ADVERTISEMENT

In the Last 5:44 of the Home Game vs Maryland (2 point loss), IOWA had 0 FGs, 4 Turnovers & 2 Missed Layups

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa's Last FG was with 5:44 to go, where Iowa then led 61-54.

They got outscored 15-6 the rest of the way (six Tony free throws).

For a head coach known for offense, this was a pathetic end of game effort.

I don't understand why Payton Sandfort was the guard help to Harding bringing the ball up against the press. Fran had Dix and Perkings and Payton brought it up and choked with another bad pass....he's had a lot of brain dead turnovers this season.

I don't understand why Payton Sandfort was the guard help to Harding bringing the ball up against the press. Fran had Dix and Perkings and Payton brought it up and choked with another bad pass....he's had a lot of brain dead turnovers this season.

Payton had 2 turnovers for the game. Both were in the final 5:44 of the game.

Harding tripping over his own shoes, Sandfort throwing it to the other team, Kirkke passing up a layup for a contested reverse that got blocked, Freeman endlessly coming down with his hands instead of just staying vertical at his height. Bowen doing his normal aimless dribbling. Sandfort making 0 three pointers on the game, his sole reason for existing. There was lots of failure to go round tonight.

Oh I forgot, Harding poked a ball and Sandfort was parallel with Perkins at half court with no one in front them. Instead of just... passing it to the much faster Tony for an easy dunk, Sandfort dribbles it all the way to the rim and then tries to pass it back to Tony and it gets stolen. Because, you know, the defense can catch up to a running Sandfort. Literally the lowest IQ play I've ever seen Payton make.

Iowa's Last FG was with 5:44 to go, where Iowa then led 61-54.

They got outscored 15-6 the rest of the way (six Tony free throws).

For a head coach known for offense, this was a pathetic end of game effort.

The 4 turnovers were huge and led to at least 2 points (probably more, cannot recall)

Reactions: Franisdaman
I think I just posted yesterday about not caring about Iowa Basketball…it’s because of dozens of losses just like this one over close to 50 years of being a fan.

Payton had 2 turnovers for the game. Both were in the final 5:44 of the game.
Payton had an open layup on a break in the game where he gave up for a behind the back pass to someone who was better guarded lol. I hate some of the 3s he takes without ever setting his feet and then he passes on a layup.

Oh I forgot, Harding poked a ball and Sandfort was parallel with Perkins at half court with no one in front them. Instead of just... passing it to the much faster Tony for an easy dunk, Sandfort dribbles it all the way to the rim and then tries to pass it back to Tony and it gets stolen. Because, you know, the defense can catch up to a running Sandfort. Literally the lowest IQ play I've ever seen Payton make.
Not top ten play of the game.

Brought this up. Nobody had an answer why this happened. Great recognition by Maryland. Terrible execution by Iowa.

I would have gone zone and said make your 3rd straight 3. That is better than giving up a layup.

That was bad,.. screaming at the TV for Payton to feed Tony, but no.

Reactions: unclesammy
While we're pylon Sandfort, how about the fact that he caught the last pass of the game at half court and chucked a 3, with 1.2 seconds left. He could have called the final TO, or caught dribbled towards the basket for a closer chuck of a 3.

All around poor execution by Iowa at the end of that one. Fran's prototype lanky, slow players are made to look worse given his lack of attention to defense. Case in point, P. Sandfort is athletically limited at his position. But he is done no favors by a lack of team defense. It's destined to fail to ask a relatively slow, lanky guy to keep a much quicker guard from getting to the hole when he has no rotational help AND no rim protection.

Reactions: HawkLogic
Brought this up. Nobody had an answer why this happened. Great recognition by Maryland. Terrible execution by Iowa.

I would have gone zone and said make your 3rd straight 3. That is better than giving up a layup.
Exactly what I thought - camp everyone in the lane and make them beat you outside......That would have been easier to live w/ than yet another drive and finish by #1.....I actually expected him to drive and dish to #10 for an open dunk but no need to do that when Iowa gave them an open lane to finish.....

I think I just posted yesterday about not caring about Iowa Basketball…it’s because of dozens of losses just like this one over close to 50 years of being a fan.

Yesterday's game had a 6:00 pm CT Tip. Weather was good.

Attendance (tickets distributed): 8,532

Actual scanned tickets (butts in the seats)? Lower number.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Stupid fing pass
Honestly I would have sat him the rest of the game. I’m okay with flashy passes if it serves a purpose but he hasn’t really shown he has the ability to determine when it’s a good time to pull one off

Honestly I would have sat him the rest of the game. I’m okay with flashy passes if it serves a purpose but he hasn’t really shown he has the ability to determine when it’s a good time to pull one off
He is pretty consistent in making bad decisions IMO.

Yesterday's game had a 6:00 pm CT Tip. Weather was good.

Attendance (tickets distributed): 8,532

Actual scanned tickets (butts in the seats)? Lower number.
This used to be unheard of for a conference home game.

Is this down to Lickliter levels yet? Seems I read that those were even worse, but still...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT