ADVERTISEMENT

If we are depending on McNamara..

Not sure this is an option, but getting a proven QB that is ready now could be the piece that takes the football team to the next level. Our reality is what it is and I'll support the team but this could be it.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Well, I'd love to have another QB on the roster, but I am doubtful that the Hawks land anyone that we can get excited about. Right now, it doesn't feel like a QB that has choices would want to come to Iowa.

If Cade gets hurt we're screwed ,,,, again.
As the great James Hetfield once said...

"YOU KNOW IT'S SAD BUT TRUUUUUUUUUUUEEE"

Not sure this is an option, but getting a proven QB that is ready now could be the piece that takes the football team to the next level. Our reality is what it is and I'll support the team but this could be it.

Possibly, but the OL also needs a lot of work…..woof

I’m not sure how good the WRs are either. Was it the QB that couldn’t get them the ball? I saw lots of drops last year as well

Go get a Division II or Juco or FCS guy that has started at least one season. Tell him he will have every opportunity to be the starter in 2025. And most likely play some to a lot in 2024 if Cade is hurt. Brian’s qb recruiting and development is still hurting us even though he’s gone!

Possibly, but the OL also needs a lot of work…..woof

I’m not sure how good the WRs are either. Was it the QB that couldn’t get them the ball? I saw lots of drops last year as well
I hear you, I'm going with the impact it would make with the current team. Even if the online play this year doesn't degrade from last year and the wr room/ scheme slightly improves.

He will be fine. If we have to split game time in Sept, so be it. Whoever ends up at #2 could use some game time anyway. We should be able to handle that part of the schedule without firing on all cylinders. He may not be the running threat he once was, but from day one Lester said that having a dual threat guy was not a requirement. If the OL can keep him clean and he has the mental part down and can make the throws, we will be fine. All any of them have to be able to do is take the easy 5 when it is there. I do not know how many times in the last several years you could see that our qb could have easily gotten 4-5 yards and they didn't. So nobody ever ever had to account for the qb when playing us. PLUS he can lean on his team mates a little and not try and do so much all through Sept. Yeah we need to win those games, but to hell with sexy, just keep everyone healthy. I mean how many points do you think we are going to have to put up on Sept?? That gives him 5 more months before OSU.

Or have to go back to Deacon Hill, next year is going to be rough….. yikes, his mobility

I watched a Memphis top running back late last year during a game wearing a big knee brace like Cade has on and he was moving great. The brace gave him the lateral and hyperextension protection but didnt seem to hurt his cutting.

Cade has been rehabbing for about 4 months and he has 4 months to go before August camp. If he gets the structural and muscle strength back and wears a brace of some type I think he can stay healthy.

I hope he can, I hope the hawks have big leads late in some games to get him out and I hope Marco is #2 because we have to try something besides Hill (unless Lester pulls a QB whisperer turnaround of Hill).

Reactions: thunderstruck1
He's intentionally staying flat footed to limit stress on his knee. He'll be okay in September.
Yeah, getting back up on the toes and launching off that leg were some of the last things to come back to me with my knee ordeal. Boxers footwork is what it is similar to. It all depends on the person and injury, but I could step back on it long before I could launch off it. (stepping up on a stair was much harder then stepping back down) Which seemed to me and idk anything, was what he had going on last year when he played. He could take the snap and step back, but when he went to step up or launch off of it was when he had problems. (again idk anything and have not watched old games or anything, but that is kind of what I remember anyway and was my experiences anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Pennix, national title game QB for WASH had several major knee injuries but somehow led the nation in passing yardage the last two seasons and will be a 1st round pick this week.
Cade getting injured again is no certainty.

Pennix, national title game QB for WASH had several major knee injuries but somehow led the nation in passing yardage the last two seasons and will be a 1st round pick this week.
Cade getting injured again is no certainty.
There is always a success story too. I am hoping the same with Cade.

Reactions: hawkandroll
I watched a Memphis top running back late last year during a game wearing a big knee brace like Cade has on and he was moving great. The brace gave him the lateral and hyperextension protection but didnt seem to hurt his cutting.

Cade has been rehabbing for about 4 months and he has 4 months to go before August camp. If he gets the structural and muscle strength back and wears a brace of some type I think he can stay healthy.

I hope he can, I hope the hawks have big leads late in some games to get him out and I hope Marco is #2 because we have to try something besides Hill (unless Lester pulls a QB whisperer turnaround of Hill).
Cade had surgery in October so he has been rehabbing closer to six months already. He has time to fully recover and get up to speed on the new offense.

Or have to go back to Deacon Hill, next year is going to be rough….. yikes, his mobility

Any QB who would consider coming in to play under KF would have to be nuts. KF will play that BS about " we don't make evaluations during the season..." Best or worst, the newcomer will be destined to riding the pine the entire year. It's remarkable that KF, "the dean of B1G coaches," has zero options at the most important position on the field. This isn't the first time around, either. C'mon Beth, put some heat on this chump.

Any QB who would consider coming in to play under KF would have to be nuts. KF will play that BS about " we don't make evaluations during the season..." Best or worst, the newcomer will be destined to riding the pine the entire year. It's remarkable that KF, "the dean of B1G coaches," has zero options at the most important position on the field. This isn't the first time around, either. C'mon Beth, put some heat on this chump.

To be completely honest. I don’t know how much KF has really felt he needed to rely on his QB to “make a play” in order to win games. I’m sure it come down to it here or there, but he’s more of the mind “don’t make a mistake” and hopefully force the other team to goof up. This is why I think he views the punting game so vitally important.

He knows for virtually his entire career here that the defense has been his bread and butter and has really ridden them to victory in games we had no business winning. It’s funny because the term complimentary football gets thrown around so often, but in reality the offense doesn’t compliment the defense at all.

Reactions: bdoss and jhawk23
Cade had surgery in October so he has been rehabbing closer to six months already. He has time to fully recover and get up to speed on the new offense.
That was his second major injury which does not bode well for the future.

He's intentionally staying flat footed to limit stress on his knee. He'll be okay in September.
No way, I’ve had a few knee surgeries
His ability to plant that left leg is a long way from even full practice cuts. Then there’s actual confidence to let it go and then actual real game level. He’s 6 months away from what I see….if ever! That gimp is pretty bad.

Well, I'd love to have another QB on the roster, but I am doubtful that the Hawks land anyone that we can get excited about. Right now, it doesn't feel like a QB that has choices would want to come to Iowa.

If Cade gets hurt we're screwed ,,,, again.
Screwed...again. Kind of like when they won 10 games last year?

Maybe Beth should put KF on a run total count like Brian had last year. That might make him hit the portal really hard???

Illustration Bike GIF by Rebecca Rothman

CM is serviceable but fragile.
DH fumbles and throws into coverage.
ML must not be good enough to crack the #2 spot.
And then there’s SP.
We have a coaching staff that is not qualified to select QB’s. Why do we think they could select a decent QB from the portal? They’re credibility is shot.

Reactions: Iron Doc
No way, I’ve had a few knee surgeries
His ability to plant that left leg is a long way from even full practice cuts. Then there’s actual confidence to let it go and then actual real game level. He’s 6 months away from what I see….if ever! That gimp is pretty bad.
Yeah, I've had the same surgery as well. It's what he's doing. I expect him to be ready to go in August.

And then there’s SP.
We have a coaching staff that is not qualified to select QB’s. Why do we think they could select a decent QB from the portal? They’re credibility is shot.
Because, Lester. Tim Lester. He’s new. We need to give him a chance to bring in his guy.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Maybe Beth should put KF on a run total count like Brian had last year. That might make him hit the portal really hard???
This won't happen, but I have no doubt that BG has had a "Come to Jesus" discussion with KF. She's not going to give him a quick hook after a 10-win season, but I think they both realize that he's not going to keep cranking out 10-win seasons with the offense he keeps putting on the field. He won't be coaching in '26 if the offense doesn't get to close to average, or at least above embarrassment level.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
And then there’s SP.
Lester is the new addition. While I have no idea how good he is at recognizing QB talent, I am 1000% confident it is better than both KF and BF, and the fact that he was one heck of an FBS QB himself gives me a decent amount of hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT