ADVERTISEMENT

How do you grade the newer hawk defensive team starters/players?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Over the first 3 games:

1. I have noticed Nick Jackson a few times in the UtahST game seeming a bit lost/out of position on some pass plays. Against WMich he might have missed some contain assignments. But overall he is quick, a very good tackler, and is doing well for still probably learning his assignments.

2. I have read comments that X is low on stats and may have busted the assignment on the long WMIch TD. I do not know what coverage was on during that WMich play and if it was his bust I hope he learns from it. I thought his INT against Utah St was a very heady and athletic play. And if the front 7 is making most of the run tackles then X isn't getting stats in that part of the game. As they say, it is not good for both your safeties to be your tackle leaders.

3. I am listing Jermari Harris here even though he started games last year but his first start this year was the last game. Again he may have had a shorter zone assignment on that long TD last game and was supposed to pass off that receiver, I dont know. He really bit and got stung on double move on another play. I hope he is tighter going forward. He looked fine tackling in run support and he played very well last year.

4. I am making Noah Shannon's absence equivalent to another new player since backups will be playing more. I think this is a slight negative as Shannon was very good and solid.

5. HIggins is a new starter and is playing very well. A leader and knows the defense. Solid.

If you have more insight on these positions and players please share. Overall, I dont think the hawks are stuffing the run quite as well and teams are picking on some players in the pass game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT