ADVERTISEMENT

How long does Joe Weiskamp stay?

Joe’s gonna need to become the undisputed go-to guy on this team before he goes pro, and I think it’ll take a year for Bohannon to graduate and Joe to pass Garza offensively before that happens. Three years minimum imo, but a fourth wouldn’t surprise me at all... seems like a Hawkeye through and through

Look at these Fr./So. year stats of let's say Player X.

Freshman: 9.3 ppg 4.9 rpg 2.7 apg 1.0 spg 0.7 bpg 42.0% FG 37.1% 3ptr 71.4% FT
Sophomore: 14.8 ppg 5.0 rpg 3.4 apg 0.6 spg 0.7 bpg 50.3% FG 41.7% 3pt 75.8% FT

And Joe Wieskamp

Freshman: 11.1 ppg 4.9 rpg 1.1 apg 0.9 spg 0.5 bpg 48.8% FG 42.4% 3pt 76.7% FT

Player X is a 6'7" 190lbs. G/F and caucasian. Was not leading scorer (goto guy) on his college team. Yet was drafted in the 1st round 19th pick.

I don't expect Joe Wieskamp to play but one more season at Iowa (and I hope we get the one more season). His area to improve on is facilitating and defense. Create for himself and others with the ball.

Player X was also recruited to Iowa by Fran.... Maryland's Kevin Huerter

And Joe Wieskamp

Player X is a 6'7" 190lbs. G/F and caucasian. Was not leading scorer (goto guy) on his college team. Yet was drafted in the 1st round 19th pick.

I don't expect Joe Wieskamp to play but one more season at Iowa (and I hope we get the one more season). His area to improve on is facilitating and defense. Create for himself and others with the ball.

You make a solid point. If you are right and Joe has a good opportunity to go pro earlier, I’d still guess he sticks around for a 3-4 year career (would be happy for him if he left earlier).

The idea of Moss transferring seemed ridiculous to me, so not a great track record though

I like Joe but Huerter is a better athlete,better shooter bigger,and quicker.
Fans are getting carried away accessing Joe's talent. He could not play the small forward position in the NBA and guard Kwai Leonard or LeBron and he is too slow to play guard.

To me I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't stay four years. He could be an all-timer in college but I don't see him as anything other than a bench/role player in the NBA at best, unless he takes a major step forward this year. That being said, if he was told he'd be a first rounder in the draft, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he left.

And Joe Wieskamp

It appears that 2 years is the maximum we can expect to get from him.

Joe loves Iowa so much I hear he's going to try and break Jess Settles longevity record.....

If he stays all 4 years, Joe will break a lot of Hawkeye Basketball records. It's not inconceivable that he will stay for 4 years but by going through the pro process after 1 year, it says to me that Joe will go to the NBA sooner rather than later.
but will he wait until he gets a 1st round grade?

will be interesting to watch.

I like Joe but Huerter is a better athlete,better shooter bigger,and quicker.
Fans are getting carried away accessing Joe's talent. He could not play the small forward position in the NBA and guard Kwai Leonard or LeBron and he is too slow to play guard.

Huerter is not a better shooter.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Joe has long slow release on his jumper. It will get blocked in the NBA. Huerter has a very quick release which is very accurate.

giphy.gif

The proof of this is this last years team. I am thinking they may not have won a game.
It didn't help that the new coach in Muscatine decided to tell potential starters before the season that he didn't want them on the team because they weren't 100% committed to basketball. Only kids that made the team were the ones who went to summer camps and didn't play any other sports.

As for Joe, he will graduate after his junior year of eligibility. He could stay as a grad student, transfer to another school or turn pro. 3 years max, I bet.

Totally agree. I see that a lot and Doesn’t make sense. The NBA drafts on potential. They don’t care if players win conference awards.

The NBA drafts on potential and/or performance. Obviously.

Now forget the not making honorable mention part, name ONE college player drafted, that was not at least 3rd team all-conference in their conference. Just one...?

Now forget the not making honorable mention part, name ONE college player drafted, that was not at least 3rd team all-conference in their conference. Just one...?

I don’t know and I’m not going to take the time to research it. You might be completely right. My point was more that I don’t think NBA teams care or look at that in their evaluation of the players they draft. They rely on their scouting and combines and what they see from them in workouts.

Off the top of my head, TWolves drafted Zach Lavine, who didn’t even start on UCLA, based off of athleticism in 2014(?). Best player on the Bulls now. He was all PAC 12 freshman team like Joe was. So it happens, but rarely.

Off the top of my head, TWolves drafted Zach Lavine, who didn’t even start on UCLA, based off of athleticism in 2014(?). Best player on the Bulls now. He was all PAC 12 freshman team like Joe was. So it happens, but rarely.

Dare I say...Joe is no Zach Lavine

Horton-Tucker will get drafted and he wasn't 3rd Team All B12. I will guarantee that he's not the first to ever do this and I'm not going to look it up.

Horton-Tucker will get drafted and he wasn't 3rd Team All B12. I will guarantee that he's not the first to ever do this and I'm not going to look it up.
I fully expect to never hear of Tucker ever again after this draft.

Unless if I play against him in my rec b-ball league.

My brother and I were debating how long Joe W will stay in college. He thinks there is a chance that it’s only 2 years, I say no matter what 4 years

My argument is;

Joe will be touted as Iowa’s best player next year and will likely be our featured player. Not only that, he’s probably our best perimeter defender. He reminds of Sam Dekker but with a little more ommf. The problem is, even Sam Dekker is barely hanging in the league. A guy who played all 4 years at college and was on a Wisconsin squad that went to 2 final fours.

I don’t doubt Joe as a player. He plays perfect basketball and kept us in a lot of games last year with his hustle. However, he is a bit of tweener . He is a pretty short 3 and the 2 guards in the NBA are quick.

Because of this, I think he stays all 4 years.
I think he has a great Hawkeye career and will have an opportunity to break a lot of Hawkeye records. I’m also selfishly glad he’s not a perfect NBA fit.

What do you think?
Agree, Joe is a great player, but certainly not a lock for the NBA. At his size , he would have a be a lights out shooter to stick in the NBA. He is a good shooter, but not there yet.

Agree, Joe is a great player, but certainly not a lock for the NBA. At his size , he would have a be a lights out shooter to stick in the NBA. He is a good shooter, but not there yet.

It's easy to visualize him sticking though if he continues to improve. He's a pretty savvy player for a true Frosh. Think Kyle Korver,

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT