ADVERTISEMENT

I Know Cael Probably Doesn’t Care But…..

Steamboat529529

HR All-American
May 27, 2021
If you were Penn State, wouldn’t you want to start the meet anywhere but 125??? Like you would think Iowa’s only chance of being competitive, is to win some really tight matches starting at 125 and before 174, get Carver into a frenzy, and then see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts?

If you were Penn State, wouldn’t you want to start the meet anywhere but 125??? Like you would think Iowa’s only chance of being competitive, is to win some really tight matches starting at 125 and before 174, get Carver into a frenzy, and then see what happens. Anybody have any thoughts?
Penn State can start this meet at whatever weight they want and nothing but a perfect storm (see Iowa at Michigan meet) will keep this from being a blood bath I’m sad to say.

He doesn't care, he isn't worried about any frenzy and he has always started at 125 vs Iowa.

Penn State can start this meet at whatever weight they want and nothing but a perfect storm (see Iowa at Michigan meet) will keep this from being a blood bath I’m sad to say.
I agree wholeheartedly. I’d just think part of that perfect storm would be getting off to a great start. Changing to any weight but 125 would help stop that. I was just thinking about it.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
I for one prefer random starts for two reasons. I think it helps a little to prevent harsh weight cuts, and I think that it is beneficial for wrestlers at other weights to experience the pressure of the last, or even next to last match of a close dual. I wrestled HWT, it was feast or famine. Either everyone was glued to their seat because the dual came down to the final match, or they were headed out the door as you walked onto the mat.

Sanderson seems to prefer to start at 125.

I agree wholeheartedly. I’d just think part of that perfect storm would be getting off to a great start. Changing to any weight but 125 would help stop that. I was just thinking about it.
Wouldn’t that be something if the world worked that way? But then reality sets in. We’re underdogs in 9/10 matches. #6 Caliendo vs #7 Messenbrink is our only favored weight.

on the other hand, the overall result is not in question, so why not go for the kill right away? if ayala loses the most winnable match of the dual, things could snowball quickly.

on the other hand, the overall result is not in question, so why not go for the kill right away? if ayala loses the most winnable match of the dual, things could snowball quickly.
I’m not getting why folks see Ayala as our best chance of a victory in this duel. And Woods looked too weak to pull a sick woman off a piss pot last week. So there’s that.

I must be missing something because I sure wouldn’t call it the most winnable match.

Reactions: el dub
I’m not getting why folks see Ayala as our best chance of a victory in this duel. And Woods looked too weak to pull a sick woman off a piss pot last week. So there’s that.
I don’t think Ayala is the best chance at victory. It’s just the four matches from 174 to Hwt, PSU are heavy favorites, unless Arnold wrestles.

Reactions: el dub
I don’t think Ayala is the best chance at victory. It’s just the four matches from 174 to Hwt, PSU are heavy favorites, unless Arnold wrestles.
When you have four #1 ranked guys between 157 and 285 you don't worry much about the back half of duals against anyone. If they (Intermat) would have ranked Davis #1, which could have happened, PSU would have had six guys ranked #1 going into this dual. That is a bad matchup for everyone in D1.

Cael should do the right thing and just forfeit the dual to Iowa, or at least publicly drug test Hulkfleet every day leading up to the match.

If Ayala is going to win he better damn well get after it. The Davis match was like watching Lewan wrestle. PSU has this knack for playing dead possum, the Iowa crowd goes nuts calling for stalling and boom they get a TD. If we’re going to compete getting the first TD is at a premium.

PSU probably has visions of a 10-0 shutout. At Carver. That makes me sick, as it's not out of the realm of possibilities .

125 PSU favored
133 PSU heavily favored
141 PSU favored
149 PSU favored
157 PSU favored
165 toss up (#5 vs #6 FLO)
174 PSU heavily favored
184 PSU heavily favored (assuming it's Riggins for IA)
197 PSU heavily favored
285 PSU heavily favored

Iowa has a shot to win 3 matches - Ayala, Woods and Caliendo, but more likely Iowa wins just 1

hate to say it, but a 10-0 shutout could happen, PSU is that loaded - #1 ranked guys at 5 weights plus a #2, and the rest highly ranked as well

If Ayala is going to win he better damn well get after it. The Davis match was like watching Lewan wrestle. PSU has this knack for playing dead possum, the Iowa crowd goes nuts calling for stalling and boom they get a TD. If we’re going to compete getting the first TD is at a premium.
Ayala has been wrestling too nice for lack of a better description. He needs to get a little chip on his shoulder and get after it more.

Everyone has their own opinion but I watched the Davis match three times over and it looked to me that the kid from Ohio State was playing possum until the last 30 seconds of the match. Did the Ohio State wrestler get the shaft? Yes he did.

He doesn't even care about winning duals. He uses them to get ready to dominate BiG's and the NCAA's....

The great Krailure is a lying cheating horses ass! If you heard his "explanation" of the now famous 125 match last week, well that is ALL you need to hear. Didn't want to upset the REFs who he obviously has in his back pocket. A mistake can be made no doubt, but when you get to review it and STILL call it wrong!?!?!?

In any case BEST case for IOWA is we start at 125 and get on a roll!

Win 125 +3
Hold to reg loss at 133 3-3
win 141 6-3
win 149 9-3
win 157 12-3 going into 1/2 and now Krailure is in a PANIC!!!
He bumps StarFish and PK wins!!! 15-3
ARNOLD takes out StarFish 18-3!!!!
Lose at 197 and Heavy but CARVER needs a NEW ROOF!!!!!

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that be something if the world worked that way? But then reality sets in. We’re underdogs in 9/10 matches. #6 Caliendo vs #7 Messenbrink is our only favored weight.
Unless Caliendo has had unprecedented improvement while at Iowa, the wrestler comparison indicates he will be beat handily by Mesenbrink.

Michael Caliendo

#34 Cassella, Brevin03/16/23W DEC 6 - 1
#18 Fish, Caleb03/16/23W DEC 12 - 6
#11 Olguin, Matthew03/16/23W DEC 9 - 8

Mitchell Mesenbrink​

vs common opponents 3 - 0
#10 Fish, Caleb01/21/24W MD 18 - 9
#28 Olguin, Matthew01/05/24W TF5 17 - 2 3:46
#22 Cassella, Brevin11/19/23W TF5 25 - 6 6:55

Reactions: goldenanimal
The great Krailure is a lying cheating horses ass! If you heard his "explanation" of the now famous 125 match last week, well that is ALL you need to hear. Didn't want to upset the REFs who he obviously has in his back pocket. A mistake can be made no doubt, but when you get to review it and STILL call it wrong!?!?!?

In any case BEST case for IOWA is we start at 125 and get on a roll!

Win 125 +3
Hold to reg loss at 133 3-3
win 141 6-3
win 149 9-3
win 157 12-3 going into 1/2 and now Krailure is in a PANIC!!!
He bumps StarFish and PK wins!!! 15-3
ARNOLD takes out StarFish 18-3!!!!
Lose at 197 and Heavy but CARVER needs a NEW ROOF!!!!!
Been hitting the sauce pretty early this morning I see. There's optimism, then there's reality. Heck, we only won three matches vs Mecheatagain. I fear an embarassing bloodbath.

Reactions: PSU_Nut and el dub
125 PSU favored
133 PSU heavily favored
141 PSU favored
149 PSU favored
157 PSU favored
165 toss up (#5 vs #6 FLO)
174 PSU heavily favored
184 PSU heavily favored (assuming it's Riggins for IA)
197 PSU heavily favored
285 PSU heavily favored

Iowa has a shot to win 3 matches - Ayala, Woods and Caliendo, but more likely Iowa wins just 1

hate to say it, but a 10-0 shutout could happen, PSU is that loaded - #1 ranked guys at 5 weights plus a #2, and the rest highly ranked as well
It's definitely possible PSU could go 10 and 0, but it's a home match and there are going to be some really close matches. Bartlett hasn't shown he can beat Woods. Davis at 125 showed he is vulnerable last week. 165 will be interesting for sure but is winnable. Arnold is a wild card. I'm thinking 25-9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobhaywood
Everyone has their own opinion but I watched the Davis match three times over and it looked to me that the kid from Ohio State was playing possum until the last 30 seconds of the match. Did the Ohio State wrestler get the shaft? Yes he did.
I said, you said. Could we both agree the whole match outside of the Davis takedown and the ending was full of inactivity? After the first minute and before the Davis TD, double stalling could have been called. I’d like to see the double stall called more often, it might just encourage more action.
BTW have you caught a fish yet.

Who has a better chance then? Davis is their worst wrestler and Ayala is one of our best.

Who has a better chance then? Davis is their worst wrestler and Ayala is one of our best.
Caliendo is actually ranked one spot above his opponent. Woods is one spot below. Ayala hasn’t shown us he’s capable of beating his guy, imo.

Caliendo is actually ranked one spot above his opponent. Woods is one spot below. Ayala hasn’t shown us he’s capable of beating his guy, imo.
Davis is a mid-ranked recruit, true freshman coming off (what the NCAA is openly admitting should have been) a loss to a kid who wouldn't be close to ranked if he was his team's actual starter.

Bartlett and Mesenbrink are legit title contenders.

Reactions: Exo and IRONBIRD
Truax would be a heavy favorite over Arnold. Let's not get carried away.
The same Truax that just got stuck against a true freshman? And he’d be wrestling a defensive guy in Arnold. Yea, Truax would be favored, but let’s not get carried away.

Reactions: Trapper85
The same Truax that just got stuck against a true freshman? And he’d be wrestling a defensive guy in Arnold. Yea, Truax would be favored, but let’s not get carried away.
Yeah, the 3x top 4 AA Truax is a heavy favorite over the freshman 174 lber. Did you watch the Rogotzke match? He was cruising and got caught in a flukey move. Gabe doesn't have that kind of junk to catch him with.

I said, you said. Could we both agree the whole match outside of the Davis takedown and the ending was full of inactivity? After the first minute and before the Davis TD, double stalling could have been called. I’d like to see the double stall called more often, it might just encourage more action.
BTW have you caught a fish yet.
To answer your first question, I suppose. To answer your second question yes I have. I was told by an old man at the bait house that maybe I should go to confession and have a chat with the priest. **** that suggestion. I just quit whistling and started catching fish.

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
To answer your first question, I suppose. To answer your second question yes I have. I was told by an old man at the bait house that maybe I should go to confession and have a chat with the priest. **** that suggestion. I just quit whistling and started catching fish.
Blasphemy, everybody knows the fish whistle works every time.

Reactions: Lambertt
LOL! After that egg we laid last Friday I don’t think Cael and company are too concerned. We need to show something before anyone fears us.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
If Caliendo wrestles like he did last week he’s going to get his ass kicked. He needs to have confidence in his offense and make it happen. We have a chance at 5 weights if we bring our a-game and have a chance to get shut out if we see last week’s performances. I for one am curious to see if Glazier can give Brooks any trouble. Hope so!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT