ADVERTISEMENT

I think this article explains a lot

JerseyCityHawki

HB All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
But let’s practice what you preach… in this article it shows that both BF & KF understand they need to get the ball to the hot hands in Bruce and Johnson, now if they implement it more is another story but Iowa has the talent to do some great things on offense but the hogs up front is the first step to making things happen. Some good points and some obvious points in here but thought it was a good read - this year is wide open and definitely is Iowa’s for the taking but they MUST take that next step like it states in this article… Go Hawks!

Championship football in the modern era requires a capable offense. It's a sad, yet painful truth for Iowa fans, who have enjoyed watching their Hawkeyes run to a 6-1 record and a No. 11 ranking through seven games.

Through six games, the Hawkeyes' offense had its question marks, but the team was ultimately winning, which is what matters when the clock hits all zeroes. During Iowa's 24-7 loss to Purdue, nothing was working besides the return game. When the defense and special teams weren't performing up to its crazy-high standards, the offensive woes became more apparent for a fan base that was desperately waiting to see a spark.

With 1:57 remaining in the third quarter, Purdue's TJ Sheffield fumbled the ball out of bounds and the play resulted in a touchback. Instead of 24-7-- it was 17-7 and the Hawkeyes had an opportunity to get back in the game. It took all of 29 seconds, two sacks and an incomplete pass later before Iowa was forced to punt the ball away. At that point, the game was over.

Iowa ran seven plays in the third quarter and gained six yards.

“I thought our third quarter was really disappointing,” Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz said. “If you compete long enough, you’re going to take a couple of those on the chin. The key is what you take from it. Are you going to learn from it? Are you going to grow? I think that’s what we’re going to do as a football team.”

The Hawkeyes are near the bottom in every offensive statistical category, but Iowa has talented to work with. Quarterback Spencer Petras has shown he can deliver the ball downfield when protected in the pocket, Tyler Goodson is among the best running backs in the country and there's are some talented young options at wide receiver including Arland Bruce IV and Keagan Johnson. Can't forget about tight end Sam LaPorta, who leads the team in catches (28) and yards (332).

“I think we have to protect him better,” Ferentz said. “I think we have to get more open for him. I think we have to do some of those things. And here’s the reality — if there are makeable throws, and we don’t make them, that’s his responsibility. So we need to fix that part of it."

After last Saturday's performance, Iowa has made it a point of emphasis not to let the loss fester. Still-- as Brian Ferentz puts it-- "you get real philosophical,” Ferentz said. “When you get your ass kicked."

“The hardest part as a playcaller is the first place you need to look is in the mirror."

Iowa is ranked near the bottom in the Big Ten in third-down efficiency, No. 118 nationally in total offense and are only hovering around a 58.1 percent completion percentage with a mere 6.5 yards per attempt.

When pressed on what the Hawkeyes will change this week-- Ferentz didn't give any hints about what tricks might be up his sleeve.

“You’re not reinventing the wheel. You’re just tweaking some things here or thinking about moving some people or whatever it is.”

The Hawkeyes have a true chance ahead of them. All five games are against Big Ten West foes and the path to Indianapolis is theirs for the taking. Give Keagan Johnson to a bigger role, swap around the offensive line, run the wildcat, move Tyrone Tracy into the slot-- there are plenty of intriguing options that Iowa can use.

Goodson getting 12 carries against Purdue is not how Iowa will win football games. Johnson having nearly 200 yards on seven total targets proves that he's one of the team's biggest receiving threats. After a 38-yard reception on Iowa's first offensive play-- Johnson only played 15 more snaps. With his production in an offense that has lacked explosive plays-- it's hard to argue why he shouldn't be on the field. Ferentz did acknowledge that on Wednesday.

"He didn’t have a catch until the Colorado State game. I can’t say I remember the last guy whose first touch in college football was a 54-yard touchdown. That was good, and his numbers are pretty impressive per catch. We need to get him more now. We need to find ways to get him the football more because he is a guy we think about that X position, and we want a guy that can win in single coverage situations.”

When looking at the tape-- the Hawkeyes' offense is close. There's talent to work with. While in-game reps are the most valuable way to get better, Iowa must get better on offense quickly. In the weakest Big Ten West division in conference history-- Iowa is clearly the best team of the bunch.

Iowa's style of play of stellar special teams and defense will always lead them to fun exciting football that Hawkeye fans will embrace-- Iowa's ceiling will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

Iowa has the coaching personnel, talent and opportunity to make the needed changes to play Big Ten Championship level football this year. The Hawkeyes old-fashioned foundation needs to undergo some modern remodeling. If not, December 4 in Indianapolis will lack black and gold.

Good teams get close. Great teams win by adapting. The ball is in Iowa's court.”

But let’s practice what you preach… in this article it shows that both BF & KF understand they need to get the ball to the hot hands in Bruce and Johnson, now if they implement it more is another story but Iowa has the talent to do some great things on offense but the hogs up front is the first step to making things happen. Some good points and some obvious points in here but thought it was a good read - this year is wide open and definitely is Iowa’s for the taking but they MUST take that next step like it states in this article… Go Hawks!

Championship football in the modern era requires a capable offense. It's a sad, yet painful truth for Iowa fans, who have enjoyed watching their Hawkeyes run to a 6-1 record and a No. 11 ranking through seven games.

Through six games, the Hawkeyes' offense had its question marks, but the team was ultimately winning, which is what matters when the clock hits all zeroes. During Iowa's 24-7 loss to Purdue, nothing was working besides the return game. When the defense and special teams weren't performing up to its crazy-high standards, the offensive woes became more apparent for a fan base that was desperately waiting to see a spark.

With 1:57 remaining in the third quarter, Purdue's TJ Sheffield fumbled the ball out of bounds and the play resulted in a touchback. Instead of 24-7-- it was 17-7 and the Hawkeyes had an opportunity to get back in the game. It took all of 29 seconds, two sacks and an incomplete pass later before Iowa was forced to punt the ball away. At that point, the game was over.

Iowa ran seven plays in the third quarter and gained six yards.

“I thought our third quarter was really disappointing,” Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz said. “If you compete long enough, you’re going to take a couple of those on the chin. The key is what you take from it. Are you going to learn from it? Are you going to grow? I think that’s what we’re going to do as a football team.”

The Hawkeyes are near the bottom in every offensive statistical category, but Iowa has talented to work with. Quarterback Spencer Petras has shown he can deliver the ball downfield when protected in the pocket, Tyler Goodson is among the best running backs in the country and there's are some talented young options at wide receiver including Arland Bruce IV and Keagan Johnson. Can't forget about tight end Sam LaPorta, who leads the team in catches (28) and yards (332).

“I think we have to protect him better,” Ferentz said. “I think we have to get more open for him. I think we have to do some of those things. And here’s the reality — if there are makeable throws, and we don’t make them, that’s his responsibility. So we need to fix that part of it."

After last Saturday's performance, Iowa has made it a point of emphasis not to let the loss fester. Still-- as Brian Ferentz puts it-- "you get real philosophical,” Ferentz said. “When you get your ass kicked."

“The hardest part as a playcaller is the first place you need to look is in the mirror."

Iowa is ranked near the bottom in the Big Ten in third-down efficiency, No. 118 nationally in total offense and are only hovering around a 58.1 percent completion percentage with a mere 6.5 yards per attempt.

When pressed on what the Hawkeyes will change this week-- Ferentz didn't give any hints about what tricks might be up his sleeve.

“You’re not reinventing the wheel. You’re just tweaking some things here or thinking about moving some people or whatever it is.”

The Hawkeyes have a true chance ahead of them. All five games are against Big Ten West foes and the path to Indianapolis is theirs for the taking. Give Keagan Johnson to a bigger role, swap around the offensive line, run the wildcat, move Tyrone Tracy into the slot-- there are plenty of intriguing options that Iowa can use.

Goodson getting 12 carries against Purdue is not how Iowa will win football games. Johnson having nearly 200 yards on seven total targets proves that he's one of the team's biggest receiving threats. After a 38-yard reception on Iowa's first offensive play-- Johnson only played 15 more snaps. With his production in an offense that has lacked explosive plays-- it's hard to argue why he shouldn't be on the field. Ferentz did acknowledge that on Wednesday.

"He didn’t have a catch until the Colorado State game. I can’t say I remember the last guy whose first touch in college football was a 54-yard touchdown. That was good, and his numbers are pretty impressive per catch. We need to get him more now. We need to find ways to get him the football more because he is a guy we think about that X position, and we want a guy that can win in single coverage situations.”

When looking at the tape-- the Hawkeyes' offense is close. There's talent to work with. While in-game reps are the most valuable way to get better, Iowa must get better on offense quickly. In the weakest Big Ten West division in conference history-- Iowa is clearly the best team of the bunch.

Iowa's style of play of stellar special teams and defense will always lead them to fun exciting football that Hawkeye fans will embrace-- Iowa's ceiling will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

Iowa has the coaching personnel, talent and opportunity to make the needed changes to play Big Ten Championship level football this year. The Hawkeyes old-fashioned foundation needs to undergo some modern remodeling. If not, December 4 in Indianapolis will lack black and gold.

Good teams get close. Great teams win by adapting. The ball is in Iowa's court.”
It appears the coaching staff has more confidence in Padilla and wants him to know it since they are letting him air it out much more. He played a great game yesterday considering how many drops his receivers had. He did throw 2 that should've clearly been intercepted and those 2 passes were 100% his error. Padilla's strengths match up better with KF/BF's offensive philosophy as he's more athletic and can throw on the run exponentially better than Petras who is like a statue in the pocket. I'd love to get so far ahead in an upcoming game that we get to see a sample of what Duece can do. I also think there was, once again, sketchy play calling like the 2 QB sneaks in the end of the game when Goodson would've been the obvious option. Goodson should be getting 20-30 touches a game between runs and designed plays such as screens and mid range passes. We don't have anyone that move in space like TGood. It will be interested to see who puts their name in the portal. I have a feeling 1-2 QB, 2 WR, Miamen is already in at TE. Goodson isn't helping his draft stock so not sure what he will do. I get the sense he's confident in himself so I wouldn't be surprised to see him declare for the draft.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT