ADVERTISEMENT

How Much Do You Trust the Press?

Putting all of the "press" under one tent is unfair, as there are so many outlets from which people choose to get their news, and the accuracy of the information differs greatly.

Rankings
Talking heads ( Hannity, Maddow, Scarbrough types) -10000 on a scale of 10
Social Media Regurgitators -25000 on a scale to 10
Beat reporters 5 out of 10
Current Nightly 5 out of 10
Large Print ( NYT,WaPost etc) varies on who is the reporter 4 out of 10
Small Print ( local news, smaller publications) 6 out of 10

Putting all of the "press" under one tent is unfair, as there are so many outlets from which people choose to get their news, and the accuracy of the information differs greatly.

Rankings
Small print I agree is generally pretty good when they keep it local. The talking heads and social media “influencers” I don’t even consider news … its just opinion/entertainment. The Network anchors are just script readers these days in my opinion. Walter Cronkite and a few others back in the day have never been replaced. The White House reporters is where there seems to be the biggest drop in quality. They ask some really senseless questions on most days.

On a scale of 1 to 10 … 1 = no trust, 10 = they are always trustworthy.

I’m about a 2 right now.
The problem is the left wing media, which is the vast majority of all news organizations, regurgitate the same talking lines and stick to a script. There doesn’t seem to be any independent journalism as everything revolves around political motives.

Rankings
Why do gayee people act like this?

The problem is the left wing media, which is the vast majority of all news organizations, regurgitate the same talking lines and stick to a script. There doesn’t seem to be any independent journalism as everything revolves around political motives.
The MSM are given their talking points early in the morning. This has been going on since we have gone to 24/7 news coverage. Cronkite would be fired today, no Brinkley or Huntley around, as they would not gaslight the American people. Instead we get Norah O'Donnell as an example of the MSM.

I don’t watch local or national news anymore unless there’s severe weather. It’s been 4 years & I don’t miss it at all.

Haven’t watched ESPN talking heads in 5 years either. I do watch BTN from time to time.

You can’t look to the big three cable news networks for actual news, it’s commentary. MSNBC narrowly beats out Fox to secure their place at the bottom of the barrel as far as biased bullshit news with the overhauled CNN pretending to be balanced is losing money because the dipshit extremists on both sides need their fix of hate to get though the day.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
On a scale of 1 to 10 … 1 = no trust, 10 = they are always trustworthy.

I’m about a 2 right now.
Agreed. Once upon a time, 8, when grizzled wApo reporters swilled sources with cheap bourbon in the recesses of the post pub. Now, they wear skinny pants and scroll their feed looking for story ideas conceived by someone else, with aspirations of - some day! - becoming a “columnist.”

Honestly, local news is our last best hope.

Rankings
I could go along with everything except Small Print. I think they increasing regurgitate larger news outlets on anything not strictly local. I'll see something in USA Today today, then see the same story in the local Gannett newspaper. Similarly, I'll see something on good Morning America, then see it shortly after on my local ABC affiliate. I know that's not exactly what you were referring to.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I could go along with everything except Small Print. I think they increasing regurgitate larger news outlets on anything not strictly local. I'll see something in USA Today today, then see the same story in the local Gannett newspaper. Similarly, I'll see something on good Morning America, then see it shortly after on my local ABC affiliate. I know that's not exactly what you were referring to.

Valid point, for instance, the Pensacola News Journal is basically the USA Today with some local events and sports in the last few years

Reactions: Finance85

Rankings

Can't really agree with anything after Social Media Regurgitators.

If the question is "how much do you trust them" the MSM beat reporters are much higher than 5, and Large Print is by FAR the most trustworthy. They're the only ones who are not on the 24-hour news cycle and so still take the time to be fact-checked and edited. 99.99% of anything you read in NYT, WSJ, etc. is factually correct. The editorial pages will certainly spin things, but they won't outright lie. Frankly, I can't even grasp your notion that the nightly news is more trustworthy than the New York Times.

It's lazy thinking by people to say "you can't trust any of them" because it's simply not true.

Reactions: Ree4 and RileyHawk
Can't really agree with anything after Social Media Regurgitators.

If the question is "how much do you trust them" the MSM beat reporters are much higher than 5, and Large Print is by FAR the most trustworthy. They're the only ones who are not on the 24-hour news cycle and so still take the time to be fact-checked and edited. 99.99% of anything you read in NYT, WSJ, etc. is factually correct. The editorial pages will certainly spin things, but they won't outright lie. Frankly, I can't even grasp your notion that the nightly news is more trustworthy than the New York Times.

It's lazy thinking by people to say "you can't trust any of them" because it's simply not true.

The question was how much I trust each option, and I answered by expressing my feelings about their trustworthiness.
I included ( etc.) at the end of large print because there are thousands of large print options. If you feel the New York Post ( just one example) is not willing or agreeable to embellish a story, we will just have to agree to disagree.

The question was how much I trust each option, and I answered by expressing my feelings about their trustworthiness.
I included ( etc.) at the end of large print because there are thousands of large print options. If you feel the New York Post ( just one example) is not willing or agreeable to embellish a story, we will just have to agree to disagree.

You pulled a pretty big switcharoo there, changing New York Times to New York Post. It makes little sense to put them in the same category. The question was broad, and you narrowed it by creating categories. But if you put tabloids and the finest newspapers in the world in the same category, then there wasn’t much point in creating your categories.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
You pulled a pretty big switcharoo there, changing New York Times to New York Post. It makes little sense to put them in the same category. The question was broad, and you narrowed it by creating categories. But if you put tabloids and the finest newspapers in the world in the same category, then there wasn’t much point in creating your categories.

Actually, art, I didn't switch anything. You made an assumption based on what I listed under large print. I should have listed the NY Times and the NY Post, as the category was meant to represent large national print/ online material people consume as their preferred choice for news, not just the large national newspapers everyone ( mostly) trusts.
I gave the category a four because there seem to be two Washington Examiners for every New York Times, which dilutes the category.

I hope that helps clarify my comments and categories on the topic.

A strong 1.0 The press is just a marketing gimmick, a bad one at that. All entertainment no news without bias, mostly far-right leaning bias.

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT