ADVERTISEMENT

How the B1G tournament was won?

PSU197276

Rookie
Mar 8, 2016
Hi all,

New poster to your site but long time lurker. As a 40 yr. wrestling fan I come in peace. I was a lurker because as a fan of wrestling, I know that this site is probably the best for understanding Iowa wrestling. Obviously your history is the best of all college teams and that need to be recognized. BUT, I am a PSU grad. and things have really gone our way since Cael came on board. Not to offend anyone, I think it will continue. I dream of the day that we reach Gable's long term domination.

I actually believe that your squad wrestled better than anticipated. There was more offense than observed the last few years.

I realize that many posters "hate" PSU but again I come in peace. Most of our fans are actually decent and just enjoy wrestling and recognize both good and bad wrestling.

I do know Iowa. My wife is an Iowa grad. and I have visited your state for 35 consecutive years to visit the in-laws. So again, I am not the enemy.

I came upon this article today which attempts to explain why this year's crown went to the Nitts.

I would really appreciate those interested to read the piece and provide constructive analysis. THANKS!

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Now that's some analysis there. Interesting stuff. I didn't do a "deep dive" to determine which exact wrestler was which in the "Points Scorers Ordered" chart, but that chart I think captures some of my feelings about things.

"Compare Penn State to 2nd-place Iowa. The Hawks' three best point scorers at this tournament lost 3, 4, and 6.5 points to their Nittany Lion counterparts. That's 13.5 points of the 23.5 margin. Penn State, then, had better top-end firepower at this tournament."

Referring to the excerpted paragraph above(and I assume you have our 3 top scorers as Clark, Brooks and Sorenson)...do you think that the gap between PSU and IA here would have been lessened had our big guns received 1st round match ups? (I also assume you our #4 and #5 guys as Burak and Gilman.)

Bottom line, I think many here have correctly diagnosed the situation as it relates to IA...we need 1 or 2 more "finals caliber" guys in our line up. I think the analysis you linked supports that notion.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Welcome to the board. Great analytics in the article you linked. Tells the story that many on here have been telling for a while (as you stated).

It looks good on paper. Since you have time to kill which probably only will take three minutes, what would the final score have been if our 4 guys who had to take 1st round byes, would have had two falls and two majors and your top four guys would have had to take buys and only got 1 point for advancements. Penn State would still have won but your tables would have been a lot different. And again, when you have 5 or 6 number one rated wrestlers coming out of high school your odds of having a great team is pretty good. Just ask Alabama in football. Oh what a great job of coaching. If that's true why didn't PS have 10 guys in the top 8 in the B10's?

Reactions: #10Hawk
Haven't read the article, but I assume it includes the fact that our heavyweight tore up his knee two weeks ago and was a shell of himself. We get at least 3rd-place points instead of 8th, and probably at least one more fall, if Stoll is healthy.

Another factor was Grothus' horrible luck of having to face the #1 seed followed by the #2 seed, after Thorn got upset (ironically, by Sabatello, a guy Brody shut out, 6-0, in the dual meet).

A third factor was Gulibon's surprise finish.

At the end of the day, we need another stud or two to take out PSU. I have great faith that this will happen relatively soon.

Good article and kind of spelled out what many thought before. Penn State was the favorite going in and would need a lot to happen to change that. Iowa needs one more top tier wrestler to threaten for a title (plus Stoll turning into a championship contender). The good news is that it is almost in place just needs to come together. A healthy Stoll at heavyweight and a contender in Alex Meyer at 174. The bad news is Penn State keeps turning out elite young wrestlers and doesn't appear to be stuttering

Hi all,

New poster to your site but long time lurker. As a 40 yr. wrestling fan I come in peace. I was a lurker because as a fan of wrestling, I know that this site is probably the best for understanding Iowa wrestling. Obviously your history is the best of all college teams and that need to be recognized. BUT, I am a PSU grad. and things have really gone our way since Cael came on board. Not to offend anyone, I think it will continue. I dream of the day that we reach Gable's long term domination.

I actually believe that your squad wrestled better than anticipated. There was more offense than observed the last few years.

I realize that many posters "hate" PSU but again I come in peace. Most of our fans are actually decent and just enjoy wrestling and recognize both good and bad wrestling.

I do know Iowa. My wife is an Iowa grad. and I have visited your state for 35 consecutive years to visit the in-laws. So again, I am not the enemy.

I came upon this article today which attempts to explain why this year's crown went to the Nitts.

I would really appreciate those interested to read the piece and provide constructive analysis. THANKS!

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I stopped reading after this.

Seriously, welcome and thanks for the link.

It looks good on paper. Since you have time to kill which probably only will take three minutes, what would the final score have been if our 4 guys who had to take 1st round byes, would have had two falls and two majors and your top four guys would have had to take buys and only got 1 point for advancements.
Ding. Ding. We have a winner. It doesn't change who wins or loses, but it does alter things.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Yes there were a lot "what ifs". That is what makes the topic fun as it is with all sports. I agree that getting less byes was big. I just brought the article here to stimulate conversation not to promote controversy. I think most saw that.

wasdt21 - Notice in the thread title there is no mention of "we"! It is NOT gloating. I still recall last year where "we" did not fare too well. Still not the "enemy", just a fan of the sport and of course, PSU. Realize I root for Iowa in all things not Nitt related.

Statistics are great to look at but. The real reason PSU won; they scored more points!!!!! More finalists, more wins, more studs. Don't need a statistical rundown after the fact. We also don't need to look at the statistics after the National finals. PSU will win the big one because they will score more points. Not what I want to happen but the reality is we are 2 studs short of PSU. That statistic won't change.

Well, thanks for the link, I guess. PSU has a great team, and only a buffoon would argue otherwise. That being said, your post was the definition of passive/aggressive (as evidenced by you feeling the need to mention that you "think things will continue to go your way.") Also, the backhanded compliment about how our "improved offense" lead us to "wrestling better than anticipated", does nothing to make me believe that you "come in peace".

As I stated, Cael has a crew that is talented and exciting to watch. This has not changed in the last 5-6 years, and I don't look for it to change in the near future. It is clear to us Hawkeye fans that the bar has been raised. Iowa has clearly made progress, and I firmly believe that TnT will be relentless in their pursuit of returning Iowa to the top of the collegiate wrestling world. I believe a few fundamental changes within the program have already occurred, and I anticipate there will be more to come...

Shows what a lot of us know. We need one more super stud.

Even if you throw Rutgers 141er Ashnault on our team instead of Grothus, we are awfully close to them in stats up and down the lineup - which is pretty amazing given the gap in recruiting (and Stoll injury and Meyer underperformance).

I still think we can do more with less, but do need enough horses to get the job done (which we don't this year).

Shows what a lot of us know. We need one more super stud.

Even if you throw Rutgers 141er Ashnault on our team instead of Grothus, we are awfully close to them in stats up and down the lineup - which is pretty amazing given the gap in recruiting (and Stoll injury and Meyer underperformance).

I still think we can do more with less, but do need enough horses to get the job done (which we don't this year).
Maybe Kevin Jack enjoyed his time at Carver so much during National Duals he'll transfer? :)

Reactions: hlstone
hurlhawk.

Nothing passive/aggressive about the post nor intended as such. I DO think things will continue to be bright for PSU. (4 team studs are still young, + Suriano, Manville, Lee brothers, Cortez, Joseph, Cassar, Hall, and hopefully a 3rd Lee :)) I think you stated as much, also. Just saying that I'm optimistic that Cael will continue to grab future studs.

Watched as much as I could on BTN and btn2goplus this year, and your Hawks wrestled better than I anticipated they would. Subjective but not disrespectful. What was your expectation?

Good luck in the Nationals. Hopefully we finish 1-2 again. ;)

hurlhawk.

Nothing passive/aggressive about the post nor intended as such. I DO think things will continue to be bright for PSU. (4 team studs are still young, + Suriano, Manville, Lee brothers, Cortez, Joseph, Cassar, Hall, and hopefully a 3rd Lee :)) I think you stated as much, also. Just saying that I'm optimistic that Cael will continue to grab future studs.

Watched as much as I could on BTN and btn2goplus this year, and your Hawks wrestled better than I anticipated they would. Subjective but not disrespectful. What was your expectation?

Good luck in the Nationals. Hopefully we finish 1-2 again. ;)

you listed 13 wrestlers, but last time i checked, you can only wrestle 10 at a time...

PSU has a good thing going, but eventually, everyone else will catch up to them...it's not a matter of will they, but when they. Iowa and the 2 OSUs are closer than others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT