ADVERTISEMENT

I’m still pretty shocked we got Cade….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
It hit me today. We just blew past that and went back to! We suck on offense … We have a proven commodity @ QB, that we all agree will improve our team we don’t have to “hope“ an unproven quarterback are on our roster works… We have two very good, proven running backs. Our real problem is the offensive line and if they can get shit figured out there really should be a lot more general positivity around here even with BF being our O-coordinator.

Now, if you’re from the school of thought that Brian Ferentz ****ed up the O-line and it’s his fault for playing such a shitty quarterback, then I guess I get your negativity, but there are a lot more moving parts than that and we all agree. Spencer Petras was not a very good quarterback, and I think we all pretty much now have realized sadly ( still the the coaches fault) but we did not have an adequate quarterback on the roster…. We honestly should be pretty positive!

We know we have a solid quarterback, we know we have solid running backs, and we know we have terrific TE’s…That’s a lot of positivity for an offense that has sucked for a couple years!

Last edited:
I can’t agree that qb position is solid, especially when your expected starter is new to the program, coming off an injury and is limited at best at this point. He’s clearly talented, but won’t call it solid until he’s actually taken a meaningful snap.

I don’t blame Brian for the oline woes. Attrition, poor recruiting and throwing guys in before they’re ready, especially when you’re a developmental program, is to blame, in my opinion.

I can’t agree that qb position is solid, especially when your expected starter is new to the program, coming off an injury and is limited at best at this point. He’s clearly talented, but won’t call it solid until he’s actually taken a meaningful snap.

I don’t blame Brian for the oline woes. Attrition, poor recruiting and throwing guys in before they’re ready, especially when you’re a developmental program, is to blame, in my opinion.

Solid points!

Except retention and recruiting are also a big part of his responsibilities.

tenor.gif

(on offense)

The name is more than the player at this point. He was a fill in at Michigan for a season before the more talented kid was ready.

Reactions: littlez
The name is more than the player at this point. He was a fill in at Michigan for a season before the more talented kid was ready.
The guy took his team to the playoff and was credited as being one of the program leaders that helped change the culture at Michigan.

Eventually, Cade was beat out by a world class athlete.

Iowa is getting a good player. If you are shaky on Cade you must have really hated Petras and Padilla

Glad we got Cade. Regardless of other factor, Iowa FB still offers a top stage for an athlete to showcase their skills and that will always attract some level of talent.

I worry, that we will see KF trot Spencer out there and it will lead to something with the fan base, that isn’t pretty.

Hmmmm.

64.2% completion rate, close to 2,600 yards, 15 TD's and 6 ints. Two of the ints against Georgia, who I hear is pretty good. CB rating 141.9. SP's career rating was 114.7 with a high of 119.

Won the B1G and went to the playoffs.

Pretty good upgrade.

Hmmmm. 64.2% completion rate, close to 2,600 yards, 15 TD's and 6 ints. Two of the ints against Georgia, who I hear is pretty good. CB rating 141.9. SP's career rating was 114.7 with a high of 119. Won the B1G and went to the playoffs. Pretty good upgrade.

My recollection is that Cade played on a team that accomplished all of that....

It hit me today. We just blew past that and went back to! We suck on offense … We have a proven commodity @ QB, that we all agree will improve our team we don’t have to “hope“ an unproven quarterback are on our roster works… We have two very good, proven running backs. Our real problem is the offensive line and if they can get shit figured out there really should be a lot more general positivity around here even with BF being our O-coordinator.

Now, if you’re from the school of thought that Brian Ferentz ****ed up the O-line and it’s his fault for playing such a shitty quarterback, then I guess I get your negativity, but there are a lot more moving parts than that and we all agree. Spencer Petras was not a very good quarterback, and I think we all pretty much now have realized sadly ( still the the coaches fault) but we did not have an adequate quarterback on the roster…. We honestly should be pretty positive!

We know we have a solid quarterback, we know we have solid running backs, and we know we have terrific TE’s…That’s a lot of positivity for an offense that has sucked for a couple years!
How can Cade come in and learn the offense that quickly and not even have to have a competition for the position? Every year until now it has been an "open QB competition".

Cade will only be as successful as the OL, if the OL is not fixed (essentially doing a 180), Cade will be limited on how successful he is.

Does anyone think it is strange three receivers left the program shortly after Petras was named starting QB again last spring? They sure didn’t seem to agree with that decision. Wonder why.

Why?! we saw how bad the deer was… I.e. worse in a lot of our opinions… And after a whole month worth of Bill Pratt Labas was ok….

So it looks pretty straightforward to anyone without an agenda!

I/e: not you

You left out poor technique. And attrition and putting guys in too early are the same thing. If you don't blame Brian for those things, who do you blame? He's had more than enough time in the position to get it right and it has only gotten worse.
I hope Cade is the missing piece, but there are a lot of other major issues that a pocket passer coming off an injury might not be able to fix. We've been told for years that the QB position at Iowa is responsible for so much, it takes at least 3 years in the system to fully grasp it. I fear we're in for another season of the offense having ONE audible when the QB checks at the line. We're in for a record number of stretch runs to the short side on 2nd and 3 which result a 4 yard loss. Then a bunch of 4 yard stop routes on 3rd and 7.

The people now downplaying McNamara are the same ones that said we'd win the West and compete for a conference title last year if we had anyone but Petras. Some even said Padilla or Labas were the answer to being a playoff contending team the last two years for no reason other than they weren't Petras. McNamara is significantly better than Padilla, Labas, and Petras. There is no position group at Iowa on offense or defense that will be worse next year than they were this year, except maybe linebacker, but the defense is rarely a concern. There is no reason to believe that this team won't compete with every team on the schedule and should be favored in all but maybe two (at Penn State and at Wisconsin). Some just love being negative.

The people now downplaying McNamara are the same ones that said we'd win the West and compete for a conference title last year if we had anyone but Petras. Some even said Padilla or Labas were the answer to being a playoff contending team the last two years for no reason other than they weren't Petras. McNamara is significantly better than Padilla, Labas, and Petras. There is no position group at Iowa on offense or defense that will be worse next year than they were this year, except maybe linebacker, but the defense is rarely a concern. There is no reason to believe that this team won't compete with every team on the schedule and should be favored in all but maybe two (at Penn State and at Wisconsin). Some just love being negative.
The wide receiving room has entered the chat. Two of your top three guys are gone from last year. Keagan Johnson, Arland Bruce, Nico, and Tyrone Tracey would have been a pretty good receiving room.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
The wide receiving room has entered the chat. Two of your top three guys are gone from last year.
I stand by my opinion that the guys replacing those two are every bit as good, assuming you mean Johnson who didn't play any meaningful time. Our top three wide receivers last year were 1. Ragaini, 2. Bruce, and 3. Vines, and two of them are back.

Last edited:
I stand by my opinion that the guys replacing those two are every bit as good, assuming you mean Johnson who didn't play any meaningful time. Our top three wide receivers last year were 1. Ragaini, 2. Bruce, and 3. Vines, and two of them are back.
Keagan was our most talented receiver, followed by Arland. Keagan’s production was not far off from Vines in less games played. Keagan and Arland have led us to victories in games we had no business winning.

• Haha
The people now downplaying McNamara are the same ones that said we'd win the West and compete for a conference title last year if we had anyone but….,,,, that this team won't compete with every team on the schedule and should be favored in all but maybe two (at Penn State and at Wisconsin). Some just love being negative.

Yes, yes they do!

Keagan was our most talented receiver, followed by Arland. Keagan’s production was not far off from Vines in less games played. Keagan and Arland have led us to victories in games we had no business winning.
Basing my opinion on last year's results, however, Keagan was a non-factor. He had 4 catches for 27 yards. Vines had 10 for 94. Keagan didn't lead us to any victories last year. We could have been better with a healthy KJ playing last year, but realistically, he can be considered a loss to the roster prior to the 2022 season.

The wide receiving room has entered the chat. Two of your top three guys are gone from last year. Keagan Johnson, Arland Bruce, Nico, and Tyrone Tracey would have been a pretty good receiving room.

Huh…,Johnson never played. Tracey went to PU and caught 26 passes for 185 yards. Bruce dropped lots of balls and Nico didn’t finally look decent until the end of the season?!

Am I missing something here? If our wide receivers, even walkons, can’t perform better than what we had last year?! Then that really is tragic.!!

How can Cade come in and learn the offense that quickly and not even have to have a competition for the position? Every year until now it has been an "open QB competition".

Cade will only be as successful as the OL, if the OL is not fixed (essentially doing a 180), Cade will be limited on how successful he is.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll we have been hearing here over and over it was mostly Spencer's fault. I am getting confused.

But, for me, it’s the biggest opportunity to flip (the offense). That’s what I get fired up about. Please, just keep on saying it’s the sh*ttiest offense in college football. Please just think we are gonna be so shitty next year. Please.

— Cade McNamara on Iowa’s offense, via The Room

Reactions: Bishop1971

Player development, including QBs, is still expected............

And as mentioned, there's the whole recruiting thing, which to this day, I can't look past the fact that certain individuals on this staff (whether current or otherwise) settled on Spencer Petras over Zach Wilson and Trey Lance............

And as mentioned, there's the whole recruiting thing, which to this day, I can't look past the fact that certain individuals on this staff (whether current or otherwise) settled on Spencer Petras over Zach Wilson and Trey Lance............
That was Ken O Keefe and he is no longer on staff.

True…but let’s remember someone settled on those 2 guys at the NFL level too….and as of yet, no fruit !

True…but let’s remember someone settled on those 2 guys at the NFL level too….and as of yet, no fruit !
True. Look how many NFL QBs drafted in 1st round turn out to be busts or bench warmers, and that's after a full college career and close up evals.

Reactions: cmhawks99
My point is simple….at that level, to take those 2, that high….was a mistake, just like us taking Petras. Every misses at times…you could say the NFL misses were bigger.

It’s all relative!
It's spin using NFL to college comparisons.

Lance and Wilson were highly successful college QBs. Who gives a f*** what they do in the NFL.

Brad Banks never did anything in the NFL. Was it a mistake to add him as a transfer?

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT