ADVERTISEMENT

If you took away gambling and fantasy football how popular is the NFL Really?

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Lots of empty seats on opening weekend.

Long replay delays one after another. 25-30 penalties a game, all hard hits are now penalties basically. Terrible QB's and QB play.

I certainly don't go out of my way to watch it at this point. Love the Steelers, have for 40 years, but the Browns game yesterday was a terrible, terrible football game.

It will be interesting to hear what the rating are for the first week. The first game saw a decline.

"TV ratings for the NFL’s Thursday night opener got sacked — again — falling for the fourth straight year. While the NFL still commands the largest young, male demographic of any programming, the 12 percent decline from last season’s opener can’t make Commissioner Roger Goodell a happy man. And this season’s game featured marquee New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, but he failed to spark a rise in viewership, as the game drew just a 14.6 rating. Last year’s game scored a 16.5 rating — which was itself 7 percent lower than the 2015 opener. The ratings tumble on Thursday is sure to continue the years-long debate over whether the NFL’s ability to draw young male viewers is on a long, cyclical decline."
http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/nfls-opening-night-was-a-tv-ratings-disaster/

You're gonna lose millennials with 3 1/2 hr games.

i think there is sometimes a hangover effect from college football saturdays too, especially when there are a lot of good games on a specific saturday or an Iowa game like vs iowa state

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Its not any one thing...its a thousand paper cuts...that is one of them for some people. For me its the endless replay reviews that often end up with a subjective call at the end anyway.

I agree on you about reviews. I can't believe they still can't get it right. The blueprint is already available with NCAA and the CFL even.

The NFL is in decline for many reasons:

1. The Concussion issue is a real danger and folks
think that the NFL has too many players over 300
pounds. They have become lethal weapons.

2. The NFL is not producing any role models for the
younger crowd to idolize. Too many NFL players
make the news because of spousal abuse & drugs.

3. With high school football on Friday nights and
college football on Saturdays, the American male
wants a break on Sundays to do his own thing.

4. The quality of play in the NFL is not a pretty sight.
You have too many teams with no hope of going to
the Super Bowl and their fans admit that.

Long replay delays one after another. 25-30 penalties a game, all hard hits are now penalties basically. Terrible QB's and QB play.

I certainly don't go out of my way to watch it at this point. Love the Steelers, have for 40 years, but the Browns game yesterday was a terrible, terrible football game.
Personally I find it much easier picking college as opposed to the NFL.

Does this really make you stop watching football? That's really sad, dude.
absolutely, me and millions of others. and I guarantee 100% college players are doing it and the networks are not showing it cause it will ruin college ball too

The NFL is in decline for many reasons:

1. The Concussion issue is a real danger and folks
think that the NFL has too many players over 300
pounds. They have become lethal weapons.

2. The NFL is not producing any role models for the
younger crowd to idolize. Too many NFL players
make the news because of spousal abuse & drugs.

3. With high school football on Friday nights and
college football on Saturdays, the American male
wants a break on Sundays to do his own thing.

4. The quality of play in the NFL is not a pretty sight.
You have too many teams with no hope of going to
the Super Bowl and their fans admit that.

I disagree with pretty much all of this.

1. Concussions are a danger, and the game is evolving because of it. But the danger is more from the 200 lb. safety than a slow moving lineman. Rules will continue to change, the game will get safer, but football will be just fine, thank you very much.

2. There are 10x more good people to focus on as role models than bad actors in the NFL. You want an example, look at J.J. Watt. He set out to raise $200,000 for hurricane relief. As of yesterday he was over $30 million.

3. This American male's idea of "doing his own thing" on Sunday is sitting around and watching football. Not all of us want to spend all day in church.

4. The salary cap and draft make the NFL the most equal playing field of all sports. The Bears and Jaguars were terrible last year. The Jags just smoked the Texans, largely in part to their top draft pick. The Bears came within a play of toppling the NFC champ Falcons. Not to mention that the Super Bowl champion Patriots got smoked by the Chiefs.

The NFL is still the best professional sport out there, AINEC.

absolutely, me and millions of others. and I guarantee 100% college players are doing it and the networks are not showing it cause it will ruin college ball too

That's pathetic, dude. You stop watching football because you disagree with someone's opinion on one of the teams? You let your jingoism dictate what sports you watch?

Most of America knows/thinks your wrong. Although still not your worst post this week. That "This is why you didn't by season tickets" was a beauty.

Glad to know you speak for America....Lol at the personal attack since you don't really have a factual argument....

Glad to know you speak for America....Lol at the personal attack since you don't really have a factual argument....

Facts? Like ratings? If you can't see that football is more popular than soccer not just because of gambling or FF then I can't help you.

The NFL sucks, I only do fantasy football to pass the time.

Facts? Like ratings? If you can't see that football is more popular than soccer not just because of gambling or FF then I can't help you.

Oh I think gambling plays a big big role...Hard to quantify though. Its ratings are falling. Baseball was king once too. Everything has a life cycle...even the NFL.

I disagree with pretty much all of this.

1. Concussions are a danger, and the game is evolving because of it. But the danger is more from the 200 lb. safety than a slow moving lineman. Rules will continue to change, the game will get safer, but football will be just fine, thank you very much.

2. There are 10x more good people to focus on as role models than bad actors in the NFL. You want an example, look at J.J. Watt. He set out to raise $200,000 for hurricane relief. As of yesterday he was over $30 million.

3. This American male's idea of "doing his own thing" on Sunday is sitting around and watching football. Not all of us want to spend all day in church.

4. The salary cap and draft make the NFL the most equal playing field of all sports. The Bears and Jaguars were terrible last year. The Jags just smoked the Texans, largely in part to their top draft pick. The Bears came within a play of toppling the NFC champ Falcons. Not to mention that the Super Bowl champion Patriots got smoked by the Chiefs.

The NFL is still the best professional sport out there, AINEC.

Regarding #3 . . . Almost any church I've heard of where I live the latest service ends at Noon which is enough time to get home and watch the games that start at 1 pm. Although maybe this is just an Eastern time thing.

It will be interesting to hear what the rating are for the first week. The first game saw a decline.

"TV ratings for the NFL’s Thursday night opener got sacked — again — falling for the fourth straight year. While the NFL still commands the largest young, male demographic of any programming, the 12 percent decline from last season’s opener can’t make Commissioner Roger Goodell a happy man. And this season’s game featured marquee New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, but he failed to spark a rise in viewership, as the game drew just a 14.6 rating. Last year’s game scored a 16.5 rating — which was itself 7 percent lower than the 2015 opener. The ratings tumble on Thursday is sure to continue the years-long debate over whether the NFL’s ability to draw young male viewers is on a long, cyclical decline."
http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/nfls-opening-night-was-a-tv-ratings-disaster/

You're gonna lose millennials with 3 1/2 hr games.

To be fair Thursday night games have been terrible for a while now.

While fantasy football helps because it causes people to watch games where they don't have a rooting interest just because they have fantasy players in that game, I do think most people who watch the NFL regularly have a team that they favor. I just have a hard time buying that there is a bunch of dudes playing fantasy football but are not fans of any of the teams in the NFL.

Too scared to play starters in preseason is why yesterday was so awful. A staring QB probably was under center for less than 10 drives until yesterday. Many other position players are in same boat.

Two Pearson games would be enough if they actually played the starters.
Take away alcohol on Saturdays and college football stadiums would also be half empty. I bet less than half the people in Ames Saturday gave a shit who won the game.

While fantasy football helps because it causes people to watch games where they don't have a rooting interest just because they have fantasy players in that game, I do think most people who watch the NFL regularly have a team that they favor. I just have a hard time buying that there is a bunch of dudes playing fantasy football but are not fans of any of the teams in the NFL.

I played FF many years ago...for one year. Finished second in my league. I found myself needing players to do well even against the Panthers. The coup de grace, though, came when I needed Marion Barber to get six more yards so I would beat the guy I was matched up against. Barber got it on his last run of the game...got the first down...and salted the game away. Cheers!!

Then I remembered that I HATED the f'n Cowboys.

I can't be an NFL fan and enjoy FF. Never had the desire to participate again.

I played FF many years ago...for one year. Finished second in my league. I found myself needing players to do well even against the Panthers. The coup de grace, though, came when I needed Marion Barber to get six more yards so I would beat the guy I was matched up against. Barber got it on his last run of the game...got the first down...and salted the game away. Cheers!!

That's the reason I don't play for money. I'd rather be winless in my fantasy team and see the Colts win the SB then win my fantasy championship and see the Colts do bad.

So I have my priorities and it's always Colts first.

I play in two leagues because the draft and after season parties are a good time. I don't draft anyone from teams I dislike and won't play any players the week they play against the 49ers. I'm not going to hope someone does well against the team I like and won't root for anyone on a team I hate.

I play in two leagues because the draft and after season parties are a good time. I don't draft anyone from teams I dislike and won't play any players the week they play against the 49ers. I'm not going to hope someone does well against the team I like and won't root for anyone on a team I hate.

I'm way too competitive and I know it. If I'm in it, I want to win it. My view on FF for me mirrors that of WOPR on tic-tac-toe, "A strange game.The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?" :)

Regarding #3 . . . Almost any church I've heard of where I live the latest service ends at Noon which is enough time to get home and watch the games that start at 1 pm. Although maybe this is just an Eastern time thing.

That comment was pretty much directed at Lute ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT