ADVERTISEMENT

If we are depending on McNamara..

Well, I'd love to have another QB on the roster, but I am doubtful that the Hawks land anyone that we can get excited about. Right now, it doesn't feel like a QB that has choices would want to come to Iowa.

If Cade gets hurt we're screwed ,,,, again.

Archie Manning wants to start. Go get him. He had 3 td passes in Texas spring game. That'd be 3 games for the Deacon.

• Haha
Reactions: amahawk and QChawks
CM is serviceable but fragile.
DH fumbles and throws into coverage.
ML must not be good enough to crack the #2 spot.
And then there’s SP.
We have a coaching staff that is not qualified to select QB’s. Why do we think they could select a decent QB from the portal? They’re credibility is shot.
Our past QBs havent been coached up with Brian and Jon. I see hope with Lester.

Reactions: Garzatough85
A portal QB this spring is someone's third stringer or worse.

And with Iowa's complicated offense...
I would bet that Lester has FAR more positive connections within the coaching ranks than Brian did. Lester himself said they won't take someone just "because". I would bet that, to your point, the pool will be limited but I am also betting he can spot talent. Maybe it is a kid that is a sophomore on a roster where the incumbent is a Junior and he is not anticipating much playing time. I do not think we are going to get a starter this year out of it but could be a guy that feels comfortable competing for the #2 this season and then #1 after that. But your point stands.....not going to be many out there.

Reactions: MitchLL
I’m anticipating a better run block RPO plan that will help with quick hit passing game. This should equate to an either safer Cade to run it or an improved QB2 regardless of who it is. A 20% or better offense equates to a 7 win or better season I expect.

I don't think Cade takes another snap at Iowa.

Marco is going to be QB1 for the opener.
I’m ok with this if the offense we’re expecting is an RPO dominant scheme. We all seem to agree that any offense that requires even an average mobile QB cannot include Hill.

To be completely honest. I don’t know how much KF has really felt he needed to rely on his QB to “make a play” in order to win games. I’m sure it come down to it here or there, but he’s more of the mind “don’t make a mistake” and hopefully force the other team to goof up. This is why I think he views the punting game so vitally important.

He knows for virtually his entire career here that the defense has been his bread and butter and has really ridden them to victory in games we had no business winning. It’s funny because the term complimentary football gets thrown around so often, but in reality the offense doesn’t compliment the defense at all.
The problem is that defense was smoked 93-0 in the only games that mattered last year. Thankfully Tennessee and Penn State called off the dogs early or it would have been worse.

He will be fine. If we have to split game time in Sept, so be it. Whoever ends up at #2 could use some game time anyway. We should be able to handle that part of the schedule without firing on all cylinders. He may not be the running threat he once was, but from day one Lester said that having a dual threat guy was not a requirement. If the OL can keep him clean and he has the mental part down and can make the throws, we will be fine. All any of them have to be able to do is take the easy 5 when it is there. I do not know how many times in the last several years you could see that our qb could have easily gotten 4-5 yards and they didn't. So nobody ever ever had to account for the qb when playing us. PLUS he can lean on his team mates a little and not try and do so much all through Sept. Yeah we need to win those games, but to hell with sexy, just keep everyone healthy. I mean how many points do you think we are going to have to put up on Sept?? That gives him 5 more months before OSU.
We already know who’s going to be #2 and no amount of reps will help him.

Cade had surgery in October so he has been rehabbing closer to six months already. He has time to fully recover and get up to speed on the new offense.
I was wondering about this. How much time did he have to rehab before the start of last season?

I would bet that Lester has FAR more positive connections within the coaching ranks than Brian did. Lester himself said they won't take someone just "because". I would bet that, to your point, the pool will be limited but I am also betting he can spot talent. Maybe it is a kid that is a sophomore on a roster where the incumbent is a Junior and he is not anticipating much playing time. I do not think we are going to get a starter this year out of it but could be a guy that feels comfortable competing for the #2 this season and then #1 after that. But your point stands.....not going to be many out there.
I think this is kind of refreshing and one reason why Iowa's QB and WR rooms turned into what they had become. Iowa coaches started having trouble recruiting some of these skill positions and took a beggars can't be choosers philosophy. Most of them probably had no business being in a P5 program but in the end the coaches were just filling quotas. This is where the portal can help a team like Iowa that has dug a deep hole for itself talent-wise. They made strides in that direction last year, but they need to be smarter in how they go about it.

I was wondering about this. How much time did he have to rehab before the start of last season?
I can't remember when he was cleared, but in Aug he had the quad injury and was never right from game one. If he gets cleared in June this year and all goes well, I could for sure see him being just fine, even if he plays with some support on the knee in fall camp and the first month of the season. I still think the plan should be to get as many reps for the #2 in game time if we can during that first month. Because all fall camp the reps with the 1's are going to go to pretty much one person. That is the nice thing about blow out games, you can get some much needed game reps for the 2's (and not just on the OL or DL, but at the skill positions.

I think this is kind of refreshing and one reason why Iowa's QB and WR rooms turned into what they had become. Iowa coaches started having trouble recruiting some of these skill positions and took a beggars can't be choosers philosophy. Most of them probably had no business being in a P5 program but in the end the coaches were just filling quotas. This is where the portal can help a team like Iowa that has dug a deep hole for itself talent-wise. They made strides in that direction last year, but they need to be smarter in how they go about it.
Agree. I love that they are looking at another WR right now. We are over on schollies but we are looking to improve the roster. I HAVE to trust Lester that from a personnel standpoint he knows what he is doing (IF KF let's him do it of course). It is not a one year gig.....I think Lester is going to build something that puts him in the driver's seat for HC when the time comes. No 90 day heroes BUT let's get it done and start making the moves now.

I also loved what Higgens said about the difficulty adjusting to our new offense and that what we saw on Saturday is not exactly what has been going on in practice. No need to let some others see what we are up to outside of basic formation, motion, etc.

I can't remember when he was cleared, but in Aug he had the quad injury and was never right from game one. If he gets cleared in June this year and all goes well, I could for sure see him being just fine, even if he plays with some support on the knee in fall camp and the first month of the season. I still think the plan should be to get as many reps for the #2 in game time if we can during that first month. Because all fall camp the reps with the 1's are going to go to pretty much one person. That is the nice thing about blow out games, you can get some much needed game reps for the 2's (and not just on the OL or DL, but at the skill positions.
I was referring to his previous surgery from Michigan. He still wasn't right after that resulting in the quad and then the ACL. All of these were non-contact injuries making me of the opinion that he wasn't physically ready to go in the first place.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
#1 wouldn't surprise me
I don't think Cade takes another snap at Iowa.

Marco is going to be QB1 for the opener.
#1 wouldn't surprise me, he still looks pretty gimpy.
#2 we can only hope. He may not be a world beater but we've seen what DH brings. At least Marco is mobile

Lots of football players have successfully rehabbed two knee injuries. He will be ready.
This is true, and players like Michael Penix give us hope, but all bodies aren't created equal and the time required varies accordingly. Rehabilitation doesn't just involve the specific injuries, but the atrophy that sets in due to inactivity and he hasn't moved like an athlete needs to for about a year and a half now. Cade's injuries proved he wasn't 100% ready last year after a similar setback and time period for rehab. That doesn't mean this time won't be different, but history isn't on his side and time isn't in his favor.

With Hill entering the portal something is in the works.

They both stink.
JFC. Iowa played 3 ranked teams last season: 0-92. All Ferentz recruits is OLs, TEs and LBs.

I'll get interested in Iowa football again when the University decides to get a coach willing to coach.
I'm sick and tired of Ferentz's negligent recruiting. The fact we have no, in fact negative QB asset is due to not stocking talent. Are there fans that will argue we have, or have had adequate WR talent?

I've bled Black and Gold for 60 years but enough of this shit. Hire a hungry, coach with modern ideas who's got the balls to go toe-to-toe for talent. Development programs are for mid-majors.

Bluder makes it happen. How many more years do we have to "well..another OC can make it work"...while Ferentz is collecting his 5 million/year or whatever while putting the most boring product in the nation on the field.

Last edited:
He's intentionally staying flat footed to limit stress on his knee. He'll be okay in September.
Ummmmmm, I hope you're right.

His mobility is key to his staying on the field, but he wasn't all that mobile last year and with another surgery it's highly unlikely that's improved. What would really help is a huge improvement up front to limit the shots he's taking and the running for his life moments that we've been accustomed to seeing the past 4-5 years. Maybe the new Offense will put him in better situations to avoid getting pounded. Fingers crossed.

Ummmmmm, I hope you're right.

His mobility is key to his staying on the field, but he wasn't all that mobile last year and with another surgery it's highly unlikely that's improved. What would really help is a huge improvement up front to limit the shots he's taking and the running for his life moments that we've been accustomed to seeing the past 4-5 years. Maybe the new Offense will put him in better situations to avoid getting pounded. Fingers crossed.

He was never close to 100% last year. His knee should be fine by fall, and there’s a good chance he can start the season fully healthy. If so, he will be much more mobile than last year.

But even if he manages to start the season fully healthy, I have my doubts he can stay healthy throughout the season.

Would it have been better if it were 9 - 0 ?
You seriously think 10-4 is 10-4 and that's that? You seriously don't think a season which indicated that you were a few possession difference away from a B1G championship and the CFP would be different than a season that indicated that your team had no business competing with the big boys? You seriously don't think there'd be a different attitude from the fan base right now in your scenario compared to reality? GMAFB.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
You seriously think 10-4 is 10-4 and that's that? You seriously don't think a season which indicated that you were a few possession difference away from a B1G championship and the CFP would be different than a season that indicated that your team had no business competing with the big boys? You seriously don't think there'd be a different attitude from the fan base right now in your scenario compared to reality? GMAFB.
A loss is a friggin loss and none are ever acceptable no matter what the score. Just to interpret for you. Whether it was 500 - 0 in those 3 games or 6 - 0 in those 3 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT