my cowizzle!" If not usually just Ciao or sometimes Au revoire mon ami.

Reactions: TennNole17
I tend to probably over-use exclamation points. I don't care though - I'm a pretty positive person in work emails. It varies for me based on who it is, time of day, what number it is in the email back and forth, etc.

Thanks!
Thank you!
Thank you very much!
Have a good evening!

I tend to probably over-use exclamation points. I don't care though - I'm a pretty positive person in work emails. It varies for me based on who it is, time of day, what number it is in the email back and forth, etc.

Thanks!
Thank you!
Thank you very much!
Have a good evening!
I overuse exclamation points too, and I don’t apologize for it

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Since I have a securities license, the signature has all of the verbiage that the compliance office requires. The next time someone reads it will likely be the first time someone reads it.

Other thread got me thinking about how people use alphabet soup in their signatures- but how do you sign off your emails?

I’ve got some younger (20-30ish) people who say (imo) weird shit.

“Warm regards,” or just “regards,”
“Sincerely,”
“Until next time,”

If I include anything at all it’s “thanks,” but I usually just end my email and then hit send. Am I out of touch or ?
My footer is random. Either it has “best regards,” followed by my name and info, or “hasta la bye bye”.

Brother used to sign V/R in emails to us. Military thing I had to google.
Other military ones I've used/been sent to me as signoffs:
r/ -respectfully
v/r -very respectfully
ATW! -All the Way! (82d ABN Motto)
RLTW -Rangers Lead the Way (75th RGR Regt Motto)
NSDQ -Night Stalkers Don't Quit (160th Special Ops Aviation Regt Motto)
Win the Hearts, Win the Minds -(9th PSYOP Bn Motto)
sf/ - semper fidelis (USMC Motto)
DOL - de oppresso liber (SF Motto)

and a lot of people sign-off with their Callsign or radio brevity code identifier to add to the letter soup.

I overuse exclamation points too, and I don’t apologize for it
There's always a greater-than-zero chance that I'm about to give someone an answer they're not going to like, so I figure if they can at least get the impression that I'm a friendly, personable guy, then maybe they won't be quite so frustrated about what I'm telling them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT