ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the coming year

TNTwrestle

HR MVP
Dec 10, 2006
I have lots to say about the season that is suddenly upon us. I try to stay positive in my hopes for the season, but the last 20+ years have made me a realist, not an optimist. In the 50 years I've followed Iowa wrestling pretty closely, we've seldom been the best team in November and fairly often been a much different team come March. Unfortunately, we have underperformed compared to other teams in March for at least the past 20 years. Peaking in March seems to have ended with Gable. Whether that's coaching, injuries, or personalities, I'm not going to speculate.

Yesterday's meet had some encouraging results and some disappointing ones. From what I saw yesterday, I'm not optimistic about next Sunday. I'm sure as the season progresses some of the disappointing things will be addressed, and hopefully fixed. Possible changes second semester (if they pan out) could help some, but I'm still a little cautious about their long-term effect.

This; is what I see as of right now about the outlook;
125 - Ayala has a lot of potential but is currently rusty and he needs mat time. He has to clean up tactical miscues like yesterday's, and he needs to stay healthy, which has been problematic in the past. He also needs to keep the pace high to be successful. He can't let guys hang around and steal matches. I could see him as a high AA or 2-2 at NCAAs, depending on his progression. He needs to stay healthy though, because we're screwed at this weight if he goes down.

133 - Teske is a lot of the same. Needs to stay healthy and he needs to be ready every time he steps on the mat. He has a history of getting taken down first a lot, and he can't do that against the top guys and expect to come back. I wish I could say I thought he could be a high AA, but I think fringe AA is his ceiling based on past years. I hope he proves me wrong.

141 - We should have a champ here, if he keeps his head on straight and his body healthy.

149 - I'm sorry, but watching VV3 is like watching paint dry, and he needs to learn how to beat a whizzer. I had hopes Rathjen would be good, but maybe he never will until he lives the "lifestyle", or maybe never. I'm hoping at this point Ferrari shakes the rust off and is able to take it up a notch. We need a mid-AA at least to be in the hunt for a trophy. I think VV is a fringe AA to rd of 16. I hope Anthony is better than that.

157- I think we're OK with Franek, He should be mid to high AA, and could be a finalist. He keeps good position and generally wrestles smart. We need him healthy too, because, unless PK could go down (which I highly doubt, unlike many on here) we have no back-up, as well as a big question mark for next year.

165 - I think we're good here. I think Caliendo is a mid-AA type and Kennedy could be as well. With this weight class, top 4 is highly unlikely for either, but 4-12 is wide open. Next year the weight will clear out some, so the future is bright. Of course, we don't want to see any, but an injury wouldn't be as devastating here as most weights because we have two strong contenders here.

174 - I wish we had Nelson back, but looking behind won't get us anywhere. I think PK is small for the weight, but he would probably win a match or two at NCAAs. Riggins hasn't showed me anything yet to make me think he could do much at NCAAs, but I haven't seen enough of him to pass judgment. Gabe's sample size is pretty small too. I think he could be an AA. I think he could eventually be a NC, but it's too soon to say. I think he's our best chance at placing high, but I really hate to see him go if he could get better with a RS. Lots of possible choices here, but not sure I like what they are.

184 - I like Swafford's attitude and guts, but until he shows me more than he has in the past, I just don't see us scoring anything here. I don't even know if we have any depth here, and he's had some injury problems in the past as well.

197 - Glazier is gritty, but not really AA potential. Maybe he'll surprize me, but... I haven't heard anything about Franklin, so that is a huge question mark. If AJ comes, and can make the cut, we have a potential finalist, and that's the only way we get a team medal.

285 - Hill seems to work hard, but he's small and not as talented as what we need. From what I've seen so far, he'll be lucky to be .500 in the B1G. Kueter has tons of talent, but is also undersized and two months of wrestling practice doesn't bode well. Mark Sindlinger was as good as anyone in his day, but starting practice in January didn't work out the best for him. B1G conference heavies don't tend to be pushovers, so it's going to be an uphill battle. If there was a 230 division, I'd be more optimistic. If AJ comes, and can't make 197, he might be the best option, although he'll be undersized as well.

I know much of this sounds pessimistic, but until some of these guys show me more than they have, this is what I see.

I live for wrestling season, so I hope we get the most we can out of what we have. We have to start beating F*n St. out of some recruits and portal guys.

GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
TL;DR

My thought after the first two duals is that people need to lower their expectations for a team that lost 2 AAs and a multiple time NCAA qualifier to suspension a few weeks ago. This team will not be generating the type of results we are used to, so get used to it. Relax and enjoy the sport this year. Celebrate the small stuff--much like @SansAgain's wife does.

I get that there is quite a bit of frustration amoung the fan base of Iowa wrestling and I don't totally disagree with it however I would hope people keep a few things in mind.

Gable is not coming back he's been gone for almost 25 years now. No one wrestling today was alive when he coached.

Cael Sanderson is a great coach and probably a better program leader. He has two be in the top three of all time right? In addition to Cael being great he has a huge geographic advantage. I'm not sure if Pennsylvania and New York and New Jersey are as into wrestling as Iowa but all three states are into it and they have so many people that the best wrestlers tend to come from there. Penn State as a university and alumni base is committed to wrestling as well. They have lots of money and they spend it year after year likely legally and illegally on the program. So at Penn state you have the best coach the best geographic advantage and a great support system. I just don't think we are going to top that in Iowa City. I honestly don't know that if Cael and Gable started coaching at the same time at the same schools if Gable would have come out on top.

Iowa has also faced incredible headwinds the last five years or so. Some would call it luck. Some of it is self inflicted but or could have prevented with perfect hindsight but it's happened. 1. Iowa lost what almost certainly would have been a national title in 2020. Obviously it never happend but man was the team rolling. 2. The injury bug hit the team really hard in 2022. Between Spencer, Eierman, Kem, Cass and maybe the bull almost no one was healthy all year. I don't know that they would have won if they would have been perfectly healthy but they would have had a hell of a shot. 3. They have at least four guys that would have a really good shot at all American status this year that are not wrestling for the team or at all. Maybe up to six. Could some of this have been prevented probably but it was not something that I think anyone would have expected and it still stings a lot. I still don't think they would have had a title this year but man it could have been close.

With all that being said there are a lot of really good things going on. 1. A world class training facility is opening up in April. This should really help with recruitment, retention and just general performance. 2. I think we are going to win a lot of woman's titles the next few years. This will be fun to watch and I think will really help the men's program as well. 3. I honestly think that we will have between two and four athletes on national freestyle teams in the next four years of so. This will of course help recruiting and the men's teams. 4. I think we are going to produce at least one MMA star over the next five years which again is going to help the program. 5. We have some awesome athletes either on the horizon. Things could get very interesting in the next few years.

TL;DR

My thought after the first two duals is that people need to lower their expectations for a team that lost 2 AAs and a multiple time NCAA qualifier to suspension a few weeks ago. This team will not be generating the type of results we are used to, so get used to it. Relax and enjoy the sport this year. Celebrate the small stuff--much like @SansAgain's wife does.
You’re kinda asking the cesspool to be ok with mediocrity. Thats just not what Hawk fans do. When our athletes underperform (our expectations) we are going to b*tch about it. I’ll be excited for moments like Gabe’s big debut, but all in all, this season is probably going to suck, and I’m probably going to b*tch about it a fair amount.

You’re kinda asking the cesspool to be ok with mediocrity. Thats just not what Hawk fans do. When our athletes underperform (our expectations) we are going to b*tch about it. I’ll be excited for moments like Gabe’s big debut, but all in all, this season is probably going to suck, and I’m probably going to b*tch about it a fair amount.

You do you. But holding Bradley Hill to the standard of Anthony Cassioppi (for example) is just plain dumb. You're just creating a reason to bitch.

You do you. But holding Bradley Hill to the standard of Anthony Cassioppi (for example) is just plain dumb. You're just creating a reason to bitch.
Well that’s a bit extreme. I’m realistic, this is THE most passionate fan base in the sport, dudes are gonna bitch. Most aren’t going to sit on their hands cause a couple guys got suspended. If Iowa loses the dual to Iowa St, Hawk fans (me included) will lose their collective minds. The fact that the Hawks are short-handed won’t dull the sting of losing for the first time since 2004.

I have lots to say about the season that is suddenly upon us. I try to stay positive in my hopes for the season, but the last 20+ years have made me a realist, not an optimist. In the 50 years I've followed Iowa wrestling pretty closely, we've seldom been the best team in November and fairly often been a much different team come March. Unfortunately, we have underperformed compared to other teams in March for at least the past 20 years. Peaking in March seems to have ended with Gable. Whether that's coaching, injuries, or personalities, I'm not going to speculate.
Yesterday's meet had some encouraging results and some disappointing ones. From what I saw yesterday, I'm not optimistic about next Sunday. I'm sure as the season progresses some of the disappointing things will be addressed, and hopefully fixed. Possible changes second semester (if they pan out) could help some, but I'm still a little cautious about their long-term effect.
This; is what I see as of right now about the outlook;
125 - Ayala has a lot of potential but is currently rusty and he needs mat time. He has to clean up tactical miscues like yesterday's, and he needs to stay healthy, which has been problematic in the past. He also needs to keep the pace high to be successful. He can't let guys hang around and steal matches. I could see him as a high AA or 2-2 at NCAAs, depending on his progression. He needs to stay healthy though, because we're screwed at this weight if he goes down.
133 - Teske is a lot of the same. Needs to stay healthy and he needs to be ready every time he steps on the mat. He has a history of getting taken down first a lot, and he can't do that against the top guys and expect to come back. I wish I could say I thought he could be a high AA, but I think fringe AA is his ceiling based on past years. I hope he proves me wrong.
141 - We should have a champ here, if he keeps his head on straight and his body healthy.
149 - I'm sorry, but watching VV3 is like watching paint dry, and he needs to learn how to beat a whizzer. I had hopes Rathjen would be good, but maybe he never will until he lives the "lifestyle", or maybe never. I'm hoping at this point Ferrari shakes the rust off and is able to take it up a notch. We need a mid-AA at least to be in the hunt for a trophy. I think VV is a fringe AA to rd of 16. I hope Anthony is better than that.
157- I think we're OK with Franek, He should be mid to high AA, and could be a finalist. He keeps good position and generally wrestles smart. We need him healthy too, because, unless PK could go down (which I highly doubt, unlike many on here) we have no back-up, as well as a big question mark for next year.
165 - I think we're good here. I think Caliendo is a mid-AA type and Kennedy could be as well. With this weight class, top 4 is highly unlikely for either, but 4-12 is wide open. Next year the weight will clear out some, so the future is bright. Of course, we don't want to see any, but an injury wouldn't be as devastating here as most weights because we have two strong contenders here.
174 - I wish we had Nelson back, but looking behind won't get us anywhere. I think PK is small for the weight, but he would probably win a match or two at NCAAs. Riggins hasn't showed me anything yet to make me think he could do much at NCAAs, but I haven't seen enough of him to pass judgment. Gabe's sample size is pretty small too. I think he could be an AA. I think he could eventually be a NC, but it's too soon to say. I think he's our best chance at placing high, but I really hate to see him go if he could get better with a RS. Lots of possible choices here, but not sure I like what they are.
184 - I like Swafford's attitude and guts, but until he shows me more than he has in the past, I just don't see us scoring anything here. I don't even know if we have any depth here, and he's had some injury problems in the past as well.
197 - Glazier is gritty, but not really AA potential. Maybe he'll surprize me, but... I haven't heard anything about Franklin, so that is a huge question mark. If AJ comes, and can make the cut, we have a potential finalist, and that's the only way we get a team medal.
285 - Hill seems to work hard, but he's small and not as talented as what we need. From what I've seen so far, he'll be lucky to be .500 in the B1G. Kueter has tons of talent, but is also undersized and two months of wrestling practice doesn't bode well. Mark Sindlinger was as good as anyone in his day, but starting practice in January didn't work out the best for him. B1G conference heavies don't tend to be pushovers, so it's going to be an uphill battle. If there was a 230 division, I'd be more optimistic. If AJ comes, and can't make 197, he might be the best option, although he'll be undersized as well.
I know much of this sounds pessimistic, but until some of these guys show me more than they have, this is what I see.
I live for wrestling season, so I hope we get the most we can out of what we have. We have to start beating F*n St. out of some recruits and portal guys.
GO HAWKS!
The paragraph is your friend.

• Wow
Reactions: derekforhawks
TL;DR

For legal reasons I’m just going to forfeit and hold my tongue. I appreciate that you acknowledged your experience with my package though.

Well that’s a bit extreme. I’m realistic, this is THE most passionate fan base in the sport, dudes are gonna bitch. Most aren’t going to sit on their hands cause a couple guys got suspended. If Iowa loses the dual to Iowa St, Hawk fans (me included) will lose their collective minds. The fact that the Hawks are short-handed won’t dull the sting of losing for the first time since 2004.

Acknowledging that you're a mental midget is something, I guess.

At least I can say I tried. Going to be a fun year. :rolleyes:

For legal reasons I’m just going to forfeit and hold my tongue. I appreciate that you acknowledged your experience with my package though.

Thanks, buddy! I appreciate the courtesy and the quip. Likewise, I will hold off on making a comment about anyone's tongue.

Thanks, buddy! I appreciate the courtesy and the quip. Likewise, I will hold off on making a comment about anyone's tongue.
Don’t hold back on me, I’m fare game. I just won’t comment on my ex. Enough about that, moving on and back to wrestling.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Over the last few years I have become a bit more of a realist, but I always have high expectations. Wrestling and fishing are my two favorite past times and either way I'm pumped whatever the outcome is.
I knew this year was going to be a bit of a transition and I'm excited for our guys and what this season will bring. My enthusiasm will not waver and I will be behind every Hawk on our teams 150%

I don’t think we’re allowed to say “midget” anymore, I think you have to say “little person”. As in “Acknowledging that you're a mental little person………” Not the same bite admittedly, but what are you gonna do?

Reactions: SPOONER
Go all in on woods this year. He is a potential champ obviously. After that it's a huge drop off. I think there is aa potential at 125, 165 and 285. I would be surprised if this team can top 4 but could possibly sneak onto the podium if things go well in March. Losing those guys hurt.

The thing is every year it’s something. Injuries, underperforming, rinse, repeat. Most of us aren’t asking for Gable days but ffs, we should be winning a title every couple years or so. It gets old watching this same movie over and over. We can’t seem to recruit to half the degree Penn State does, and we don’t come close to developing guys like they do.

Now for shits and gigs we get to watch ISU put it to us on ESPN.

I don’t think we’re allowed to say “midget” anymore, I think you have to say “little person”. As in “Acknowledging that you're a mental little person………” Not the same bite admittedly, but what are you gonna do?

Enjoyed, dwarf. ;)

Remember, it's only sports.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
When did you become the grammar police? If you need a space between to recognize a paragraph, that's your problem.

He isn't wrong.

You might have some great points in your post but there's no way I'm reading that. Hard on the eyes.

It's called using the spacebar.

He isn't wrong.

You might have some great points in your post but there's no way I'm reading that. Hard on the eyes.

It's called using the spacebar.
I don't know what you're talking about. There are two (or three if you call the last sentence a paragraph, paragraphs before the weight classes, each weight class has its own paragraph, and there are two to three paragraphs after the weight classes.

If you need a line between each paragraph, I'd hate to see you try to read most books.

I don't get what you mean by spacebar. Oh, maybe the indent at the beginning of the paragraphs. That isn't done much anymore in informal writing either, but I'll go back and fix it for you, so you can read it. The two spaces between sentences died a long time ago. I'll even stick a line between too, so everyone can be happy. It's not like I don't use punctuation or capitalization.

Have a nice day.

EDIT; This format wouldn't let me indent every paragraph. I don't know why, but I edited it, and when I saved it, all the indents went away. Sorry.

Last edited:
Fixed as much as this format would allow. I usually use the enter bar between paragraphs on longer posts, but didn't this time to keep the post as "short" as I could. I knew it would be half a page or more as it was.

Reactions: HawkMachine
Fixed as much as this format would allow. I usually use the enter bar between paragraphs on longer posts, but didn't this time to keep the post as "short" as I could. I knew it would be half a page or more as it was.

applause-respect.gif

Go all in on woods this year. He is a potential champ obviously. After that it's a huge drop off. I think there is aa potential at 125, 165 and 285. I would be surprised if this team can top 4 but could possibly sneak onto the podium if things go well in March. Losing those guys hurt.
You are missing Franek our 157! Some don’t seem to be as excited about him currently, but he is a very smart, meticulous wrestler. He will make a deep run in March.

The thing is every year it’s something. Injuries, underperforming, rinse, repeat. Most of us aren’t asking for Gable days but ffs, we should be winning a title every couple years or so. It gets old watching this same movie over and over. We can’t seem to recruit to half the degree Penn State does, and we don’t come close to developing guys like they do.

Now for shits and gigs we get to watch ISU put it to us on ESPN.
How often is "every couple of years or so". You won in 2021, right? This year might not look so great given all that has transpired, but it's not like the last one was in the Gable era.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
You are missing Franek our 157! Some don’t seem to be as excited about him currently, but he is a very smart, meticulous wrestler. He will make a deep run in March.
I'll buy in more when I see him in action I'm sure. Not totally sold just yet tbh

Reactions: Grip220
How often is "every couple of years or so". You won in 2021, right? This year might not look so great given all that has transpired, but it's not like the last one was in the Gable era.
And we're coming up on 2024, with no real hope in sight. The last one prior to '21?

Reactions: MVPFAN
Listening to the latest FRL, CP said when they took Nelson and Cass out for their team rankings, Iowa went from 2nd to 8th. But we are still only 8 points away from whatever team is 2nd in projected points. Not a lot of separation among the top teams after PSU. And that doesn't include the points Gabe could score if he goes this year, as he's not currently included. (Or Ferrari 1 and 2 for that matter.) I think we're still definitely right there in the team trophy race, including for 2nd. Obviously have to perform to potential in March though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT