ADVERTISEMENT

I guess Ty Thompson isn't visiting after all?

Wow we were beat out by that Powerhouse Tulane
Better offense show casing him and I’m sure NIL played a part in that. And Iowa’s unwillingness to say he will be the starter in 2024 if he shows he can lead the offense. I’d take him over an unknown injured qb with two bad knees.

Wow we were beat out by that Powerhouse Tulane
Yes, that’s the sad state of our offense. A prospect sees more hope in the Tulane offense than ours. Plus, it makes it so damn easy to recruit against us. Just show the stats. Do you want to be a part of this Iowa shit show?!?!

Reactions: littlez
Bottom line: WRs are dropping passes & not getting separation.

The group is very underwhelming.

I don’t see how Copeland has earned this job for ‘24.
i would add they cannot get off the line of scrimmage without the db knocking them off their route. Think KB can be a very good wr in time as he very young for the position.
We are also playing against loaded boxes so that tells you that they have zero respect for the wr's beating them over the top.

I understand that and fair points. I just don't think he has a chance to excel at his job with the offensive scheme limitations... and offensive limitations as a whole.

I also feel like our wrs have more separation than what meets the eye on TV. There were times that guys were completely open at Kinnick and they weren't looked at. We also are extremely risk adverse and don't seem to let our wrs make a play on a 50-50 ball.

Again, I get your points and understand these feelings. I just think it's hard to assess him when he has zero help.
It’s a big QB and WR problem, oddly made worse because our TEs are so good:

The TEs are over-targeted since they have fewer drops, and tend to be more open than the WRs

This shrinks the field, since TEs don’t run deep routes. It also essentially makes the TE the QBs preferred target many plays, even when a WR is wide open elsewhere. As a result, the QBs lock on the TEs and stop scanning the field for other targets (think Petras here). In person, this is rather glaring. We are leaving TDs on the field by not throwing to wide open WRs at times

Our QBs have lacked confidence for years, making them very risk-averse. Who was our last truly confident QB. CJ? Stanley at times? A scared QB will always make the safe throw to the TE or RB

Lastly, why do our route trees result in our WRs being bunched up so often? Am I the only one to notice this?

Lots to fix here. Lots

The days of statue passers with no mobility are dissapearing from all levels of football except at Iowa. Its either throw the ball or wait to be sacked without the element or threat of the qb running. Big non mobile qb's need recievers to run good clean routes that quickly get open on the route breaks throwing the ball before the defender can recover. Every one of iowa's offensive cordinators would have found more success having a mobile qb who can buy time scrambling or having the added element of running with the ball. Iowa just doesnt coach recievers and quarterback fundamentals and mechanics well at all. As much as it drives me mad about Ferentz inability to adjust iowa also cant ever afford losing Parker as a defensive coach. Without Parker iowa wouldnt have near the success.

The days of statue passers with no mobility are dissapearing from all levels of football except at Iowa. It’s either throw the ball or wait to be sacked without the element or threat of the qb running. Big non mobile qb's need recievers to run good clean routes that quickly get open on the route breaks throwing the ball before the defender can recover. Every one of iowa's offensive cordinators would have found more success having a mobile qb who can buy time scrambling or having the added element of running with the ball. Iowa just doesnt coach recievers and quarterback fundamentals and mechanics well at all. As much as it drives me mad about Ferentz inability to adjust iowa also cant ever afford losing Parker as a defensive coach. Without Parker iowa wouldnt have near the success.
It’s crazy it seems we’re one of the last (if not last) programs to adapt.

“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” applies to Kirk, apparently. But we’ve known this.

Reactions: Good30
I understand that and fair points. I just don't think he has a chance to excel at his job with the offensive scheme limitations... and offensive limitations as a whole.

I also feel like our wrs have more separation than what meets the eye on TV. There were times that guys were completely open at Kinnick and they weren't looked at. We also are extremely risk adverse and don't seem to let our wrs make a play on a 50-50 ball.

Again, I get your points and understand these feelings. I just think it's hard to assess him when he has zero help.
100% this. Can you imagine him trying to convince a WR to come to Iowa? And it’s going to be even harder after this past season. Think how easy it would be to recruit against us at that position. Come catch passes from Deacon! Or “well the guy who’s going to be throwing to you has played in 3-4 games over the last 2 years and has 2 torn ACl’s. But we’re counting on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT