ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer will new vehicles come with AM/FM radios?

I listen to kxic 1540 in the cedar valley, especially in the morning. It’s all local programming in the morning and I hear relevant local news and weather and also relevant state history and information.

I get called into work a lot in the middle of the night and on my way to and from I’ll sometimes listen for a few minutes to the crazy preaching on there from 1 am to 3 am. Most of the time I can’t understand what the preacher is talking about but it always makes me laugh. It’s some inbred church that has 80 or so people that live in a compound and pay for broadcast time at night on lots of AM stations. It’s more or less a cult. The head guy is dead now but he was arrested a few times for assaulting underage girls. I think it’s called Overcomer ministries. Not sure why but I get a kick out of hearing it for a few minutes. Then I switch to xm radio.
I believe you're actually listening to KXEL in the W-CF area. Good to hear they have actual live programming.

KXIC-AM 800 is an Iowa City station and it's entirely zombified. It's only redeeming trait is they carry some Hawkeye sports programming.

Reactions: pjhawk
I believe you're actually listening to KXEL in the W-CF area. Good to hear they have actual live programming.

KXIC-AM 800 is an Iowa City station and it's entirely zombified. It's only redeeming trait is they carry some Hawkeye sports programming.
Haha, good point. Not sure why I had kxic on my mind. Went to school in Iowa city and listened to them a long time ago. You’re correct, KXEL is what I listen to and they have pretty good live programming. In fact their morning show is called live and local.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
In my area, there are several AM radio stations that still have value carrying local programming and sports, 620 KMNS, 570 WNAX, 1570 KVTK, 1360 KSCJ, 1230 KWSN, and 1320 KELO. I know plenty of people in the LeMars area who still tune into KLEM certain times of the day just to get local news.

Don't know why people would celebrate the demise of AM radio as it is more than just "conservative talk radio". It actually provides a valuable community service along the same lines as a local newspaper or TV station, even if you don't always tune in it is good to know it is there.

So how will this affect my plugging in my phone and listening to Spotify? Or connecting to Mrs. Ed's Bluetooth in hers for the same reason?

For years we have listened to Sound off on the way home from the 11:00 or 2:30 games at Kinnick. It was a ritual of ours for a lot of years.

Also, the AM radio was a good way for utility crews to tell if there was something arcing in switching or sub stations. That arc would make a lot of noise on an AM radio.

If cars no longer have radios, that's pretty much the death knell for broadcast radio, isn't it?

I was so poor I had to buy an FM converter listen to rock music...
s-l225.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT