ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane politics...

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Federal aid to Texas probably will face some opposition from NE libs when it comes to Congress for a vote. A lot of these Congressfolks will repay Texas Congressman Sessions and others for their votes opposing Hurricane Sandy aid a few years ago. Karma is a bitch. Just remember cons and Texans..,what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Pols have long memories.

I'm starting to wonder if there is even one Democrat on this board (or anywhere, for that matter) who understands that Texas Republicans didn't claim Sandy victims shouldn't get any aid. I'm not aware of anyone who said they shouldn't get any.

They objected to specific pork barrel spending projects. They never said the Northeast shouldn't get anything. They simply said the Northeast shouldn't get $50.1 billion.

Thanks to the republican congressmen for removing much wetlands protection during the Bush 2 administration, much of those developments are now under water. But I'm sure the developers made their money.

Thanks to the republican congressmen for removing much wetlands protection during the Bush 2 administration, much of those developments are now under water. But I'm sure the developers made their money.

Are you aware that Houston/Harris County has no zoning laws - has never had zoning laws, and generally elects Democrats? That until the 90's the state often elected Democrats to be Governor? "Wetland protection" has been history for a long time. Houston is the 4th largest city in America, and took in almost 125,000 Katrina refugees, who by and large have remained.
The influx of newcomers has indeed shrunk surface ground by about 40% over the last 20 years, impacting the ability to soak up rainwater.
Like Florida, the inability to turn away folks from out of state has created challenges related to growth management.

Possibly looking at 40-50" of rain in Houston, that is insane. We had 7" of rain north of Chicago and 1/3 of the basements in our neighborhood were trashed. Luckily no basements in Houston, but with 50" I would be building an ark.

Are you aware that Houston/Harris County has no zoning laws - has never had zoning laws, and generally elects Democrats? That until the 90's the state often elected Democrats to be Governor? "Wetland protection" has been history for a long time. Houston is the 4th largest city in America, and took in almost 125,000 Katrina refugees, who by and large have remained.
The influx of newcomers has indeed shrunk surface ground by about 40% over the last 20 years, impacting the ability to soak up rainwater.
Like Florida, the inability to turn away folks from out of state has created challenges related to growth management.
yeah, the fact that anybody could make this about the left or the right, is beyond me. this thing destroyed a city. politics have no place. the feds are broke anyway, it's like begging for food from a homeless guy.

Maybe Florida should build a border wall?

Reactions: lucas80 and goldmom
Possibly looking at 40-50" of rain in Houston, that is insane. We had 7" of rain north of Chicago and 1/3 of the basements in our neighborhood were trashed. Luckily no basements in Houston, but with 50" I would be building an ark.
every now and then a commercial building has a basement but very few homes. most of the big buildings downtown have parking underground and/or delivery

Are you aware that Houston/Harris County has no zoning laws - has never had zoning laws...

THIS is a big part of the background/problem, regardless of which party "ran the place".

The "politics of less government" works in the short term, but can carry very large long-term risks like this. Houston has been trying to play 'catch up' on drainage systems for many years, but when zoning hasn't historically allowed any sort of planning, it ALWAYS costs more to fix retroactively, as opposed to proactively.

You can blame the Dems or Reps (whoever was in charge over the years) all day, but the bottom line is that the short-sighted policy of no zoning for proper draining, in a coastal city that can/will flood with any hurricane is a big contributor here.

That said....NO amount of planning was going to avoid flooding of epic proportions (50+" of rain), the likes of which no US city has ever seen.

And, yes, we CAN attribute some of that to climate change (NOT the event itself, but the MAGNITUDE of the event), as scientists have been telling us for many many years that 'extreme weather events become much more likely in a warmer climate'. We saw this in Boulder 2-3 years ago, when we got nearly 20" of rain in a few days (entire year's worth) due to an odd blocking pattern. And that, like Houston, blew prior records completely away. Just like Houston, it was something like 2x the previous record rainfall for a short period.

THIS is a big part of the background/problem, regardless of which party "ran the place".

The "politics of less government" works in the short term, but can carry very large long-term risks like this. Houston has been trying to play 'catch up' on drainage systems for many years, but when zoning hasn't historically allowed any sort of planning, it ALWAYS costs more to fix retroactively, as opposed to proactively.

You can blame the Dems or Reps (whoever was in charge over the years) all day, but the bottom line is that the short-sighted policy of no zoning for proper draining, in a coastal city that can/will flood with any hurricane is a big contributor here.

That said....NO amount of planning was going to avoid flooding of epic proportions (50+" of rain), the likes of which no US city has ever seen.

And, yes, we CAN attribute some of that to climate change (NOT the event itself, but the MAGNITUDE of the event), as scientists have been telling us for many many years that 'extreme weather events become much more likely in a warmer climate'. We saw this in Boulder 2-3 years ago, when we got nearly 20" of rain in a few days (entire year's worth) due to an odd blocking pattern. And that, like Houston, blew prior records completely away. Just like Houston, it was something like 2x the previous record rainfall for a short period.
bullcrap. man can't change the climate or else he would have changed it back to avoid this

this is exactly the problem with sandy: dems and the left were claiming climate change and claiming repubbers deny it so they deny money, which is bullcrap. so now dems say repubbers who deny are Texans so karma

Reactions: Herkmeister
bullcrap. man can't change the climate or else he would have changed it back to avoid this
giphy.gif

this is exactly the problem with sandy: dems and the left were claiming climate change and claiming repubbers deny it so they deny money, which is bullcrap. so now dems say repubbers who deny are Texans so karma

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to politicize this storm?

You can't "change back" what you're still affecting.
Much like you cannot put a plane back together after it crashes into a mountainside.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this.

You can't "change back" what you're still affecting.
Much like you cannot put a plane back together after it crashes into a mountainside.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this.
we are still waiting for man to effect it after thousands of years
.still waiting

we are still waiting for man to effect it after thousands of years
.still waiting

Started happening ~10,000 yrs ago.
Picking up speed today.

Google Ruddiman.

Also, learn the difference between "effect" and "affect". Not knowing how to use those in a sentence makes you look even more uneducated.

Reactions: lucas80
Yup that definitely is why they have all the flooding!!Now I know why mother lions eat their young.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
"Less government" doesn't mean there isn't a need for some government, and a safety net. Jeesh, why do people have to try to make things so absolute? IT's tiresome.
It means less of those things. Why are you trying to deny that? It's tiresome when you don't own the consequences of your positions.

How come Houston's Democrat mayor didn't have his city prepared and didn't order mandatory evacuations?

I really wasn't going to bring politics into this disaster because it's not tasteful. Leave it to the left to do it for me.

How come Houston's Democrat mayor didn't have his city prepared and didn't order mandatory evacuations?

I really wasn't going to bring politics into this disaster because it's not tasteful. Leave it to the left to do it for me.
while he is kind of a dbag and that's a given, because most political figures are.... especially in Houston....nobody could have prepared for this crap!

I'm starting to wonder if there is even one Democrat on this board (or anywhere, for that matter) who understands that Texas Republicans didn't claim Sandy victims shouldn't get any aid. I'm not aware of anyone who said they shouldn't get any.

They objected to specific pork barrel spending projects. They never said the Northeast shouldn't get anything. They simply said the Northeast shouldn't get $50.1 billion.
It's always nice when someone from 2000 miles away tells you what you do and don't need. How does that work, exactly?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT