ADVERTISEMENT

How long does Joe Weiskamp stay?

Hawk94Mn

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2017
My brother and I were debating how long Joe W will stay in college. He thinks there is a chance that it’s only 2 years, I say no matter what 4 years

My argument is;

Joe will be touted as Iowa’s best player next year and will likely be our featured player. Not only that, he’s probably our best perimeter defender. He reminds of Sam Dekker but with a little more ommf. The problem is, even Sam Dekker is barely hanging in the league. A guy who played all 4 years at college and was on a Wisconsin squad that went to 2 final fours.

I don’t doubt Joe as a player. He plays perfect basketball and kept us in a lot of games last year with his hustle. However, he is a bit of tweener . He is a pretty short 3 and the 2 guards in the NBA are quick.

Because of this, I think he stays all 4 years.
I think he has a great Hawkeye career and will have an opportunity to break a lot of Hawkeye records. I’m also selfishly glad he’s not a perfect NBA fit.

What do you think?

If he stays all 4 years, Joe will break a lot of Hawkeye Basketball records. It's not inconceivable that he will stay for 4 years but by going through the pro process after 1 year, it says to me that Joe will go to the NBA sooner rather than later.

Dekker was at Wisconsin for 3 years. Dekker is more explosive, but Wieskamp is a better shooter. By the time Dekker left Wisconsin he had grown to 6'9"

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Seems like that will depend on his upcoming evaluation. If he can improve in the areas that they recommend after one more season then he will make the jump. I do not see him forgoing his eligibility to make the jump to the G-League.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
How many white guys leave early and stick with NBA team ?

4 is the correct answer.

May sound racist but math is on my side.

Joe stay's until he graduates,... It's all about the team for him. Look at what he put up with in High School....

This is a crazy thought at this point. Joe W will have to have one heck of a season next year, to even sniff the NBA. He did NOT even make 3rd team All-B1G. Let alone honorable mention...

Now I hope that Joe W becomes good enough to make the jump to the NBA. However there is a looooong way to go.

Next year will be telling, if Joe can even become NBA talent. We will see. And I hope he is darn close!

I'll go with 4 years unless he is projected to be a lottery pick his last year, which I very much doubt.

This is a crazy thought at this point. Joe W will have to have one heck of a season next year, to even sniff the NBA. He did NOT even make 3rd team All-B1G. Let alone honorable mention...

Now I hope that Joe W becomes good enough to make the jump to the NBA. However there is a looooong way to go.

Next year will be telling, if Joe can even become NBA talent. We will see. And I hope he is darn close!

I would not underestimate Joe. Nobody on the team is going to work harder this offseason. You think he was good this year? Just wait.

Reactions: owenhawk
So what are the NBA scouts going to tell Joe? I’m guessing they’re saying that he needs really open up his budding dribble-drive game and finish at the hoop more. He has the athletic ability. I’m guessing it takes a couple years to get there and he has a chance to go after his junior year. It would sure help the profile of the program if he could. Don’t think he’ll consider going though if not a projected 1st rounder.

4 is the correct answer.

Whether he sticks in the NBA isn’t the question here. Plenty of white guys in the B1G have left early in recent memory. In fact, most years a white “underclassman” declares:

Leonard
Zeller
McGary
Stauskas
Decker
Wagner
Huerter
Brazdeikis (likely)

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
3 years, just a hunch.

Would love if those Hauser kids end up at Iowa, and the ND kid. Their first year on the court would be Joe’s JR year...Garza’s SR year. Could be nice little season.

3 years, at least.

He's still under-the-radar outside of the midwest and unless he BLOWS UP next season, I don't see him leaving.

Strange comment

Those Muscatine teams were awful without Joe W. I saw quite a few games of theirs in the CR/IC area in Joe's junior and senior years, and man, they were absolutely brutal when Joe was out of the game.

3 years, at least.
Those Muscatine teams were awful without Joe W. I saw quite a few games of theirs in the CR/IC area in Joe's junior and senior years, and man, they were absolutely brutal when Joe was out of the game.
The proof of this is this last years team. I am thinking they may not have won a game.

He will be a good four year player at Iowa....similar to Gatens. Euro career looms.

Reactions: blhawk
I would not underestimate Joe. Nobody on the team is going to work harder this offseason. You think he was good this year? Just wait.

Totally agree with this. I think people are going to be shocked by the jump he makes. He’s going to get that NBA evaluation and use the feedback to take his game to the next level. Last year he deferred more I am sure out of respect and as he figured out the college game. Now with the changes the way has been paved for him to take on a go-to role. And the moment won’t be too big for him. He’s used to being the man and he has the requisite skills, athleticism, and mental fortitude to take that challenge and embrace it.

The NBA really values the all conference accolades

My brother and I were debating how long Joe W will stay in college. He thinks there is a chance that it’s only 2 years, I say no matter what 4 years

My argument is;

Joe will be touted as Iowa’s best player next year and will likely be our featured player. Not only that, he’s probably our best perimeter defender. He reminds of Sam Dekker but with a little more ommf. The problem is, even Sam Dekker is barely hanging in the league. A guy who played all 4 years at college and was on a Wisconsin squad that went to 2 final fours.

I don’t doubt Joe as a player. He plays perfect basketball and kept us in a lot of games last year with his hustle. However, he is a bit of tweener . He is a pretty short 3 and the 2 guards in the NBA are quick.

Because of this, I think he stays all 4 years.
I think he has a great Hawkeye career and will have an opportunity to break a lot of Hawkeye records. I’m also selfishly glad he’s not a perfect NBA fit.

What do you think?

He will be at Iowa at least 3 years. I think if he is on draftboards after his Junior year he is gone. Although, next year's draft is supposed to be pretty weak so you never know. He could have a huge year next yeah with all that Iowa is losing. He could end up averaging 17-18 ppg.

4 is the correct answer.

Whether he sticks in the NBA isn’t the question here. Plenty of white guys in the B1G have left early in recent memory. In fact, most years a white “underclassman” declares:

Leonard
Zeller
McGary
Stauskas
Decker
Wagner
Huerter
Brazdeikis (likely)

Not disagreeing with your argument. Just curious how many of those guys would average more then 10 minutes a game?
The only white guys to leave early in the recent nba and act ually be a starter that I can think of are Kevin love and Gordon Hayward and once kevin quit putting up big numbers on a crappy Minnesota team, he hasn’t been the same Kevin love.

Not disagreeing with your argument. Just curious how many of those guys would average more then 10 minutes a game?
The only white guys to leave early in the recent nba and act ually be a starter that I can think of are Kevin love and Gordon Hayward and once kevin quit putting up big numbers on a crappy Minnesota team, he hasn’t been the same Kevin love.

No clue, they’ve all made a crap ton of $ though!

Strange comment

Not strange at all if you know anything about Joe's high school basketball career at Muscatine,... A lot of kids with Joe's talent would have transferred to a better program,... Joe didn't do that.

I am hoping Joe is here for 3 years. 4 would be great but he's going to do nothing but get better and quickly.

Wieskamp needs to work on his shot creation this offseason- both for himself and for his teammates. If he is going to become the primary offensive threat, he is going to have to expand his game from catch and shoot threes and attacking close outs. If he could improve his quickness and explosiveness just a tiny bit, with his work ethic I think he will take a huge jump.

Sad that we are even having this discussion. Evidently this is today's world. We recruit you to our college based on the fact you will play one year, test the NBA waters, and then maybe play year 2 or 3 but maybe transfer but maybe quit, but maybe get a degree?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I seem to remember people having this same discussion about Cook after 1 year. Joe would have to have an almost all American type season to go next year. Then maybe the same to go the year after, he stays 4 years unless he makes a huge jump or can't stand college, see Cook again.

Joe’s gonna need to become the undisputed go-to guy on this team before he goes pro, and I think it’ll take a year for Bohannon to graduate and Joe to pass Garza offensively before that happens. Three years minimum imo, but a fourth wouldn’t surprise me at all... seems like a Hawkeye through and through

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT