ADVERTISEMENT

If we’d never gone to the F4 in 79-80, would we even be this way?

Glad we went and all. And, Lester getting hurt was the end of it. But, had we not gone that far, would our expectations be so over the top?

It’s like we thought we belonged after that, and we don’t.

We don’t pull the players, no discredit to all the tremendous ones who’ve followed.

We definitely don’t get big time coaches lining up to take the reins of our program. We ran Lute out of town.

We’re Iowa. Flyover Iowa. Cornfields Iowa. Trapped in time Iowa. And, I don’t think we’re making roads to be any better.

Hell, people shit on players that play here. Give their all and stack up some real nice numbers.

Not good enough.

Read that sentence again.

It’s gonna take a serious commitment from the top down to change the big picture, if they even want to.

Throw rocks.
Nobody ran Lute out of town, that's a myth.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Who is demanding FF here? We can’t even get to the sweet 16. But since you asked, our arch rival, neighbor, and most closely resembled program has done the following since our last sweet 16.

17 round of 32
10 sweet 16s
4 elite 8s
3 final fours
1 national runner up
Heck, even the women have been more successful than the men, which is impressive when you take into account how much more top heavy NCAA women's basketball is than the men.

Expectations based on what happened 44 years ago? I’d call that more delusional. At least not reasonable expectations.

That was over 1300 games ago. 6 coaches. 2 arenas.

If people are basing their standard for Iowa on what happened in 1980, well, good luck to them. Unless there is a Caitlin Clark analog in some town in Iowa who only wants to be a Hawk. Anybody aware of that guy?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Who is demanding FF here? We can’t even get to the sweet 16. But since you asked, our arch rival, neighbor, and most closely resembled program has done the following since our last sweet 16.

17 round of 32
10 sweet 16s
4 elite 8s
3 final fours
1 national runner up

So one team, Wisconsin…ok

So one team, Wisconsin…ok
Illinois
5 sweet 16s
3 elite 8s
1 Final Four
1 National Runner up

Purdue
8 sweet 16s
3 elite 8
1 final four
1 national runner up

Missouri
2 sweet 16s
2 elite 8s

Iowa state
5 sweet 16s
1 elite 8.

Northern Iowa has a sweet 16 and several round of 32.

None of these programs are all that dissimilar from Iowa.

I’m older than most here, so I remember further back. It works that way.

That said, if you’re 40, you’ve never seen a stretch of consistent success. Just a stretch of consistent suck.

Not all of it. There have been moments.

But, we are not a player for league championships. League tourney? Yes. A couple.

Since Tom Davis was dismissed, our dance resume is putrid. We’ve had talent. I don’t think that’s the issue.

Since Iowa last tied for a conference title in 1979 (the year before they went to the Final Four), here are the Big Ten champions (regular season). The number is greater than 45 because of ties in some years.

Michigan State - 11
Purdue - 11
Indiana - 10
Illinois - 7
Ohio State - 7
Wisconsin - 6
Michigan - 5
Maryland - 1 joined the conference in 2014
Minnesota - 1 (another title was vacated)
Northwestern - 0
Penn State - 0 joined in 1990
Rutgers - 0 joined in 2014
Nebraska - 0 joined in 2012

Another perspective on expectations.

Glad we went and all. And, Lester getting hurt was the end of it. But, had we not gone that far, would our expectations be so over the top?

It’s like we thought we belonged after that, and we don’t.

We don’t pull the players, no discredit to all the tremendous ones who’ve followed.

We definitely don’t get big time coaches lining up to take the reins of our program. We ran Lute out of town.

We’re Iowa. Flyover Iowa. Cornfields Iowa. Trapped in time Iowa. And, I don’t think we’re making roads to be any better.

Hell, people shit on players that play here. Give their all and stack up some real nice numbers.

Not good enough.

Read that sentence again.

It’s gonna take a serious commitment from the top down to change the big picture, if they even want to.

Throw rocks.
Ya you are being an idiot. Blocking out, closing out, sons that have shooting form, proper D hand and footwork. Not bring a maniac with officials. Too much for a million dollar coach....but we see this

In bitty ball.

Illinois
5 sweet 16s
3 elite 8s
1 Final Four
1 National Runner up

Purdue
8 sweet 16s
3 elite 8
1 final four
1 national runner up

Missouri
2 sweet 16s
2 elite 8s

Iowa state
5 sweet 16s
1 elite 8.

Northern Iowa has a sweet 16 and several round of 32.

None of these programs are all that dissimilar from Iowa.

So no one from the Midwest has won a FF in the last 25 years….yuck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT