ADVERTISEMENT

How many TE's are, or have been, in the NFL under Ferentz?

These guys were drafted. Had to be a few more that were undrafted.

Wheatley
Clark
Jensen
Chandler
Jackson
Myers
Moeaki
Fedorowicz
Kittle
Fant
Hockenson

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I know there's been a lot written about Iowa TE's, but that just seems unbelievable. And not all of them were highly recruited or had a stellar career at Iowa.
Any idea who's going to be the next one? Sam came on strong toward the end of the year. I can't wait to see him this year. With Iowa's reputation maybe he goes after his jr. year. If you're a talent scout, I would be watching him like a...well...a hawk.

Some undrafted guys that spent time with NFL teams...

Nate Wieting
Reisner
Krieger-Coble
Ray Hamilton
Zeron Flemister
Brad Herman
Andy Thorn - started out at Iowa

Last edited:
I guess I'm lazy, but it seems like Iowa has had 1,000,000 or more former TE's go to the NFL under Ferentz.
I believe the streak is still going. Basically every TE who started a game for Iowa under KF has either been drafted or signed a FA contact, including guys like Eric Jenson who was really a fullback at Iowa, and Parker Hesse who was a DL.

That’s nothing, Nebraska has had 2 drafted since Tom Osborne left (Tracy Wistrom in 2002 and Sheldon Jackson in 1999). Kittle had more yards last game than these two in their careers— probably why you have no idea who they are. Good choice Fidone. :rolleyes:

That’s nothing, Nebraska has had 2 drafted since Tom Osborne left (Tracy Wistrom in 2002 and Sheldon Jackson in 1999). Kittle had more yards last game than these two in their careers— probably why you have no idea who they are. Good choice Fidone. :rolleyes:
Yep but as I’ve said before and that list illustrates....I think the Hawks will be just fine at the position...

LaPorta just got better and better as the season went on. Just ask Nebraska if he's a good one (I'm thinking the catch that set up the field goal). Or ask USC how good he is. It's going to be fun watching him play.

I believe the streak is still going. Basically every TE who started a game for Iowa under KF has either been drafted or signed a FA contact, including guys like Eric Jenson who was really a fullback at Iowa, and Parker Hesse who was a DL.
Jensen in the ‘03 Michigan game: Michigan was in a groove. Jensen caught a ball down the middle and carried tacklers for a big first down while getting his helmet torn off. He got up and just smiled. I heard a bell like in a Rocky movie. And we went on to beat them. I think that was the game that Iowa was labeled The Bullies of the Big Ten by a Michigan player

No biggie but Niles Paul I think was a WR who had a decent career with Washington as a TE and Cethan Carter played for the Bengals but he may have been undrafted.

The better question for me is how many division and Big Ten titles has Iowa won under KF? And how many more should it have won given all that talent?

LaPorta just got better and better as the season went on. Just ask Nebraska if he's a good one (I'm thinking the catch that set up the field goal). Or ask USC how good he is. It's going to be fun watching him play.
Or the catch where he had four steps, elbow, and butt on the ground before ball moved and came out and was ruled an incomplete pass.

Aristotle, you do realize that the Hawks have to play teams like Ohio St., Wisconsin, Penn St., Michigan St. when they were good, do you not? They all have more recruit type talent than the Hawks. Toss Michigan in there too. I'm sure each of those teams fans wonder why they don't win more games and championships too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT