ADVERTISEMENT

I remember being criticised because I said White ....

texas twister

HR Heisman
Jan 14, 2005
...........needs to step it up and not disappear during games. Well, obviously he heard me (chuckle, chuckle). Once he stepped it up, the Hawks started winning. I'm looking quite brilliant about now - at least that is what I tell my wife all the time. He is the most talented player and needs to be the force on the court by choice. Keep it going, Hawks and Aaron White.

Originally posted by texas twister:
...........needs to step it up and not disappear during games.  Well, obviously he heard me (chuckle, chuckle).  Once he stepped it up, the Hawks started winning.  I'm looking quite brilliant about now - at least that is what I tell my wife all the time.  He is the most talented player and needs to be the force on the court by choice.  Keep it going, Hawks and Aaron White.
80% of Hawkeye Nation were saying that I assure you that 80% of Hawkeye Nation is not brilliant.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It seems just about all the players haved stepped up their game. Especially White and Clemmons. Hope it continues.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Floyd_Of_Rosedale:
He couldn't have done it without YOU.
That's right. I take all the credit. I am really going to miss watching him play for the Hawks.

...........needs to step it up and not disappear during games. Well, obviously he heard me (chuckle, chuckle). Once he stepped it up, the Hawks started winning. I'm looking quite brilliant about now - at least that is what I tell my wife all the time. He is the most talented player and needs to be the force on the court by choice. Keep it going, Hawks and Aaron White.
You've said a lot of things. (chuckle chuckle)
dead.r191677.gif

pic?

I must disagree with you on one point... I do not believe he is the most talented player on the team. He is the most important for the team to have success, the smartest player on the court, and the leader of the team but Uthoff and Jok have more raw talent than White.

Not a whole lot to say to someone who runs to start a thread puffing his chest out because he noticed what we all noticed. How does that make you look brilliant at all? Did you have a sitdown with Fran and Aaron to diagram your expertise and he listened to you?

Actually it was just me telling other teams to stop trying so hard to beat Iowa....along with Iowa trying harder to win.

And look at what has happened...
smokin.r191677.gif

Re: I remember being criticised because I said White ....

Lots of different guys score this year. Much different from last year in that when we needed a bucket it was marble or bust. More complete this year, which also helps in games where for example uthoff and jok don't score, there's 2-3 guys scoring above their average.

They're playing complete team ball
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:

Not a whole lot to say to someone who runs to start a thread puffing his chest out because he noticed what we all noticed. How does that make you look brilliant at all? Did you have a sitdown with Fran and Aaron to diagram your expertise and he listened to you?
Just felt like smacking around the ignorant posters that disagreed with my evaluation and expressed what they thought of my IQ level. Yeah, a told you so. Many posters felt the same way contrary to the "anointed experts" that have been proven wrong. I hope White stays aggressive. Pulling for him.

I still think it is what I said back then, about his shoulder still bothering him and he didn't have enough confidence to do his normal banging and aggression inside and on the boards. Shoulder probable got better and his game took off again. IMO it had to a lot to do with the stinger, and the healing from that.

Originally posted by northernboarderhawk:

I still think it is what I said back then, about his shoulder still bothering him and he didn't have enough confidence to do his normal banging and aggression inside and on the boards. Shoulder probable got better and his game took off again. IMO it had to a lot to do with the stinger, and the healing from that.
That is certainly a good reason why he took off; however, prior to the stinger, he wasn't dominating like he has for about 6 games now. I made the comment prior to the stinger. DanL53 was one that criticized me over it. I made a comparison how the star of the team needs to step up and not allow opponents to dictate to him - using greats like Jordan as an example. I think White made the mental adjustment realizing what he needed to do. He as been my favorite Hawk for all 4 years now.

This post was edited on 3/11 10:57 AM by texas twister

Oh ya remember when I said that Matt Foley was an idiot and 80% of you on this board said no way.

Well how about now? You're welcome!

Originally posted by northernboarderhawk:

That is certainly a good reason why he took off; however, prior to the stinger, he wasn't dominating like he has for about 6 games now. I made the comment prior to the stinger. DanL was one that criticized me over it. I made a comparison how the star of the team needs to step up and not allow opponents to dictate to him - using greats like Jordan as an example. I think White made the mental adjustment realizing what he needed to do. He as been my favorite Hawk for all 4 years now.
Like I said already. You've said a lot of things. (Haha, chuckle, chuckle.) But, you've got to live with yourself so say what you think you have to say to feel good. See if it works.
ohwell.r191677.gif

The shoulder had nothing to do with it. Up until the last 6 games, Aaron has had a tendency to disappear for long periods of time during games. A couple months ago there was a thread saying we should put him on a milk carton.

My brother and I talk a lot during games and we were talking about this 2 years ago, last year and again the early part of this year. The kid was often great but would absolutely disappear for 8 to 10 minutes at a time during games. Never understood it, still don't. Box score said he was in the game and playing during those times but nobody could see him. And I have to admit I don't understand what was going on the past 6 games where he was THERE all the time and the rest of the team was THERE all the time. Seems like some kind of understanding was reached after the NW loss. I don't know what it was, but those trademark long non-scoring bouts ceased. And not just White, but everybody was going all out, all the time. I like it and hope they can keep it going for a few more games.

I too should come forward, I was very critical of White. To the extent that I was wrong I couldn't be happier.

But when an announcer referred to the nowhere-to-be-found White as "Iowa's star" I had to vent. In the same post I complained about his one-dimensional, drive and attempt to draw a foul, offense.

So, last week I marveled right along with Dakich as he noted how AW had scored in 3 different ways in 3 consecutive plays. Almost unbelievable, even though we had seen glimpses of such for 3+ years.

What a great end he is writing to his Hawkeye career. Go Aaron.

Just a thought. After learning about him becoming a father, his mind might have been a little cloudy and on other things beside basketball. Seems logical that his play slipped for awhile because of a life changing event.

Anyway, just a thought...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT