ADVERTISEMENT

I think Fran walks away after this year

giphy.gif

I used to love Iowa BB, but I've grown apathetic. Losses don't affect me anymore....I just quit caring.

I hate feeling this way, but I can't help it.
I totally get it. No judgements because I'm the same way. I used to try so hard to convince my brother and dad to watch Iowa basketball as recently as two or three years ago. I would sell Iowa basketball any chance I got. I think the Oregon loss followed by the Richmond loss really cemented it. Barely watched since then.

Yes, the same. I've nothing against him but I was watching the game until half, we were winning, and I still turned it off and didn't finish the game. I'm just kinda over it.
I feel ya. I've been watching most of the games lately but home game against a mediocre team tonight... I just didn't really feel like watching. Glad I didn't and just checked the score.

I won't be sad if Fran moves on, TBH.

I was just going to say this. If he doesn't step away after this year then Beth needs to make changes.

Yep. And don't give me the "oh, players will leave, if he goes".

Find the right guy and some will stay and theres the portal that coaches can QUICKLY get the guys they need to do what they ask.

I like the young guys, but Freeman is the only one that would REALLY suck to lose

Don't get your hopes up. He's not retiring and he has 0 off-ramp options. Seat also isn't even luke-warm at the moment. If next year is just as bad, then maybe.

Reactions: ichawk24
Yep. And don't give me the "oh, players will leave, if he goes".

Find the right guy and some will stay and theres the portal that coaches can QUICKLY get the guys they need to do what they ask.

I like the young guys, but Freeman is the only one that would REALLY suck to lose
With the portal, NIL you can essentially upgrade right away. Hire DeVries, if his son transfers then try to get a decent PG and post. You'll be set up for success immediately.

With the portal, NIL you can essentially upgrade right away. Hire DeVries, if his son transfers then try to get a decent PG and post. You'll be set up for success immediately.
According to a lot of people, there isn't a lot of NIL for basketball. It is going to football.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
Don't get your hopes up. He's not retiring and he has 0 off-ramp options. Seat also isn't even luke-warm at the moment. If next year is just as bad, then maybe.
I don't expect the new AD to wait much longer. Mens attendence is way down. A new hire would inject some excitement back into the program. She's also planning upgrades to Carver and sounds like they will finally move students close to the action.

Patrick is clearly over it.

Fran’s tenure at Iowa is coming to a close.
I am thinking that with Jonathan McCaffery announcing he will not come to Iowa already, there may have been a 'family' discussion at the dinner table. It's definitely time for a change, Fran just doesn't seem to recruit athletic players (by in large) for whatever reason - Payton Sandfort seems to be the poster boy of his ideal basketball player.

Fran couldn't find a impact player from the portal if his life depended on it. Krikke and Brauns, both have major issues and can't play defense. Having only 11 players on the roster is on Fran.
Point guards and actual centers win championships. Fran insists on recruiting 6-8, 6-9 forward and under sized centers and the results have resulted in the fan base turning against him as they fail to advance past the 1st week of the NCAA tournament.
This year is already a throw away year, but Fran will continue to play our ole' defensive veteran players the rest of the year like he always does.

Fran isn't going anywhere on his own. Not much market for a 65 yo coach with nothing significant to show for NCAA tourney performance over 25+ years as a HC.
Thank the incompetent prior AD for locking them into him with repeated unnecessarily lengthy extensions.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Jack has said he will not go to Iowa and there has been talk of Fran possibly following Jack wherever he goes to play. How much does the accident factor into this, especially if there is a lawsuit. Might need to continue if there is a lawsuit.

This topic has been discussed now for multiple years, and I agree that it's time for a change. Barta is gone and there is a new AD with a fresh set of eyes, and hopefully this will institute the change that fans have been calling for.

I don't expect the new AD to wait much longer. Mens attendence is way down. A new hire would inject some excitement back into the program. She's also planning upgrades to Carver and sounds like they will finally move students close to the action.
Like I said, don't get your hopes up. They aren't going to fire him this year. And I'd put the percentage that he retires at less than 10%.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Jack has said he will not go to Iowa and there has been talk of Fran possibly following Jack wherever he goes to play. How much does the accident factor into this, especially if there is a lawsuit. Might need to continue if there is a lawsuit.

I thought Jack is in his Sophomore year in HS. So Fran has 2 more years at Iowa...he is not going to walk away from guaranteed money and the jobs that are available to him are mid major that would be big paycut.

If Iowa were to retain Perkins for another year, Iowa has prety good returning cast for next year. No matter how good they are on offense, they are always going to be DOA in NCAA tourney because teams expose players like a Krikke or Pmac or Payton Sandfort. Iowa is short on guard talent. Harding and Bowen don't appear to have shooting ability.

He’s done a good job but with the rapidly declining attendance, the fact he’s passed Dr Tom, and just the overall trajectory of the program I think he calls it quits. He also has to know the new AD won’t hesitate to make a move sooner rather than later.
I figured before the season started that he was walking after this year.

He’s earned the right to walk away after this season but if he refuses to leave gracefully, he absolutely has to be fired.

Can’t stand watching his soft teams. And Patrick is a real struggle for me to watch play.

Good kid. Can’t stand watching his game.

Reactions: the24fan
I thought Jack is in his Sophomore year in HS. So Fran has 2 more years at Iowa...he is not going to walk away from guaranteed money and the jobs that are available to him are mid major that would be big paycut.

If Iowa were to retain Perkins for another year, Iowa has prety good returning cast for next year. No matter how good they are on offense, they are always going to be DOA in NCAA tourney because teams expose players like a Krikke or Pmac or Payton Sandfort. Iowa is short on guard talent. Harding and Bowen don't appear to have shooting ability.
He is a senior this year. Sorry, not a senior, junior. There is a lot of talk about him going to a prep school next year. That is why I was thinking he is a senior.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT