ADVERTISEMENT

Iconic plays in Iowa football history

The Brad Banks scramble vs Purdue to set up the pass to clark for the game winning score... The Hinkel one hander vs Michigan... The Hinkel diving catch vs Penn State, The Hinkel one hander vs Iowa State.

Reactions: iahawks10
The bootleg. Hands down. Perhaps the most electric moment in Kinnick history.

I had, perhaps, the best seat in the house for that one. We were about halfway up the NE stands, and when Chuck turned toward the end zone, he ran directly at us. I actually believe I was one of the first people there that day to see that it was a bootleg. Incredible thrill!

I've got nostalgia for Wayne Larrivee all over again. "Superman wears number 6 and plays for the Iowa Hawkeyes," "Stanzi...McNutt...Touchdown," etc, etc, etc. Wish he was still calling college football.

In the bowl game against Mizzou where Sash picked off a pass and lateraled to Micah Hyde who took it all the way back for a pick 6.

Holy Sh.t Nick brought a tear to my eye. Watching one of my former law partners for almost 20 years until he passed good old number 22 Randy Duncan play QB for the Hawks. Wow. Amazing.

Reactions: rchawk
That is pure gold. Wow!

Nick Ma, great video! Outstanding. Jerry Burns on the sidelines, I am guessing 1961-1963 at the latest?

Mike Flagg catching TD passes in 1985. Before 2017 our best ever group of TEs may have been Flagg, Marv Cook and Craig Clark.

Also happy birthday to Nile Kinnick. You should have been one of America's leaders. War takes away too many of our best and brightest.

In the bowl game against Mizzou where Sash picked off a pass and lateraled to Micah Hyde who took it all the way back for a pick 6.
Actually that video is above re: Insight Bowl and it was Hyde all the way with no lateral. You are thinking of the MSU game back in 2010 at home with the Sash to Hyde lateral...here you go! 6:35 mark.

Reactions: dekhawk
A underrated play I’ve never been able to find was Broderick Binns INT against Arizona. Not iconic. Dud game, but pretty excellent athleticism.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
the greenway tackle against Minnesota on either Maroney or Barber?

I'm glad at least one other Hawk fan remembers that. I may not have my yardage correct, but that was a nice tackle for a loss on 3rd down and IIRC it pushed Minnesota's FG attempt back to about 46 yards instead of something more like 42 yards. I had the perfect angle in the upper deck of the Metrodome for that kick as the kicker hooked it about 1 yard left.

Reactions: NI hawk
One not cited yet is the Brad Banks shovel pass to Jermelle Lewis early in the 4th quarter of the 2002 Iowa-Michigan game in Ann Arbor. Great play call, and amazing running by Lewis that was a "back breaker" in that game.

I thought I have seen just about every Hawkeye football vid on youtube, but just came across this one. This is fantastic.
Looks like we played Indiana for homecoming in 1963.

Iconic because of who it was, but Bob Sanders’s missed tackle as the gunner on a punt against Minnesota in 2002. Gets back up, chases down the guy from behind, and then forces a fumble. How often does a starter, and at that point shoe-in for second straight year out of three as a 1st team All-Big Ten player, run as a punt gunner on special teams? That’s just how iconic Bob was. You knew he was going to make a play when you needed it, just like Station in the 80’s.

Reactions: iahawks10
Yes, on that particular play we were going for their jugular. It was a frustratingly smart play by the MSU guy.

It's an example of why 15-yard penalty is a joke for "intentional" contact/PI. The offense is at the mercy of teams that will do anything--like feigning injury--to disrupt an offense.

I thought I have seen just about every Hawkeye football vid on youtube, but just came across this one. This is fantastic.
This is a great find! Thanks for posting it.

Yes, that looks like Jerry Burns on the sidelines. Fred Ebbs and Tom Davis directing the band. Regarding the Scottish Highlanders, I don't remember them being so large. That had to be near the end of their popularity. Within 10 years fans started booing and membership shrank. Within 20 years they were disbanded.

If you were to put together a compilation of the most iconic plays in Iowa footbal history, what would they be? Offense, defense, special teams.

My votes:
Offense - Tate to Holloway, Long bootleg TD.
Defense - Josh Jackson interception against OSU in the alternative uni game; Tyler Sash interception v. Mich St.
Special teams - Houghtlin FG as time expires to beat No 2 Michigan; Clayborn blocked punt against Penn State.
I was at two of those games. The bootleg and the FG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT