ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Baaaaaaaack....

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Back from 15 days in Spain, where the rain falls mainly on the plain and we clearly weren't on the plain. Nary a cloud to be seen until Madrid. We spent most of our time in an area that is called "Costa Blanca". First 4 days were in Valencia, then Alicante, Benidorm and final 3 days in Madrid. We have taken a lot of great vacations and this one lies near the top, just behind South Africa, Israel and Peru. Each city was different and we found things we liked about each. We have never visited any of these cities. There seems to be no real reason for the area to be called Costa Blanca except possibly for marketing and made up by a British tour company.

Valencia is beautiful, lots of history and architecture, museums, beach with a little gay. Not a ton of gay bars, however. Gay seems to be integrated about the city with "gay friendly" venues. As agnostic/atheist as I am, I love visiting cathedrals. In the Valencia Cathedral we saw the actual Holy Grail. Multiple Popes have celebrated mass with it. I find it interesting how many current churches (Catholic especially) are on sites previously occupied by Mosques and squashed by invasion, etc...
press_release_distribution_0486644_172143.jpg
14280.jpg

Alicante is a beach town with awesome waterfront venues and wide pedestrian esplanades. The main attraction there for us was the "Castle of Santa Barbara". I could explore that place for days. There were also GREAT cocktail bars in Alicante. Among the best in the world we have patronized. There was one gay bar with HORRIBLE service, even by European standards.
1678344__11636462796_large.jpg
explanada-alicante-12.jpg

Benidorm... oh, Benidorm. It's likely the biggest tourist beach party town you've never heard of and is pretty much unknown to Americans. It is frequented by working class Brits and Germans. There is actually a streaming show called Benidorm that we have yet to watch. I have never seen so many gay bars in such a small area as in the Old Town area of Benidorm. There is a "point" that jets out into the Mediterranean separating New Town and Old Town. We didn't make it to New Town. All the raucous bars for the "tradies" and working class tourists are over there... Next visit we'll have to check it out. From Benidorm we visited 2 smaller villages, Villa Joyosa and Altea via a tram that runs the entire length of this coastal area. Many small villages and cities can be visited from one city. In pictures below, the picture on the right is actually to the left of the point in the first picture and not visible. Both pictures comprise the city's coastline.
Benidorm-pano-160410.jpg
7f.jpg

Madrid is a world class city with amazing everything. Can't wait to go back. We did one day trip to Segovia which was beautiful with an amazing castle.
Pic is of Alcaraz castle in Segovia...
The-Alcazar-of-Segovia-2.jpg

It was HOT AF everywhere with the exception of the last couple days in Madrid. I have never sweat so much in my life.

/CSB

My only knowledge of Benidorm is that I heard about Sticky Vicky once. Can't say it's tempted me enough to go there

Back from 15 days in Spain, where the rain falls mainly on the plain and we clearly weren't on the plain. Nary a cloud to be seen until Madrid. We spent most of our time in an area that is called "Costa Blanca". First 4 days were in Valencia, then Alicante, Benidorm and final 3 days in Madrid. We have taken a lot of great vacations and this one lies near the top, just behind South Africa, Israel and Peru. Each city was different and we found things we liked about each. We have never visited any of these cities. There seems to be no real reason for the area to be called Costa Blanca except possibly for marketing and made up by a British tour company.

Valencia is beautiful, lots of history and architecture, museums, beach with a little gay. Not a ton of gay bars, however. Gay seems to be integrated about the city with "gay friendly" venues. As agnostic/atheist as I am, I love visiting cathedrals. In the Valencia Cathedral we saw the actual Holy Grail. Multiple Popes have celebrated mass with it. I find it interesting how many current churches (Catholic especially) are on sites previously occupied by Mosques and squashed by invasion
I hope you made it to Barcelona, my favorite city in Spain. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Valencia is beautiful, lots of history and architecture, museums, beach with a little gay. Not a ton of gay bars, however. Gay seems to be integrated about the city with "gay friendly" venues. As agnostic/atheist as I am, I love visiting cathedrals. In the Valencia Cathedral we saw the actual Holy Grail. Multiple Popes have celebrated mass with it. I find it interesting how many current churches (Catholic especially) are on sites previously occupied by Mosques and squashed by invasion, etc...
press_release_distribution_0486644_172143.jpg
14280.jpg

Alicante is a beach town with awesome waterfront venues and wide pedestrian esplanades. The main attraction there for us was the "Castle of Santa Barbara". I could explore that place for days. There were also GREAT cocktail bars in Alicante. Among the best in the world we have patronized. There was one gay bar with HORRIBLE service, even by European standards.
1678344__11636462796_large.jpg
explanada-alicante-12.jpg

Benidorm... oh, Benidorm. It's likely the biggest tourist beach party town you've never heard of and is pretty much unknown to Americans. It is frequented by working class Brits and Germans. There is actually a streaming show called Benidorm that we have yet to watch. I have never seen so many gay bars in such a small area as in the Old Town area of Benidorm. There is a "point" that jets out into the Mediterranean separating New Town and Old Town. We didn't make it to New Town. All the raucous bars for the "tradies" and working class tourists are over there... Next visit we'll have to check it out. From Benidorm we visited 2 smaller villages, Villa Joyosa and Altea via a tram that runs the entire length of this coastal area. Many small villages and cities can be visited from one city. In pictures below, the picture on the right is actually to the left of the point in the first picture and not visible. Both pictures comprise the city's coastline.
Benidorm-pano-160410.jpg
7f.jpg

Madrid is a world class city with amazing everything. Can't wait to go back. We did one day trip to Segovia which was beautiful with an amazing castle.
Pic is of Alcaraz castle in Segovia...
The-Alcazar-of-Segovia-2.jpg

It was HOT AF everywhere with the exception of the last couple days in Madrid. I have never sweat so much in my life.

/CSB
Was this trip as good as the one to Iowa?

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT