ADVERTISEMENT

IC Duals thread

How many matches did we lose today? Seems like maybe almost as many as the all the past years IC Dual losses combined.....

Hard to gauge too much, but...

Competition was better than years past.

All 3 losses were at 125-133. I was hoping Stickley would be better, but no one had any false expectations about these weights. Laux looked decent and Glynn kept it close.

Kemerer gets OW for 2 Falls and a TF.

Sorensen and Turk get Honorable Mention for all bonus-point wins.

Bowman was better than expected.

I was hoping Stoll would look better, but happy to have him back.

Hope Downey is studying right now. We'll need him bigly come March.

Stoll still has no offense what so ever, as I've been saying for years. Between his lack of attacks and his bad knee I unfortunately don't think he even sees the medal stand. Stickley is what we all (reasonably) knew and will be lucky to qualify. The only point scorers this year for the Hawks are Sorenson, Kemmerer, possibly Marinelli and Downey if he actually makes it onto the team (which I'm ok with him not being part of the program). Stoll is the only other fringe AA I see and I lack confidence. The Hawks are going to be NASTY again starting next season. Struggles at an event like the IC Duals reminds me how painful this season is really going to be..

As a RS frosh, Stoll wrestled 26 matches against D-1 competition. He had bonus point wins in 11 of those matches. He was also ranked (I believe) as high as #5 prior to the injury. Not sure I agree with your comment that he lacks offense.

Confidence in the knee is something he will battle at times. Let's hope he's over it and healthy come March.

PA Hawks combined 6 - 0.
Good day.

What did Marinelli hurt?

Tweaked a knee. Kemerer looked like he has improved a ton, hoping he has narrowed the gap on Nolf. Wish Young was bigger but he has a bright future if he can continue to improve.

Reactions: Dagboi
Regardless of quality of competition, Turk impressed me today. Wrestled with an edge, and was looking to dominate every position.

I also thought Wilcke looked more active in general than he did last year, had some trouble finishing a few different shots so the scores didn't necessarily reflect his activity level. He stood around a bit in his 1st and 3rd match at points, but he dominated Ariola who was probably the best out of the bunch, looked really fluid and sharp in that match.

Kemerer looks like a dominant bonus point machine that we have desperately needed. He made the #13 ranked 157 lber look like a chump to the tune of a 18-2 TF. Something tells me that the #7-8 seed type guys he sees in the Quarterfinals won't fare much better.

SorenEagle looks like he has some more variety to his leg attacks, or he changing it up a bit more than in the past. Possible Perry effect? He was hitting that beautiful ankle pick all day, he's hit that in the past, but not often.

Thought Young looked pretty slick and fluid on his feet today, with good mat work. I love his iranian style Hi C that he hits a lot. Looked like he faded a bit against Fogarty.

I think we will be pleased with Gunther this year at 174. He can bang with guys in handfighting, and he looks like hes gaining more and more confidence in his offense. We know hes stingy with good defense from last year which kept him in almost every match, now hes opening up more than last year. Hope to see continued progress.

Bowman went out there and scrapped hard today, got the W and never gave up in a tough match with NDSU. He'll be solid for us until we get PD3 in here.

Stoll, glad to see him get a gut check today and see him persevere. I thought he looked good his first outside competition back since he reinjured his ACL last season. Would have liked to see more offense against Buffalo but whenever he tried to get his offensive ties (russians/underhooks) to set up his offense he got some nice stiff palms to the face for 7 minutes. Pretty boring match, but glad Stoll got the W so a little blip like this doesn't come back to hurt him for seeding. Also got 2 pins, which is always great. He's only going to get stronger as the season goes and remains healthy, plus continues to knock competition rust off.

I was hoping Stickley would be a little bit more competitive with other Unranked D1 starter, but looks like I was a tad too optimistic. But we all knew that in order to score points at NCAAs at 125 this year, we'll need Lee.

Thought Laux was pretty good overall. Looked a bit apathetic and tentative against the Juco Champ, but still got the W. Then came out like a ball of fire and owned NDSUs 133. Would have liked to see him against Lantry, but Glynn wrestled him close. Lantry was very content to win a 2-0/2-1 match.

[
How many matches did we lose today? Seems like maybe almost as many as the all the past years IC Dual losses combined.....

Nah...we lost to two ranked guys in close matches and a pin.

All in all, I thought we looked pretty good. Lots more back points and Turk looked real good. Guys were looking to score for the most part. I didn’t think Kem would put the ass whoopin on Ream that he did. Don’t think Ream knew what hit him. Also remember that Buffalo and NDSU got a rested look at us...had a few hours to recoup after weigh in.

Regardless of quality of competition, Turk impressed me today. Wrestled with an edge, and was looking to dominate every position.

I also thought Wilcke looked more active in general than he did last year, had some trouble finishing a few different shots so the scores didn't necessarily reflect his activity level. He stood around a bit in his 1st and 3rd match at points, but he dominated Ariola who was probably the best out of the bunch, looked really fluid and sharp in that match.

Kemerer looks like a dominant bonus point machine that we have desperately needed. He made the #13 ranked 157 lber look like a chump to the tune of a 18-2 TF. Something tells me that the #7-8 seed type guys he sees in the Quarterfinals won't fare much better.

SorenEagle looks like he has some more variety to his leg attacks, or he changing it up a bit more than in the past. Possible Perry effect? He was hitting that beautiful ankle pick all day, he's hit that in the past, but not often.

Thought Young looked pretty slick and fluid on his feet today, with good mat work. I love his iranian style Hi C that he hits a lot. Looked like he faded a bit against Fogarty.

I think we will be pleased with Gunther this year at 174. He can bang with guys in handfighting, and he looks like hes gaining more and more confidence in his offense. We know hes stingy with good defense from last year which kept him in almost every match, now hes opening up more than last year. Hope to see continued progress.

Bowman went out there and scrapped hard today, got the W and never gave up in a tough match with NDSU. He'll be solid for us until we get PD3 in here.

Stoll, glad to see him get a gut check today and see him persevere. I thought he looked good his first outside competition back since he reinjured his ACL last season. Would have liked to see more offense against Buffalo but whenever he tried to get his offensive ties (russians/underhooks) to set up his offense he got some nice stiff palms to the face for 7 minutes. Pretty boring match, but glad Stoll got the W so a little blip like this doesn't come back to hurt him for seeding. Also got 2 pins, which is always great. He's only going to get stronger as the season goes and remains healthy, plus continues to knock competition rust off.

I was hoping Stickley would be a little bit more competitive with other Unranked D1 starter, but looks like I was a tad too optimistic. But we all knew that in order to score points at NCAAs at 125 this year, we'll need Lee.

Thought Laux was pretty good overall. Looked a bit apathetic and tentative against the Juco Champ, but still got the W. Then came out like a ball of fire and owned NDSUs 133. Would have liked to see him against Lantry, but Glynn wrestled him close. Lantry was very content to win a 2-0/2-1 match.

Nice breakdown. I agree on Turk and think his stock went up a lot in my book. He is very explosive.

JUCO champ beat Lantry.

Another thing is I don't think we saw the new neutral danger rule come into play at all. Anyone see any instances of it that I missed?

My thoughts:

Stick is green and under powered. Needs to keep his head up, learn and try to improve.

Laux- Did well, sounds like the Juco kid beat Lantry who Glynn lost to. Juco kid maybe someone to think about if we don't have anything else shaking. Laux works hard and will continue to improve.

Turk impressed, has good size for 141, good energy and quickness and has had that nice double since HS. Seems ok on bottom and used the tilt well. Would like to see some other top game to go with the tilt.

Sorensen looks tough, opened up well.

Kem looks much more physical! Vert tough today.

Young wore down some but he is a quality guy. I think he beats Fogarty by more if fresh.

Gunther did well, looks a bit small but put up some points. He battles hard.

Bowman has some skills but has trouble with getting in poor position. Needs to clean things up some but put in a nice effort.

Wilke looks much more thick and explosive, much better confidence.

Sam is rusty and mobility and explosion are not what they were before the knee. Regaining some of that and him being confident in the knee are critical for him being able to change levels and scramble a bit. Gunning was a meat head backing out of holds and pushing his ****ing hands in Sam's face all the time. He was hoping to back up, dance and steal it late.

Reactions: Dagboi
check the weigh in sheets, the "last weigh in" section says Young weighed less than Marinelli. That was for certs. Pretty telling that Young isn't 174.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Count me as an optimist but Stick, Gunther, wilcke, stoll did not impress me. It is early in the season but didn't see any fire. Young is fun but small. Turk is tough. Bowman is interesting.

For what it’s worth...Warner was sitting pretty high up in the stands today and the dude is HUGE! Wished him good luck this weekend and it almost looked like he was surprised a fan noticed him sitting in the stands. Seemed pretty humbled and thanked us.

Not sure that's a good question.Lantry was round 12 last year lost to Parker in OT and to Brock.
Akins was round 16 and beat Peters at Ncaa last year
I'm sure it's a good question, but I don't know the answer to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT