May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
Perhaps the deepest front court in the BIG10 and
Nick Baer off the bench.

Jordan Bohannon will get his and will have the ball in his hands at
end of close games.

GO HAWKS :)

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Not impossible but the defense need to make improvements fast. We will not be racking up wins against good teams allowing such easy scoring.

They need to make up for quickness defensively. Iowa’s strength is their length. Fran will never do it, but I’d scrap man and strictly mix zones with this team and go with it.

I don't see it personally. Any team with quick guards who can attack will cause us problems. Yes we have talent and depth at 3-5, but penetration leads to easy buckets and fouls on interior players. Grambling State harassed Bohannon leading to 1-7 shooting; Ellingson, Wagner and Pemsl invisible. Cook had 3 fouls due to our guards not being able to stay in front of anyone. Fran switching to the match up zone combined with Nunge's crunch scoring were huge.

We will see what happens in the Caymans. Historically we get our doors blown off by mediocre teams with athletic guards who can drive and score. I think Fran has done a nice job of closing the talent and depth gaps on the interior, but the guard play is highly suspect. Moss has to get more than 9 shots up, especially when teams are locking Bohannon down. Hopefully last night was a bit of a look-ahead combined with searching for an identity. Last year the offense was perimeter oriented. This year the strength of the team is clearly the interior players.

I can see that many wins, not necessarily because the Hawks are world beaters, but you couldn't make a schedule that's more favorable than the one they're looking at this year.

Unfortunately to get to 25 would mean a deeep NIT run in my opinion.. we would need a lot of breaks and at this point most of it is going against us.. Baer, Connor, etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT