ADVERTISEMENT

I think Fran walks away after this year

I used to love Iowa BB, but I've grown apathetic. Losses don't affect me anymore....I just quit caring.

I hate feeling this way, but I can't help it.
The fact we cannot recruit more athletic players is frustrating. I feel like Fran’s style of play could be dangerous, with better recruiting. The press could generate points. Could be exciting.

I hope he does. I'm actually ready for change with the big 3 sports. I have Ferentz fatigue, Fran lost me when he prioritized his boys over better players and Brands keeps falling farther behind PSU and has seemingly sold his soul over the Ferraris.

With the new AD I'm ready to see what she can do.

He’s done a good job but with the rapidly declining attendance, the fact he’s passed Dr Tom, and just the overall trajectory of the program I think he calls it quits. He also has to know the new AD won’t hesitate to make a move sooner rather than later.
I Hope Please GIF

He’s done a good job but with the rapidly declining attendance, the fact he’s passed Dr Tom, and just the overall trajectory of the program I think he calls it quits. He also has to know the new AD won’t hesitate to make a move sooner rather than later.
Walks away? I hope he runs away frankly. Sorry but the guy can’t coach situational basketball. Terrible and ugly bball

Don't get your hopes up. He's not retiring and he has 0 off-ramp options. Seat also isn't even luke-warm at the moment. If next year is just as bad, then maybe.
I’m not so sure about that behind the scenes. There’s nothing worse for a program than total fan apathy. We can say we sold 9-10K tickets last night but there were maybe 5-6 thousand fans there. Finish 7-13 and play the rest of the season in an arena 35% full there’s some financial decisions to be made. If we were playing to 45-50K at Kinnick every Saturday something would happen. We have no impact players on the court and none in the pipeline. We’re in some trouble here.

I don't think Fran will be let go. He does look like something has been bothering him all year long, countenance wise. So I wonder if he is trying to decide on his own if he is done. If not, he will need to make some changes in terms of how he is going to operate the program going forward.

I’m not so sure about that behind the scenes. There’s nothing worse for a program than total fan apathy. We can say we sold 9-10K tickets last night but there were maybe 5-6 thousand fans there. Finish 7-13 and play the rest of the season in an arena 35% full there’s some financial decisions to be made. If we were playing to 45-50K at Kinnick every Saturday something would happen. We have no impact players on the court and none in the pipeline. We’re in some trouble here.
I'm not saying that his seat wouldn't begin to get warmer heading into next season. But it's just not going to happen this offseason. But I'd agree, if the crowd sizes continue like this into next season, then I think there would be real pressure for Fran to get them into the tournament at a minimum. But let's be honest, the crowd numbers are going to be impacted by team success--look at last year as a great example. All non-conference season and early into the Big Ten play, Iowa had very similar crowds as tonight. Then Iowa goes on a bit of a run and starts winning and the final 3 weekend home games were sellouts. Hell, I was at the game on Saturday--Carver was probably 95% full and people were into the game. I would imagine a large part of that was due to Iowa's 3 game win streak going into that game + it being a ranked opponent. So yeah, there's probably a lot of pressure on Fran this offseason for this to be a tournament caliber team--I like the core of Freeman, Dix and Payton (as a secondary option, not a primary). But there is work to do in both the development side of things + in the portal this offseason.

Reactions: ichawk24
He is a senior this year. Sorry, not a senior, junior. There is a lot of talk about him going to a prep school next year. That is why I was thinking he is a senior.

If Jack is Junior but going to Prep school for a year, then that is still 2 years until he is in college and ready to play for his Father at some mid major.

The fact we cannot recruit more athletic players is frustrating. I feel like Fran’s style of play could be dangerous, with better recruiting. The press could generate points. Could be exciting.
Yes, it's frustrating. What's even more frustrating is that it seems like ISU *CAN* recruit more athletic players. Right smack in the middle of Iowa. Same in-state recruiting grounds/disadvantages.

What the hell does ISU have that Iowa doesn't? Rhetorical question.

It’s going to be strange watching iowa sports next year and not having to deal with any nepotism issues. Probably going to be pretty refreshing.
Are we done watching the women as well? Bluder's daughter is on the staff, and I think her son David has some role as well. Just asking for a friend......

I'm not saying that his seat wouldn't begin to get warmer heading into next season. But it's just not going to happen this offseason. But I'd agree, if the crowd sizes continue like this into next season, then I think there would be real pressure for Fran to get them into the tournament at a minimum. But let's be honest, the crowd numbers are going to be impacted by team success--look at last year as a great example. All non-conference season and early into the Big Ten play, Iowa had very similar crowds as tonight. Then Iowa goes on a bit of a run and starts winning and the final 3 weekend home games were sellouts. Hell, I was at the game on Saturday--Carver was probably 95% full and people were into the game. I would imagine a large part of that was due to Iowa's 3 game win streak going into that game + it being a ranked opponent. So yeah, there's probably a lot of pressure on Fran this offseason for this to be a tournament caliber team--I like the core of Freeman, Dix and Payton (as a secondary option, not a primary). But there is work to do in both the development side of things + in the portal this offseason.
The problem is the only guys Frans getting from the portal are mid major guys. FR turned out decent. Like most the guys Fran recruits, Krikke can score, but can't hardly play a lick of defense. Brauns is a situational 4 minutes a game guy. Just like high school recruiting for next season, NO guards. NO one who can run the offense and D up someone man to man.

I fully believe he is done.

I used to love Iowa BB, but I've grown apathetic. Losses don't affect me anymore....I just quit caring.

I hate feeling this way, but I can't help it.

It's called being an adult. College kids playing basketball should not be something that affects your life.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I totally get it. No judgements because I'm the same way. I used to try so hard to convince my brother and dad to watch Iowa basketball as recently as two or three years ago. I would sell Iowa basketball any chance I got. I think the Oregon loss followed by the Richmond loss really cemented it. Barely watched since then.
This. 100%. Those teams not making the Sweet Sixteen was the last straw being gut punched by that program. It’s cursed.

Iowa is a school that can win. Not just win, but get to the sweet 16 and beyond. Fran doesn't get that. I remember him at an I-Club meeting talking about Big Ten Championships (plural) and a National Championship.

Well, those were the expectations he put out there. He hasn't come close. Walk away my friend, Fran.

I won't even go into the anger problems with him and his wife. Lets just say I'm happy the police have never been called out. Kudos to Fran there

Iowa will never go deep in March till it learns and stresses defense, period.
Iowa has never gone deep in March (we will use Sweet 16 as the reference point) under Fran McCaffrey.

The winningest coach in Iowa Men's Basketball history, and he's never coached a game in the Sweet 16.

That's pretty telling.

• Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Don't get your hopes up. He's not retiring and he has 0 off-ramp options. Seat also isn't even luke-warm at the moment. If next year is just as bad, then maybe.
If Barta was still the AD, I would agree.

But Beth seems proactive and her job isn’t necessarily about the programs winning games , as much as it is ensuring the programs are healthy, increasing revenue and building interest. The basketball program is healthy within the basketball community, but I don’t believe revenue is increasing and fan interest is waning at best. Also new AD’s like to get their own hires on board, sometimes sooner rather than later.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Are we done watching the women as well? Bluder's daughter is on the staff, and I think her son David has some role as well. Just asking for a friend......
Has she been in charge of the worst offense in college football for three seasons?!? Has she caused us to continually fall on our faces in the postseason by not playing our best players?!?

It's called being an adult. College kids playing basketball should not be something that affects your life.
I never said it affected my life. It didn't. You are projecting. By affect I was referring to getting into games emotionally (like most fans do). Being excited and happy with wins, and disappointed in losses. I experience neither for the basketball team anymore.

Sports has never controlled my life.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
I think the Oregon loss followed by the Richmond loss really cemented it.
100%.

The first year: "2 seed! Alright! Iowa should be the heavy favorite those first 2 rounds! Time for a good tournament run!" Blown out in the 2nd round.

The next year: The way Keegan and that team were playing heading into the dance, blowing through the Big 10 Tournament the way they did, 4 wins in 4 days, and looking good doing it. For me, that was the most exciting and potent Iowa team since the late 80s with BJ, Roy and Ed. We had that superstar that could carry us. Many folks were saying Iowa was under-seeded as a 5. Then they lay an egg in the first round.

I've been done with Fran since this all happened. I'm ready for change.

Last edited:
If Barta was still the AD, I would agree.

But Beth seems proactive and her job isn’t necessarily about the programs winning games , as much as it is ensuring the programs are healthy, increasing revenue and building interest. The basketball program is healthy within the basketball community, but I don’t believe revenue is increasing and fan interest is waning at best. Also new AD’s like to get their own hires on board, sometimes sooner rather than later.
You're not wrong in any of these thoughts, but again, I think we're a year away at least from this conversation having any merit to it. Iowa was 24th in men's basketball attendance just last year--while I recognize that butts in seats is not how they count attendance, that is not what the university wants to measure. Just last year the final 3 home weekend games were sold out; what was the catalyst for those games selling out? Iowa was winning and going on a run.

I get why people disagree with me here, but I would put the chances of Fran getting fired for purely basketball/attendance/performance reasons this season at 0%. It's not happening.

Reactions: ichawk24
I never said it affected my life. It didn't. You are projecting. By affect I was referring to getting into games emotionally (like most fans do). Being excited and happy with wins, and disappointed in losses. I experience neither for the basketball team anymore.

Sports has never controlled my life.

It sounds like it does otherwise you wouldn't be lashing out on a message board.

Yes, it's frustrating. What's even more frustrating is that it seems like ISU *CAN* recruit more athletic players. Right smack in the middle of Iowa. Same in-state recruiting grounds/disadvantages.

What the hell does ISU have that Iowa doesn't? Rhetorical question.

A billionaire supporting the isu nil?

Reactions: warriors dad
Goetz already came in as interim and immediately fired BF. I don't think she is going to make firing Fran her first big move as the permanent AD.

He will be on the hot seat going into next year, ticket sales will be slow, and I don't see how they make the tourney and have a good run. If he doesn't make the tourney next year, he is for sure done. So I can see him being fired in late March 2025.

His timeline might have accelerated with Jack going elsewhere, but I’d hold off on firing him until after next season. He has what could be a special core class of freshmen to work with. If they don’t improve and develop after next season I’d support moving on.
Iowa is not a reload program. Losing Luka, Keegan, and Kris in consecutive seasons isn’t something Iowa can reload from.

It sounds like it does otherwise you wouldn't be lashing out on a message board.
No, it doesn't. You are projecting.

You don't know me. You have never met me or been around me either during or after a game, so you HAVE NO CLUE as to what affect it has on my daily life. I think I know more about it than you do.

But....you keep living in your fantasy world pretending like you "know" me.

One thought for this being his last year is PM transferring (and JM following) to be a graduate transfer when/if finds a new coaching job. PM has stated already he is done after this year at Iowa. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT