ADVERTISEMENT

I can’t wait until we get a new coach…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
To complain about…. Hell we might be able to get Calipari🤷‍♂️ Kentucky fans are tired of him only winning it once with and no FFs since I think 2015?

To complain about…. Hell we might be able to get Calipari🤷‍♂️ Kentucky fans are tired of him only winning it once with and no FFs since I think 2015?
I wish we are all is cool as you. Mr. Reasonable Message Board Fan.

I do think Fran is a good human and that's important. However:
1. This is what, like his 14th season? How many tournament wins does he have? 0 Sweet 16s
2. We have the same problem every year. No defense, guard problems, a bunch of white guys
3. Nepotism is going to annoy people, especially when some NBA guys spent time on the bench while his kids played.
4. He acts like an asshole on the sidelines a lot. The act has grown tired.
5. He has no idea when to call a timeout. HIs rotation at times are really bad. Outside of calling great out of bounds plays, he's not a good in game coach.

So yeah, for a lot us, it's gotten really old. Yes he's the all time winningest coach, but he's also lost more than everyone else too. So if you don't want to see complaining about him, piss off and do something else.

Comparing Fran to Calipari regarding expectations is a reach at best. At KY, Final Fours and national titles are constant expectations. At Iowa, let's just say that the expectations aren't nearly that high.

I wish we are all is cool as you. Mr. Reasonable Message Board Fan.

I do think Fran is a good human and that's important. However:
1. This is what, like his 14th season? How many tournament wins does he have? 0 Sweet 16s
2. We have the same problem every year. No defense, guard problems, a bunch of white guys
3. Nepotism is going to annoy people, especially when some NBA guys spent time on the bench while his kids played.
4. He acts like an asshole on the sidelines a lot. The act has grown tired.
5. He has no idea when to call a timeout. HIs rotation at times are really bad. Outside of calling great out of bounds plays, he's not a good in game coach.

So yeah, for a lot us, it's gotten really old. Yes he's the all time winningest coach, but he's also lost more than everyone else too. So if you don't want to see complaining about him, piss off and do something else.

We’ll You aren’t, and you don’t get it, it’s never, ever enough, anywhere….

Some of you guys struggle understanding there’s a percentage of us that probably don’t care about the current coaches, KF included, as you think we do. We just like to point out the obvious….

You are never, ever going to be okay with ANY coach for very long. there’s always 15 to 20% of the fans that want to change and after that change comes…. in a very short amount of time they want another one…..

Pick a fan of any fan base and at some point in time that “15 to 20%” has opined that it’s time to get a new coach. It’s exhausting and I like to F/with people about it…

I can’t stand watching Frans teams play defense it’s irritating as hell. I just know you won’t be happy with the next Coach after very long either….

It’s just math really….

Some of you guys struggle understanding there’s a percentage of us that probably don’t care about the current coaches, KF included, as you think we do. We just like to point out the obvious….

You are never, ever going to be okay with ANY coach for very long. there’s always 15 to 20% of the fans that want to change and after that change comes…. in a very short amount of time they want another one…..

Pick a fan of any fan base and at some point in time that “15 to 20%” has opined that it’s time to get a new coach. It’s exhausting and I like to F/with people about it…

I can’t stand watching Frans teams play defense it’s irritating as hell. I just know you won’t be happy with the next Coach after very long either….

It’s just math really….
You crack me up. Don’t fall off your soapbox, Junior…

Comparing Fran to Calipari regarding expectations is a reach at best. At KY, Final Fours and national titles are constant expectations. At Iowa, let's just say that the expectations aren't nearly that high.

Dude….are people really that daft. It absolutely is NOT a reach when you are talking fan bases and expectations….its a moving target and it is NEVER enough…..

If Calipari came to Iowa and went to three straight final fours and then the next three years had middling seasons and barely made the tournament….you “types” would wonder if it’s time for a change?!

It’s how you are….quite frankly it is what it is….fans are super irritating. I aim to be just as irritating to “those” fans…

I honestly don’t care if Fran moves on or not. Hopeful we upgrade and if we don’t, it will bother you a hell of a lot more than me….😂

It’s just math really….
I was great with KF all the way up until it was obvious his son was in way over his head and KF wouldn't do anything about it. I think fans have a right to feel that way.

With Fran, I was thrilled with how he turned the program the program around. But there comes a point when you know what he is, and what our ceiling is. For some, going to the tournament is all we should ever expect. I personally think with our resources, we should at least make a Sweet 16 once in awhile. You can think that's unrealistic, that's fine. But this whole act that you are somehow better than all of us and reasonable and realistic is just dumb. You just have lower expectations.

OP is right that there will always be a certain segment of the fan base that will never be happy, but I think all fan bases have those. Personally, I try to be reasonable. It's been 14 years, and I was in Fran's corner until a couple of years ago.

Fran has been here nearly a decade and a half. That's a long time to be at one place unless you're delivering historically great results for the program. Fran hasn't done that IMO. He may be the winningest coach (that's cool), but he's also the longest tenured. His winning percentage is only a bit better than Alford, and well short of Davis. He's never seriously contended for a regular season conference title, and has just 4 NCAA tournament wins in that time, and it looks like a longshot that he'll had to that this year.

I personally believe that we've already seen Fran's best. Attendance is dwindling. Guard play and defense continue to be a persistent issue. Things feel stale. Fran has done some good things here, but IMHO, a change of scenery would probably be best for Fran AND the fan base.

Just my 2 cents.

I was great with KF all the way up until it was obvious his son was in way over his head and KF wouldn't do anything about it. I think fans have a right to feel that way.

With Fran, I was thrilled with how he turned the program the program around. But there comes a point when you know what he is, and what our ceiling is. For some, going to the tournament is all we should ever expect. I personally think with our resources, we should at least make a Sweet 16 once in awhile. You can think that's unrealistic, that's fine. But this whole act that you are somehow better than all of us and reasonable and realistic is just dumb. You just have lower expectations.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic….but reality is, none of you hold yourselves to those same kind of standards or you wouldn’t be here posting and that’s just a fact. It’s true for me too….

I’ve had some success in my life, but I could have had more….my longtime hope is, you and those like you one day have someone following you around questioning every parental decision, every job done, their driving, their talking, their eating, etc…,

Then you’d get it…

And just so you’re clear I don’t know whether Fran is or isn’t a good human being he’s kind of an ass often times on the sidelines and I am fond of telling people I can’t stand watching a team that couldn’t guard a cinderblock with a chain tied to their ankle, so I have no love, won or lost for Fran McCaffrey….

But you fans constantly complaining about bullshit on the Internet is a pet project of mine…

Honestly, his defense is the only thing I have that much of a problem with. I’m not alarmed about his timeouts, or his rotation, or, or, or… You guys all act like you’re enlightened basketball fans, shit you say the same thing on every damn board!

If that’s enlightenment it’s pretty tired…

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
lol….then you’d know the comment is a win, dumbass.

Try again….
200.gif

OP is right that there will always be a certain segment of the fan base that will never be happy, but I think all fan bases have those. Personally, I try to be reasonable. It's been 14 years, and I was in Fran's corner until a couple of years ago.

Fran has been here nearly a decade and a half. That's a long time to be at one place unless you're delivering historically great results for the program. Fran hasn't done that IMO. He may be the winningest coach (that's cool), but he's also the longest tenured. His winning percentage is only a bit better than Alford, and well short of Davis. He's never seriously contended for a regular season conference title, and has just 4 NCAA tournament wins in that time, and it looks like a longshot that he'll had to that this year.

I personally believe that we've already seen Fran's best. Attendance is dwindling. Guard play and defense continue to be a persistent issue. Things feel stale. Fran has done some good things here, but IMHO, a change of scenery would probably be best for Fran AND the fan base.

Just my 2 cents.

14 years is long enough….id wager we have at least as good a chance to be worse however! But he’s had plenty of time…that’s not my issue and your take is reasonable and non hostile

IMO…this is not remotely similar to the football team as they’ve had their best 10 year run ever, despite their glaring decencies.

And so we’re clear, and as I’ve said, elsewhere, if any of you on this board got named Coach, and could keep the defense intact and continue winning. At least the same amount of games while fixing the offense. I would sign off on your hiring….

But that’s not even a 50% proposition in my mind.

As fir Fran, defense is extremely important in college basketball and as an example I’ll give you Iowa State. I watch them play quite a bit, and when you talk about a team of bricklayers, holy shit is their offense tough to watch. It’s almost akin to the Iowa football team, but they are an extremely tough out.

There’s a decent chance we could have way poorer offense and end up a much better team…

However, playing devils advocate I ask you…are you going to enjoy watching that team play as much as you enjoy watching Fran McCaffrey‘s teams play if the results are similar and offense is like ISU?!

Nice try… But you wouldn’t have made the comment otherwise. And ill wager youll never make it again now that you know….LOL

My hope is to really irritate the shit out of you… if you ignored me completely or didn’t comment at all how the hell would I know lol

It’s one of the main reasons I avoid, not “ignore” but avoid responding to some people at all….

And they know who they are, and one of them in fact, will be through in a few minutes to try to goad me, and if I respond in the “wrong way” he will assume he. “got me”….🤡 right Evil…

I don’t think it’s unrealistic….but reality is, none of you hold yourselves to those same kind of standards or you wouldn’t be here posting and that’s just a fact. It’s true for me too….

I’ve had some success in my life, but I could have had more….my longtime hope is, you and those like you one day have someone following you around questioning every parental decision, every job done, their driving, their talking, their eating, etc…,

Then you’d get it…

And just so you’re clear I don’t know whether Fran is or isn’t a good human being he’s kind of an ass often times on the sidelines and I am fond of telling people I can’t stand watching a team that couldn’t guard a cinderblock with a chain tied to their ankle, so I have no love, won or lost for Fran McCaffrey….

But you fans constantly complaining about bullshit on the Internet is a pet project of mine…

Honestly, his defense is the only thing I have that much of a problem with. I’m not alarmed about his timeouts, or his rotation, or, or, or… You guys all act like you’re enlightened basketball fans, shit you say the same thing on every damn board!

If that’s enlightenment it’s pretty tired…
You should change your handle to Message Board Jesus. Here to save us all.

Nice try… But you wouldn’t have made the comment otherwise. And ill wager youll never make it again now that you know….LOL

My hope is to really irritate the shit out of you… if you ignored me completely or didn’t comment at all how the hell would I know lol

It’s one of the main reasons I avoid, not “ignore” but avoid responding to some people at all….

And they know who they are, and one of them in fact, will be through in a few minutes to try to goad me, and if I respond in the “wrong way” he will assume he. “got me”….🤡 right Evil…
Haha, like you assume you “got me”. Good stuff…

I’m not trying to save you…I’m trying to make you self aware or pissed, either or….
So you are a troll who thinks you are better than everyone. Cool. If it makes you feel cool to be a dick on a fan message board, go for it.

However, playing devils advocate I ask you…are you going to enjoy watching that team play as much as you enjoy watching Fran McCaffrey‘s teams play if the results are similar and offense is like ISU?!
I'm a bottom line kind of a guy, and it's the Ws that matter most to me. But all other things being equal, sure, I would prefer up-tempo action.

I don't get too hung up on style of play, though. I enjoy a victory in a close, low-scoring affair just as much as winning a shootout. Same goes for losing. I don't feel any better about the losses just because the team is playing up-tempo and might be more "fun" to watch. I would gladly sacrifice style of play to get the results Bo Ryan had with Wisconsin, playing their style.

Don't think this thread is progressing like the OP expected.

Really…isn’t it almost exactly like you thought it would….a bunch of back & forth pot shots like most every post on this board between people like you and people like me…

Again I’m routinely shocked at the lack of awareness at where things are & where they are heading.,,

I'm a bottom line kind of a guy, and it's the Ws that matter most to me. But all other things being equal, sure, I would prefer up-tempo action.

I don't get too hung up on style of play, though. I enjoy a victory in a close, low-scoring affair just as much as winning a shootout. Same goes for losing. I don't feel any better about the losses just because the team is playing up-tempo and might be more "fun" to watch. I would gladly sacrifice style of play to get the results Bo Ryan had with Wisconsin, playing their style.

Absolutely….i agree totally. In fact, I prefer a defensive oriented style for the most part. I know I’m a little bit in the minority on this as it pertains to the egregious obscenity of our football team and its offense but for me I can’t stand losing games 102 to 100 because we couldn’t stop anybody…

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Absolutely….i agree totally. In fact, I prefer a defensive oriented style for the most part. I know I’m a little bit in the minority on this as it pertains to the egregious obscenity of our football team and its offense but for me I can’t stand losing games 102 to 100 because we couldn’t stop anybody…
Agreed. If you score 90-100 points, that really ought to be enough to win if you're playing any defense at all. You may lose because your shots aren't dropping. It happens. But, I don't see any excuse for lack of intensity on the defensive end, though. That's something a team ought to be able to control.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agreed. If you score 90-100 points, that really ought to be enough to win if you're playing any defense at all. You may lose because your shots aren't dropping. It happens. But, I don't see any excuse for lack of intensity on the defensive end, though. That's something a team ought to be able to control.

Dead on….. on a sidenote, I looked back at how I responded to you first, and I’ve seen you post before, and I know we aren’t lockstep, but my reference of “you“ wasn’t lumping you in with some of the other fans that I collide with.

I shouldn’t even do that. I’m a persnickety asshole at times, but you can see I don’t mind disagreement or different views and let’s be honest our defense in basketball blows, and our offense in football is pukingly sick, with that said, I totally live by the theory…..

Be careful what you wish for….i don’t think people truly think things through very often.

Well, I'm ready to move on as well. Seeing this same movie over and over again has gotten boring - just like it was with Dr Tom's teams.

But, I don't expect a lot more with the next guy. This is pretty much Iowa basketball for the last 50 years.

Dude….are people really that daft. It absolutely is NOT a reach when you are talking fan bases and expectations….its a moving target and it is NEVER enough…..

If Calipari came to Iowa and went to three straight final fours and then the next three years had middling seasons and barely made the tournament….you “types” would wonder if it’s time for a change?!

It’s how you are….quite frankly it is what it is….fans are super irritating. I aim to be just as irritating to “those” fans…

I honestly don’t care if Fran moves on or not. Hopeful we upgrade and if we don’t, it will bother you a hell of a lot more than me….😂
I just have to say, we’re a stone’s throw away from hitting 50 years since our last Final Four appearance. And yet Lute is still revered to this day. A coach making 3 straight Final Fours at Iowa would be given a lifetime contract.

One need look no further than Bucky O’Connor. I doubt anyone was looking to fire him after two middling seasons immediately following two Final Fours. At the age of 44, who knows what more he could have done if he’d lived. We do know Sharm wasn’t ready to take over the team.

I just have to say, we’re a stone’s throw away from hitting 50 years since our last Final Four appearance. And yet Lute is still revered to this day. A coach making 3 straight Final Fours at Iowa would be given a lifetime contract.

One need look no further than Bucky O’Connor. I doubt anyone was looking to fire him after two middling seasons immediately following two Final Fours. At the age of 44, who knows what more he could have done if he’d lived. We do know Sharm wasn’t ready to take over the team.

Meh…..not sure about that. It hasn’t proven to be true most places. Raise the bar, suddenly it’s not enough, so I doubt the veracity of that very much.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been on Gonzaga’s message board, but without knowing anything more than human nature, what do you want to bet there is a 15% faction wondering if it’s time to move on from Mark Few?

And hell he is Gonzaga!

Last edited:
Well, I'm ready to move on as well. Seeing this same movie over and over again has gotten boring - just like it was with Dr Tom's teams.

But, I don't expect a lot more with the next guy. This is pretty much Iowa basketball for the last 50 years.

This….although I’ll augment it a bit. I don’t really care either way. I do hate watching this defense,

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT