ADVERTISEMENT

If you could go back, would you have traded DeSanto for RBY, knowing now what each did?

Would you have traded DeSanto for RBY, knowing now what each did?

• Yes

Votes: 67 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • HELL NO! I wouldn't have traded him for anyone, he was the most entertaining Hawkeye since Metcalf!

Votes: 52 36.6%

• Total voters

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Mind you, this is the only year it would possibly matter for team finishes. In 2019, DeSanto took 3rd and RBY took 8th. Austin outscored Roman by 7.5 that season. Iowa took 4th, PSU took 1st and the point swap wouldn't come close to changing either finish. In 2021, RBY outscored DeSanto by 3, finishing 1st to Austin's 3rd. Iowa took 1st, PSU took 2nd and the point swap, again, would be inconsequential. In 2022, RBY outscored DeSanto by 7, with RBY again finishing 1st and DeSanto 3rd. PSU took 1st by a mile and Iowa took 3rd, but finished 21 behind UofM.

Even this year, we wouldn't know if it would change team finishes or not. The way PSU recruits, who would they have at 133, if they didn't have RBY???

Anyone that says no is not thinking clearly. Everyone would rather have a 3xer (after this season) than a 3x AA. Thems just the facts.
I believe you’re missing the important disclaimer, knowing now that it makes zero difference in the team race (for this year it’s TBD.)

I’d love ADs wrestling with RBYs strength. If AD had the strength to take RBY down the million times he was in on shots he couldn’t finish, he’d win every time. But RBY owns him at this point, so gotta go with RBY unfortunately

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Anyone that says no is not thinking clearly. Everyone would rather have a 3xer (after this season) than a 3x AA. Thems just the facts.
Ah. The old “If your opinion isn’t the same as mine you’re not thinking clearly”

I went hell no and it was an easy choice. It would have been enjoyable to watch two more individual titles by a Hawkeye wrestler but not enough enjoyment to override the dozens of unbelievably entertaining beat downs ADS put on a plethora of wrestlers.

If the switch would have delivered Iowa an additional team title I probably would have gone with “yes” but that’s not the case.

I didn't see that in the OP. Now that I've read all the comments I see.

But I still stand by the thought that anyone would rather have a possible 3x Champ over a 3x AA.
MSU literally laid it out year by year that swapping RBY and Desanto wouldn’t make a difference in the team race the last 3 years. Not busting your balls, you have every right to want the 3x champ instead. That’s why he proposed the question in the first place. All good.

I would rather have DeSanto because of the excitement he provided and the style of wrestling he used...that non stop pace was a blast to watch. That stalling until you can score a defensive Takedown , then tie up an ankle and STALL your ass off is BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its an easy choice for me as an Iowa fan ADS for the win.

Seems like a no brainer to take the 3X champ vs 3X all American because then Iowa has 3 more individual titles than they have now even if it didn't affect the team race.

I would rather have DeSanto because of the excitement he provided and the style of wrestling he used...that non stop pace was a blast to watch. That stalling until you can score a defensive Takedown , then tie up an ankle and STALL your ass off is BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its an easy choice for me as an Iowa fan ADS for the win.
This year I believe RBY has bonused almost every match and both wrestlers had similar %s bonus wins in the past.

Ads and Iowa were a perfect match for each other. His relentless pace and in your face offense exemplifies Iowa style, and very much reminds me of some of our all time greats.

Iowa coaches taught ADS so much. Not just about wrestling but about life. They really helped him grow up and become a man. He repayed them and us fans with all out effort all the time. Rby can’t say the same thing. Anyone that chooses Rby overADS because he won titles just isn’t seeing the full picture.

For what it’s worth, anyone still making jokes about ADS crying out in pain after RBY’s dirty move is a piece of human garbage that should be nut punched repeatedly.

RBY-ADS matches are right there with the AM-VJ matches for me. All 4 are likeable good guys. After watching the Outa Tuscon I have a whole lot more appreciation of where RBY had come from and what he has grown into. Is he perfect? not a chance. Is ADS? I have to agree ADS also grew as a person and as a wrestler. Would I trade one for the other? Not likely. But do I appreciate the talent and people they are, where they came from, and who they are becoming? You better believe it! Grateful to be a wrestling fan and enjoy these types of individual rivalries.

I would have to know what kind of person RBY is. If character is even - sure. ADS is a great Hawk regardless.

Ads and Iowa were a perfect match for each other. His relentless pace and in your face offense exemplifies Iowa style, and very much reminds me of some of our all time greats.

Iowa coaches taught ADS so much. Not just about wrestling but about life. They really helped him grow up and become a man. He repayed them and us fans with all out effort all the time.

Austin was the closest thing to TnT that we've seen in a long time. Pure entertainment whenever he stepped on the mat.

I'll admit, when he did the Kimura thing all he was was that punk that ruined Spencer's senior season.

However, once he came to Iowa and I was made aware of his struggles, I was much more understanding. Watching him grow as a person and do better at controlling himself speaks wonders to the Iowa program.

His matches were always fireworks, and Desanto at Nationals somehow turned up the intensity even further year in and year out. Say what you will about bonus % being equal, Austin's bonus points and 3rd place at the tourney almost got him the same points as RBY as a champion.

I'll miss watching him every bit as much as watching Spencer, and I hope we get to watch him for years to come on the freestyle scene.

I would go with RBY simply because of the Tucson connection. Possibly 3 titles is big time but like so many have said, ADS was must view TV. I am happy that both have overcame some battles to be where they are today. Proud Desanto is a Hawk, envious that RBY is with the other guys.

I would go with RBY simply because of the Tucson connection. Possibly 3 titles is big time but like so many have said, ADS was must view TV. I am happy that both have overcame some battles to be where they are today. Proud Desanto is a Hawk, envious that RBY is with the other guys.
I remember that AZCHIEF guy wanting him to come to Iowa.

Reactions: Gobblin
Absolutely. Nothing compares to seeing our guys win championships on Saturday night At nationals and clearly rby has been more accomplished in that category.

I liked watching ADS too, but my case for RBY--even knowing that it wouldn't impact the team race--is that Iowa has had a shortage of NCAA champs over the past decade (only 5 in past 10 seasons: Lee, Clark, Ramos, St. John, McDonough). Having another multi-time champ might've (a) inspired others to set their sights higher, (b) helped recruiting, (c) given fans something else to feel good about. And (d) I'd have enjoyed watching a Lee/RBY/Woods 1-2-3 this year.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT