ADVERTISEMENT

BIG baseball tourney: Iowa screwed again . . . It was NOT interference (And it was NOT a fair catch)

Beattheohiostate

HR All-State
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
Wow. What is it about Iowa. Football, basketball, baseball, Iowa grads in the WNBA . . .

Today, it was the Big Ten Tourney. Iowa trails Illinois 4-2 in the bottom of the tenth, but the Hawkeyes have the bases loaded and nobody out. A ground ball is fielded and thrown to second for the force with the relay to first way late while the runner from third scores to make it 4-3, one out, and runners on first and third.

But NO. Wait. The umpire called interference at second base even though, as the TV guys said, the play was routine in every possible way. The slide was straight into the bag, and the Hawkeye runner made no contact of any kind with anybody. But not to worry because the obviously wrong call will be overturned on review . . .

But NO. The crazy, ridiculous, horrible call was CONFIRMED! After Head Coach Rick Heller argues and is thrown out, of course, the next Iowa batter strikes out. Game over.

Iowa gave the game away to Michigan yesterday, and today they were outright robbed by an inexplicable call, even after review, that can only be compared to the TD that was taken away from Iowa and Cooper DeJean against Minnesota that cost Iowa the game. It was NOT a fair catch, and it was NOT interference.

Beth Goetz had better raise hell about what happened today because it was plain incompetence or bias or both. The evidence is clear.

I'm starting to think the BIG has it out for Iowa in any sport! I guess we don't have large enough audience for them to attract a big enough audience for them and their big network contracts.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Sad part is refs never EVER get held accountable for the BS they do at work....if they were ever actually held accountable maybe they would get better but since their bosses let them get away with pure cheating at time why would they ever actually try to get something correct....

On a side note:

Here was the bracket to start the day. Iowa would have had to win 5 games in a row to win the B1G Tournament. But the horse shit call, of course, helped to end their season.

The 5 games in a row they were hoping to win:

10 am today vs Illinois

Tomorrow, 7 pm vs Loser of Michigan/Penn State

Sat, 1 pm vs Winner of Tonight's Michigan/Penn St game

Sat, 9 pm vs Winner of Tonight's Michigan/Penn St game (have to beat them twice)

Sun, 2 pm vs Winner of Upper Bracket (ONE GAME for the Championship)

Iowa lived on the edge in football. What was a 10-3 season could have been 12-2. If everything went bad could have been 3-10 given how the ball bounces. Having coached if I have a less talented team and it's a close game, a lot of breaks have to go my way to get the win. MN was the less talented FB team (maybe not by much and had the big break go its way. Iowa needed a break and didn't get it.

If Iowa had been up 10 points like they should have been we wouldn't really remember it. No doubt IL has the better BB team this year. If Iowa was in a position to afford a loss or was the better team and up 3 runs, no way it the interference given another thought. Iowa is lacking some pitching and with that needs breaks or no bad things happen.

Advancing deep in the tourney and getting to the NCAA was lost against Michigan, not a bad call. And it wasn't the worst call ever. As the play developed it looked like maybe INT. As it ended, it didn't look like it.

Iowa lived on the edge in football. What was a 10-3 season could have been 12-2. If everything went bad could have been 3-10 given how the ball bounces. Having coached if I have a less talented team and it's a close game, a lot of breaks have to go my way to get the win. MN was the less talented FB team (maybe not by much and had the big break go its way. Iowa needed a break and didn't get it.

If Iowa had been up 10 points like they should have been we wouldn't really remember it. No doubt IL has the better BB team this year. If Iowa was in a position to afford a loss or was the better team and up 3 runs, no way it the interference given another thought. Iowa is lacking some pitching and with that needs breaks or no bad things happen.

Advancing deep in the tourney and getting to the NCAA was lost against Michigan, not a bad call. And it wasn't the worst call ever. As the play developed it looked like maybe INT. As it ended, it didn't look like it.

But there's clear proof that this call was 100% WRONG. Sliding into 2nd and making zero contact with the fielder. I don't know why the B1G would fix this game and I don't think they did....

But it's unbelievable incompetence... How does this happen with replay?

But there's clear proof that this call was 100% WRONG. Sliding into 2nd and making zero contact with the fielder. I don't know why the B1G would fix this game and I don't think they did....

It was wrong.

Here's the play:

Here's where Rick Heller loses it when the BS call is confirmed:

My bet is that they will announce the ruling was that the judgement was of an illegal slide due to the runner "throwing" his arm up.

The replay wasn't long enough to see if there was an immediate dead ball call, which if were interference due to an illegal slide should take place immediately. I didn't see U2 make the call as the throw left the fielder's hand.

It's not like obstruction on the defense, which is a delayed-dead call.

I've umpired for a lot of years. I wouldn't have made that call because both the fielder and runner were separated and making respective baseball plays. That's the first thing you ask yourself, "was it a baseball play?". The answer in my mind is absolutely yes.

JMOP

LOL.

Last edited:
That call has big betting money all over it, There is no way to even remotely call that interference , I have seen some terrible calls in baseball and that might be one of the worst I have ever seen, There is literally nothing there to make any kind of call . Totally fabricated call. That kind of call gets My catcher " getting crossed up" and going down to block a breaking ball and let a fastball eat that 2nd base Umps mask up next time He umps My Teams game behind the plate .

The season wasn't a lot to laugh about. Most Iowa games could have gone either way unless you don't understand sports LOL.
Played at Iowa, played professionally overseas, and college coach (Division III) for 9 years. I think I understand sports.

Played at Iowa, played professionally overseas, and college coach (Division III) for 9 years. I think I understand sports.
I was playing with you and you were playing with me. You understood quite well what I was saying and what it means. You lose credibility when you think Iowa wasn't playing on the edge. Fantastic D and no O. You were a jerk and I gave it back. You must have played rowing..

Iowa in sports is a lot like an under matched soccer team that can play D but struggle to score (in general). One mistake/bad call screams loudly. I know you get that.

Good players and coaches don't bitch much about bad calls unless it is as it happens.

I was playing with you and you were playing with me. You understood quite well what I was saying and what it means. You lose credibility when you think Iowa wasn't playing on the edge. Fantastic D and no O. You were a jerk and I gave it back. You must have played rowing..

Iowa in sports is a lot like an under matched soccer team that can play D but struggle to score (in general). One mistake/bad call screams loudly. I know you get that.

Good players and coaches don't bitch much about bad calls unless it is as it happens.
I know what you were trying to say. That when you are involved in a lot of close games 1 play or 1 call is magnified. Really doesn’t have anything to do with “good” and “”less skilled”. I’d say Heller fields very skilled teams. I guess I was not a very good player or coach because I bitched a lot about bad calls especially when I felt there was an agenda.

It happens because they review their own calls. Unacceptable.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I rarely watch baseball but this call is a crime. There needs to be an investigation into it. There clearly is an agenda at work. Someone or some group need to be held accountable. Bad thing is whoever would be doing the investigation are probably behind it, so nothing will be done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT