ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois State

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001

Five Under-the-Radar FCS Teams to Watch in 2024​

Which teams could surprise folks this year?

2. Illinois State

The Redbirds don’t often get a lot love simply because of where they play and who they play against. The Missouri Valley had six teams qualify for the postseason last fall and yet, Illinois State was still right in the mix and actually had a similar conference record to SIU who made the cut. ISU is close and just needs a few more pieces to push them over the finish line.

Those pieces seem to have come via the portal and, specifically, on the offensive side of the ball. The Redbirds beefed up their O line with the additions of lineman Brandon Smith (Western Michigan) and JJ Guedet (Minnesota). Former Western Michigan tight end Mitch Bartol has also joined the fray as has ex-Kansas State playmakers in QB Jake Rubley and receiver Xavier Loyd. This extra attention to offense is just what Illinois State needed, especially after losing last year’s quarterback Zack Annexstad and top rusher Mason Blakemore.

The other good news for ISU is that they retain several familiar faces. The team’s best receiver, Daniel Sobkowicz, is entering his junior season and is looking to improve on a 933-yard, 10-touchdown showing in 2023. DB Mark Cannon Jr. is also back after leading the team with three picks. It might just be the right mix of new and old for the Redbirds this year as they look to break through the playoff bubble.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Losing to Illinois State opening weekend would really suck, but the entertainment this board would provide would soften the blow quite bit.

Reactions: littlez
Clearly, you dislike KF more than you like the Hawkeyes.
Sad.
That makes no sense based on what I posted. If I said that I wanted Iowa to lose because it would mean one foot out the door for KF, you’d have a point; but csb.

Be a good opponent that will force Iowa to play a competent Game, perfect tune up Game for the Clowns but if Iowa forgets to show up a Game they could drop.

In 2015, Illinois State was ranked #2 preseason with Indiana transfer Tre Roberson coming in to play QB. Fans on this board spent the entire summer warning everyone how Iowa would be lucky to win.

Iowa led 24-0 after 3 quarters and won 31-14.

Will beat them by 4 TDs.
Iowa would have to play seven quarters to score 4 TDs.

That being said, I still expect Iowa to win. It won’t be pretty, but the margin will juuuuust be comfortable enough where folks will breathe a sigh of relief that BF isn’t calling the plays, or (hopefully) the Round Mound of Touchdown (to the other team) doesn’t take a single snap.

Reactions: littlez
Iowa would have to play seven quarters to score 4 TDs.

That being said, I still expect Iowa to win. It won’t be pretty, but the margin will juuuuust be comfortable enough where folks will breathe a sigh of relief that BF isn’t calling the plays, or (hopefully) the Round Mound of Touchdown (to the other team) doesn’t take a single snap.
The line will be 21 points or so.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
In 2015, Illinois State was ranked #2 preseason with Indiana transfer Tre Roberson coming in to play QB. Fans on this board spent the entire summer warning everyone how Iowa would be lucky to win.

Iowa led 24-0 after 3 quarters and won 31-14.
Boogey man syndrome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT