ADVERTISEMENT

If it were not for 2 incredibly invovled fathers, Fran would be gone by now.

If it were not for FG/KM being devoted as shit in the growth of their sons Fran would be gone by now

• Totally agree

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • Somewhat agree

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • Somewhat disagree

Votes: 23 13.6%
  • Totally disagree

Votes: 77 45.6%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2020
Poll question to add your opinion to this statement.

If you look at Frans Tenure it's good not great anyway you cut it and I can't think of a single player, not named McCaffrey, Fran made better. Luka and the twins got better because of the work they put in on the off season, if "Bill" was the coach they could have done that. Even a guy like jbo was a notorious gym rat.

If you look at Frans Tenure it's good not great anyway you cut it and I can't think of a single player, not named McCaffrey, Fran made better. Luka and the twins got better because of the work they put in on the off season, if "Bill" was the coach they could have done that. Even a guy like jbo was a notorious gym rat.
No offense, but this is kind of a dumb poll.

Aaron White immediately comes to mind as someone Fran made better.

Yeah, Fran development skils enabled Aaron White to grow from 6'6" undersized PF when Iowa offered to 6'9 ideal sized PF. I would agree that Fran's system of fast break/run the ball offense and optional defense with lots of zone enabled Aaron to be perfect fit for Fran's system.

Not that Fran is a bad coach, he is little bit above average vs his peers in B1G. He is what his
W/L record says he is---115-109 in B1G play, slighly better than coin flipping.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Feel free to start following another schools team if you are dissatisfied with the current team/coach. :rolleyes:

So vote No. If you really want to spice it up, vote no, and explain why you feel that way.

Look at that roster BNG. He would be a dead man walking if we didn't have those 3 guys the last few years. At minimum this would be his hot seat year IMO.
My issues with McCaffery are well documented on here. My opinion was he should have been let go after the 2017-2018 season. I don’t believe you can fire him now, but we’ll see how the season pans out before we talk about how hot his seat is.

As to your OP, I think it’s a gross oversimplification. While it’s true that Garza and the Murrays have involved fathers, Fran deserves a lot of credit for recognizing their talents and offering scholarships, namely the Murrays. While IIRC Garza was a four-star, I don’t believe he had any real big offers outside of Louisville and Georgetown. So, yes, Fran gets credit for getting those three guys on the roster.

To your point about an underwhelming lack of talent overall, I agree with you 100%. It’s quite unfortunate too, because Fran does an excellent job of identifying serious talent right away before eventually getting the bridesmaid treatment in the end.

So, yes, to an extent, I understand what you’re getting at, I just think the premise is faulty (for the aforementioned reasons). As most know, I’m ready for the Fran era to be over. In my opinion, Fran has terribly mismanaged the talent he has brought in. Starting his 6’5 son at the 4 over a top five lottery pick was inexcusable, especially since Murray’s defensive versatility and athleticism were sorely lacking on that team. That pretty much ended all the goodwill I had toward Fran.

I’m also tired of Fran’s teams consistently playing trash defense and just trying to outscore people. Yes, it’s fun and entertaining when 3s are falling and everything is clicking, but Fran doesn’t have the talent to make his system work like he wants. Fans can get butthurt all they want about this, but the truth is Fran recruits too many tall, lanky white kids with limited athletic ability. I mean, Fran’s teams are about a mirror image of Wisconsin’s. The difference is Wisconsin doesn’t try to get in a track meet with superior athletic teams. That’s why Iowa gets run out of the gym when they get in the tournament and play teams like Villanova, Gonzaga, Oregon, etc.

In short, yes, Fran’s last few teams would have been pretty mediocre without Garza and the Murrays. It’s just not saying as much as you think it is because a lot of coaches would be screwed if you removed three outstanding players from their roster. Give Fran credit for landing Garza and taking a chance on the Murray twins, especially considering several in the fan base became unglued by the Murray offers.

My issues with McCaffery are well documented on here. My opinion was he should have been let go after the 2017-2018 season. I don’t believe you can fire him now, but we’ll see how the season pans out before we talk about how hot his seat is.

As to your OP, I think it’s a gross oversimplification. While it’s true that Garza and the Murrays have involved fathers, Fran deserves a lot of credit for recognizing their talents and offering scholarships, namely the Murrays. While IIRC Garza was a four-star, I don’t believe he had any real big offers outside of Louisville and Georgetown. So, yes, Fran gets credit for getting those three guys on the roster.

To your point about an underwhelming lack of talent overall, I agree with you 100%. It’s quite unfortunate too, because Fran does an excellent job of identifying serious talent right away before eventually getting the bridesmaid treatment in the end.

So, yes, to an extent, I understand what you’re getting at, I just think the premise is faulty (for the aforementioned reasons). As most know, I’m ready for the Fran era to be over. In my opinion, Fran has terribly mismanaged the talent he has brought in. Starting his 6’5 son at the 4 over a top five lottery pick was inexcusable, especially since Murray’s defensive versatility and athleticism were sorely lacking on that team. That pretty much ended all the goodwill I had toward Fran.

I’m also tired of Fran’s teams consistently playing trash defense and just trying to outscore people. Yes, it’s fun and entertaining when 3s are falling and everything is clicking, but Fran doesn’t have the talent to make his system work like he wants. Fans can get butthurt all they want about this, but the truth is Fran recruits too many tall, lanky white kids with limited athletic ability. I mean, Fran’s teams are about a mirror image of Wisconsin’s. The difference is Wisconsin doesn’t try to get in a track meet with superior athletic teams. That’s why Iowa gets run out of the gym when they get in the tournament and play teams like Villanova, Gonzaga, Oregon, etc.

In short, yes, Fran’s last few teams would have been pretty mediocre without Garza and the Murrays. It’s just not saying as much as you think it is because a lot of coaches would be screwed if you removed three outstanding players from their roster. Give Fran credit for landing Garza and taking a chance on the Murray twins, especially considering several in the fan base became unglued by the Murray offers.
Good overall points. I also agree its laughable to say take the three best players off the team, (all of wich he went out and recruited), and see what you'd have. Like many teams not normally in the top 10 could compete under those criteria....

Fran can be a dick. His personallity is not warm and fuzzy. However, he recruits good kids. There have been almost no problems with the law. Kids seem to be legimate college students. Basketball recruiting is as crooked as hell and has been for a long time. Fran seems to be above board and his teams are usually fun to watch. If Alford taught me one thing it is be careful about what you wish for.

Whiskeydick STFU.

IDK about the future - maybe some new coach can break through.

But if you take out the 3 magical years that Tom Davis got to coach George Raveling recruits, the Hawks have made it to the Sweet 16 ONCE in 40 years. In the decade before that they made it to ONE Final Four and ONE Sweet 16.

And in those 50 years, Iowa has tied for the B1G regular season championship once - in 1978/79. No outright titles.

Ralph Miller won the B1G twice, but that was over 50 years ago.

Legendary HC Lute Olsen won 20 games 6 times in 9 seasons (66.7%). Fran has won 20 games 8 times in 12 years (66.7%).

For the most part, Fran is simply replicating Iowa Basketball history.

Fran can be a dick. His personallity is not warm and fuzzy. However, he recruits good kids. There have been almost no problems with the law. Kids seem to be legimate college students. Basketball recruiting is as crooked as hell and has been for a long time. Fran seems to be above board and his teams are usually fun to watch. If Alford taught me one thing it is be careful about what you wish for.
I’ve never met Fran nor do I have any knowledge of what he’s like other than TV, what I’ve read, and what a couple of people who have had interactions with him have told me…..the understanding that I have is that Fran is actually a great guy (very warm and personable)…. And that the angry Fran we see occasionally on TV is the exception.

Reactions: Willin and mtown66
Isn't Barta screwing that up right now?
Yes but it sounds like the university is starting to come along and i think because the swarm made public the lack of support. Barta wants his donations but doesn't seem to realize thar the nil will directly effect the football and basketball teams which will affecr the donations he gets. If we end up like nebby and losing seasons with record streaks missing bowl games i think the university donations go down.

IDK about the future - maybe some new coach can break through.

But if you take out the 3 magical years that Tom Davis got to coach George Raveling recruits, the Hawks have made it to the Sweet 16 ONCE in 40 years. In the decade before that they made it to ONE Final Four and ONE Sweet 16.

And in those 50 years, Iowa has tied for the B1G regular season championship once - in 1978/79. No outright titles.

Ralph Miller won the B1G twice, but that was over 50 years ago.

Legendary HC Lute Olsen won 20 games 6 times in 9 seasons (66.7%). Fran has won 20 games 8 times in 12 years (66.7%).

For the most part, Fran is simply replicating Iowa Basketball history.
How many games did they play per season during Lutes era?

Two involved fathers, the AD, and thousands of Iowa basketball fans, who appreciate the twenty six wins and the BTT Championship from just last season.
What the hell does that have to do with the topic?

Yeah, they ended up being great players by working their asses off, that's the whole idea.

Reactions: Bishop1971
In person Fran is a soft spoken friendly guy. I've met him 3 times. I've heard great things about him being in public. Heard the opposite about Alford but he was cool with me. Alford even called McDermott up and used the f bomb 4 or 5 times as a joke after the isu coach went bananas on McDermott during a game. McDermott had gone to the middle of the floor to get an explanation that the isu coach was getting and isu coach flipped out on him screaming f u repeatedly. Alford called and waa laughing while doing it and had McDermott laughing. It was a friendly call and something i always found kind of endearing avout Alford besides his being very cool with me in person

IDGAF if Fran is Mr. Rodgers in person.

28 years of coaching & he's never seen the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament. Can't recruit athletic wings and doesn't teach any defense... yet Barta decides we needed to handcuff ourselves to him & throw away the key.
Iowa basketball is a perennial underachiever & the Administration does not care, so I think he would still be here regardless of Mr. Garza or Mr. Murray.

I'm not sure how this became a conversation of his personality or previous coaches. He could have thr personality of a cactus for all I give a shit. Guy would be mediocre at best if not for 2 parents having serious ****ing resources to develop their kids in the off season/prep academies IMO.

You can see the names listed over the time frame available. Take that for a positive or a negative on his ability to coach up players.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
So there is a fire fran, we hit the ceiling sect. And a future is looking bright with the recruits coming and i think a big from the portal this year. I'm glad im in the latter. Games must suck for you others. Why even watch basketball anymore? I get excited for every game and expect to win every game. Especially when we get back to healthy. And Fran being intense coaching and a great guy off the court is what we should want and expect. I felt like that during Lickliter. I quit watching and posting about basketball. After you btch about the exact same thing over and over again just walk away. I'm sick of hearing about it. Jfc same thing over and over and over.

Reactions: Ronman and LaoHawk
A point worth noting. But as has also been said, he didn't win the league outright either regardless of wins per year....
I really enjoyed checking out the answer to this. I remember 75 on and especially the brewing rivalry i felt with Louisville. Steve waite hitting his 2 free-throws in a huge moment in the tourny. The first time i heard "twin towers '. Thought that was an original nickname for them. Lute never did win the league outright. Surprised me.

I'm not sure how this became a conversation of his personality or previous coaches. He could have thr personality of a cactus for all I give a shit. Guy would be mediocre at best if not for 2 parents having serious ****ing resources to develop their kids in the off season/prep academies IMO.

You can see the names listed over the time frame available. Take that for a positive or a negative on his ability to coach up players.
So your saying that those three players didn't develop their games further at Iowa? Horseshit...Your forgeting a third parent in that group as well. He also has two sons on the team, and believe it or not BOTH of them were higher rated recruits coming out of high school, (top 100 area) then the twins or Garza as well. His third son will most likely be the highest rated of ALL the players mentioned when he selects a school.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Feel free to start following another schools team if you are dissatisfied with the current team/coach. :rolleyes:
Ah, this again. Have you seen Carver other than the ISU game? It would appear plenty have chosen to do just that but you really shouldn't encourage it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT