ADVERTISEMENT

IMU Parking Ramp to be Replaced

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In response to the announcement the dance department is in the beginning stages of vacating the aging Halsey Hall, officials on the department’s Facebook page wrote, “We are THRILLED with this news.”

“The renovation, and our move, will take place over time,” according to the post. “At the end of the process, we will have dance studios in sufficient sizes and numbers as well as locker rooms, a classroom, a conference room, student gathering space, a computer lab, warm-up areas, and more — and we will be located in a beautiful space overlooking the river, right next door to our friends in University of Iowa Department of Theatre Arts.”

Halsey Hall was built as a woman’s gymnasium, carries $7 million in deferred maintenance and comes with a string of other deficiencies, including inefficient spaces for dance classes and electrical and mechanical systems that are at capacity. By moving the dance department, the university can renovate its nearby Iowa Memorial Union and adjacent parking ramp.

“Once the Department of Dance and other occupants move out of Halsey Hall, the building will be razed,” according to UI officials. “At that time, the adjacent IMU parking ramp also will be removed, making way for a new, modern parking ramp that will serve the needs of campus visitors, prospective students and families, and those using the IMU across the street.”

As of March, the university had distributed $41 million out of its endowment — which has grown in value from $985.9 million to $1.06 billion, a total that includes previous cross-campus grant distributions.

HalseyHall.jpg

That ramp separates the men from the boys. Obviously, I parked there all the time as a student.
Yep, absolutely. It's not for the faint of heart. I once parked a big Ram pickup in there that barely cleared on height and length, turn radius barely made each level, but no dents or scratches.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Amazing news….never had an issue with it damaging a car….but it was the worst ramp I have ever been in during my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT