ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming wrestlers

TY, I know someone has to know who this is now. Still not me as I do not live in IOWA!

Brennan Swafford couldn't beat Wartburg's Kyle Briggs, Iowa State's Julien Broderson, or UNI's Lance Runyon. Sorry to burst one's bubble but the Iowa wrestling program is MUCH MORE stout than any of the other three. Certainly nothing wrong with reaching for the stars, but this transfer seems very unrealistic, considering it's a transfer into the country's ELITE wrestling program.

Brennan Swafford couldn't beat Wartburg's Kyle Briggs, Iowa State's Julien Broderson, or UNI's Lance Runyon. Sorry to burst one's bubble but the Iowa wrestling program is MUCH MORE stout than any of the other three. Certainly nothing wrong with reaching for the stars, but this transfer seems very unrealistic, considering it's a transfer into the country's ELITE wrestling program.

THIS! Yeah the kid needs to actually win something first before he starts literally believing that he should pursue something at a higher level... Kid must be a glutton for punishment!

You must know him pretty well considering how great of a take this is!

I have personally witnessed him capture (2) NAIA National Titles at 174 for Graceland, but that DOES NOT equate into finding the mat inside the University of Iowa's room. The Division 1 wrestler is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT animal.

You might be the only one in the thread who doesn't know PinDoxRico is Swafford's brother. He probably knows more about whether this is a possibility than you do. A tough, tough road to the lineup for Swafford but it's his career/life to do with it as he pleases.

Well, if Swafford wants to come and challenge himself to be the best wrestler he can be and battle for a starting spot on the best team in the country, I’d say “Welcome aboard”.

You get what you earn. Come earn a starting spot and get on that awards stand and keep the Hawkeye train rolling. And if he doesn’t earn a starting spot, help the starter get on the awards stand and keep the Hawkeye train rolling.

He may not be Shane Griffith or Real Woods, but he can (and hopefully will) be a very valuable member of the team. So I’m not seeing any reason to put him down or be disappointed with him coming. He has done an awful lot of winning and is chasing his dream.

I have personally witnessed him capture (2) NAIA National Titles at 174 for Graceland, but that DOES NOT equate into finding the mat inside the University of Iowa's room. The Division 1 wrestler is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT animal.

Wow.... your description of the Division 1 level is something that none of us were ever aware of... This changes EVERYTHING in terms of how we perceive the weight of this situation.

We heard the same takes about Foster who ironically grew up a few miles down the road from us and my dad coached from age 6 til the time he graduated HS... every year for 5 years to be exact... He ended up being relatively decent...

I do understand that this board has high standards and that is awesome, for ya should... It’s the best wrestling program in the history of wrestling. However, sometimes these high standards can bring out the total cynic out of people, which is to be expected until proven otherwise, but it’s still no reason to totally neglect upside.

I’m not gonna claim that he will or will not accomplish whatever he does IF this does indeed happen, but FWIW....he’s been a crowd/area favorite in every wrestling community he’s been part of ever since he began wrestling. He’s really fun. He’s aggressive almost to a fault, scramble-happy as hell, dangerous and one of the quickest 174 lbers you’ll ever see. IF this happens, I hope you guys end up liking him, for then we will know that he reached the true “pinnacle” of wrestling given the high standards here.

You might be the only one in the thread who doesn't know PinDoxRico is Swafford's brother. He probably knows more about whether this is a possibility than you do. A tough, tough road to the lineup for Swafford but it's his career/life to do with it as he pleases.
Hey Spooner--
It's not to damn difficult to figure it out it's a Swafford posting with the "Pin Doctors" insignia under each post. Furthermore, I never SAID he couldn't transfer into the Iowa program, but rather would simply be exhausting his eligibility, as he would unlikely/unrealistic never see the line-up. Does that make any sense?

Wow.... your description of the Division 1 level is something that none of us were ever aware of... This changes EVERYTHING in terms of how we perceive the weight of this situation.

We heard the same takes about Foster who ironically grew up a few miles down the road from us and my dad coached from age 6 til the time he graduated HS... every year for 5 years to be exact... He ended up being relatively decent...

I do understand that this board has high standards and that is awesome, for ya should... It’s the best wrestling program in the history of wrestling. However, sometimes these high standards can bring out the total cynic out of people, which is to be expected until proven otherwise, but it’s still no reason to totally neglect upside.

I’m not gonna claim that he will or will not accomplish whatever he does IF this does indeed happen, but FWIW....he’s been a crowd/area favorite in every wrestling community he’s been part of ever since he began wrestling. He’s really fun. He’s aggressive almost to a fault, scramble-happy as hell, dangerous and one of the quickest 174 lbers you’ll ever see. IF this happens, I hope you guys end up liking him, for then we will know that he reached the true “pinnacle” of wrestling given the high standards here.
Like him? What's not to like? Come on in and do what you can. Most people here clearly acknowledge the importance of every guy in that room and it's always been that way IMO. So if he ends up at Iowa, then great, welcome aboard and good luck.

Truly appreciate how proud you might be of Brennan's accomplishments. However, you referenced an earlier post regarding the transfer. I certainly did not. And by the way, I have never spoke ANYTHING negative regarding Drew Foster. Others very well may have gave you this impression---but not I.

Hey Spooner--
It's not to damn difficult to figure it out it's a Swafford posting with the "Pin Doctors" insignia under each post. Furthermore, I never SAID he couldn't transfer into the Iowa program, but rather would simply be exhausting his eligibility, as he would unlikely/unrealistic never see the line-up. Does that make any sense?

That's actually not what you said. This clarification makes your posts more sensical. Thanks.

One cool thing is that I’ll finally have a D1 team to be a full-fledged homer for. I grew up a Notre Dame Irish fan in football and basically have always just rooted for individual wrestlers I like for whatever reason. Most of these ended up being Hawkeyes because these are the guys we grew up watching. Some of our faves were; Zaputil (all time fave), Brands twins, Travis Fiser, Erik Akin, The Gibbons bros, Wade Schalles (he was ahead of my time, but my dad’s fave and he had tons of VHS videos of him), Juergens, Jeff Jaggers, Randy Pugh, Jason Payne, etc... I Despise Cornell and Okie State... I dunno, but that’s been my stance since I was a kid... then my brother Justin joined UNI... So there was a lot of purple in my house for a while. But I’ve never been “all-in” on a wrestling team in terms of fandom, but IF this happens, you guys will have a huge Hawkeye fanboy on your hands who will unapologetically and incessantly post “Pro-Hawkeye” stuff on his own wrestling platform that isn’t huge, but isn’t exactly small either. Lol, will change the quote on the header image to a former Hawk quote and all..lol may even change the color theme to Black and Yellow. 😀

Brennan is the one member of my family who has been an adamant Hawkeyes fan since day 1 and hasn’t budged from that at all.

And this is the reel for last year’s season for those who haven’t written him off yet... I’m working on his 2020-2021 reel now... his season just concluded Saturday. He went 18-0 with 9 falls, 5 MD’s and 4 Decisions. He also won his 2nd NAIA Championship...

Last edited:
Truly appreciate how proud you might be of Brennan's accomplishments. However, you referenced an earlier post regarding the transfer. I certainly did not. And by the way, I have never spoke ANYTHING negative regarding Drew Foster. Others very well may have gave you this impression---but not I.

Dude, you are reading me wrong. I never said you wrote anything about Drew, just that we used to hear similar comments about him. Sorry if it came off as if I were insinuating that.

We’re good, dude... I’ve been posting on various forums for 20 years now... I expected people to have doubts and it doesn’t bother me at all. I mean, why wouldn’t there be? He hasn’t wrestled even a practice at the D1 level yet... Believe it or not, as while my bias may cause me to think your takes on Brennan are off, I do respect it and understand why you would have the takes you do....

He has to earn it. We know this, he knows this. He says he’s eager to accept the challenge... GAME ON!

One cool thing is that I’ll finally have a D1 team to be a full-fledged homer for. I grew up a Notre Dame Irish fan in football and basically have always just rooted for individual wrestlers I like for whatever reason. Most of these ended up being Hawkeyes because these are the guys we grew up watching. Some of our faves were; Zaputil (all time fave), Brands twins, Travis Fiser, Erik Akin, The Gibbons bros, Wade Schalles (he was ahead of my time, but my dad’s fave and he had tons of VHS videos of him), Juergens, Jeff Jaggers, Randy Pugh, Jason Payne, etc... I Despise Cornell and Okie State... I dunno, but that’s been my stance since I was a kid... then my brother Justin joined UNI... So there was a lot of purple in my house for a while. But I’ve never been “all-in” on a wrestling team in terms of fandom, but IF this happens, you guys will have a huge Hawkeye fanboy on your hands who will unapologetically and incessantly post “Pro-Hawkeye” stuff on his own wrestling platform that isn’t huge, but isn’t exactly small either. Lol, will change the quote on the header image to a former Hawk quote and all..lol may even change the color theme to Black and Yellow. 😀

Brennan is the one member of my family who has been an adamant Hawkeyes fan since day 1 and hasn’t budged from that at all.

And this is the reel for last year’s season for those who haven’t written him off yet... I’m working on his 2020-2021 reel now... his season just concluded Saturday. He went 18-0 with 9 falls, 5 MD’s and 4 Decisions.

Always good to get more SE Iowa kids to root for! I’ll be pulling for him. Go Hawks!

if you going to get insulted every time someone doesn't gush over little brother, you might want to avoid hr after he transfers in.

Lol, I most certainly am a sucker for the gushing!

Haha I can take it, though...trust me. I would at least know when to avoid... Would prolly avoid if he were to have a bad match or something.

Speaking of SE Iowa wrestlers... what about Robert Avilla Jr and Marcel Lopez? Any chance they will come to bring room depth, or are they more likely to go to UNI?

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Ryan Niven of Grandview is the guy who beat him 3-1 but I can't tell who beat Niven later.

Ugh, can't get these images to attach...

2018-2019 season, Niven beat Griffith 3-1.

A month or two later, Niven was defeated by Brennan Swafford from Graceland in the Heart of America Conference finals... 7-6.

And this is the reel for last year’s season for those who haven’t written him off yet... I’m working on his 2020-2021 reel now... his season just concluded Saturday. He went 18-0 with 9 falls, 5 MD’s and 4 Decisions. He also won his 2nd NAIA Championship...

He moves extremely well. If he gets his size and strength up (which Iowa is know for-kemdawg) there might be something there. JMO. He’s obviously talented. I wish him the best...especially if he’s a hawk.

I was very impressed with many of the Iowa youngsters who wrestled for Kong United this past weekend at the Winter Throne Duals in South Carolina...

Granted the level of competition was perhaps a little lower than initially expected, but they were dominant nonetheless!!

Avila, Kueter, Riggins, and Tate Naaktgeboren combined to go 24-0!!!

As members of the "A" team, the first two helped KU cruise to the team hardware!

Last edited:
a mean csn dream. Next year any chance Eirman goes 149, Desanto 141, Lee 133, and drake (or whoever) at 125? I just want to see Lee at 133lbs but since iowa has a top 5 133lber it’s never going to happen.

hypothetical question. If Desanto was leaving do you think Lee would want to move up for the greater challenge?

a mean csn dream. Next year any chance Eirman goes 149, Desanto 141, Lee 133, and drake (or whoever) at 125? I just want to see Lee at 133lbs but since iowa has a top 5 133lber it’s never going to happen.

hypothetical question. If Desanto was leaving do you think Lee would want to move up for the greater challenge?
Why would he? He already beat last year's 133 lb. Champion in Suriano. He beat 4x AA and National Champion Tomasello. How many more "challenges" do you think he needs?

He's trying to win 4 Titles and make Olympic Teams at what appears to be a good weight for him. There is no benefit team wise.

Eireman appears to want another shot at Yianni, unless Yianni moves up, and I doubt Eireman would follow.

The Hawk lineup you see right now figures to be the exact same lineup, with the possible exception of Assad at 184. No Coach in there right mind would mess with that.

Last edited:

Doubtful on both I’d say with the international weight being just a bit over 125 # Spencer will compete at 125 and dominate once again. Hopefully with COVID retreating out of the forefront of sports, I see him doing some freestyle next year. Lineup next year expected to be the same as this year with 184 being a possible exception.

Dude, you are reading me wrong. I never said you wrote anything about Drew, just that we used to hear similar comments about him. Sorry if it came off as if I were insinuating that.

We’re good, dude... I’ve been posting on various forums for 20 years now... I expected people to have doubts and it doesn’t bother me at all. I mean, why wouldn’t there be? He hasn’t wrestled even a practice at the D1 level yet... Believe it or not, as while my bias may cause me to think your takes on Brennan are off, I do respect it and understand why you would have the takes you do....

He has to earn it. We know this, he knows this. He says he’s eager to accept the challenge... GAME ON!
He has to earn it, exactly. There have been many that have done such things, no reason your brother cannot do the same. The video shows he has extremely good skills, he will need to hone those skills to a level he may not even understand yet. The great thing is you have stated already he understands this and the Iowa guys will do everything possible to get it out of him! Good luck to him, we are behind him all the way. “Get what you EARN”

He has to earn it, exactly. There have been many that have done such things, no reason your brother cannot do the same. The video shows he has extremely good skills, he will need to hone those skills to a level he may not even understand yet. The great thing is you have stated already he understands this and the Iowa guys will do everything possible to get it out of him! Good luck to him, we are behind him all the way. “Get what you EARN”

Yep...definitely has parts in his game that are still raw, but everything with him is correctable. And he learns quickly. One thing that’s affected him quite a bit was his last two years in HS, he had no one in the room to push him, like at all. And at Graceland he’s got a few great partners, but it’s not D1 caliber. I don’t know the last time he worked out in a room that he didn’t just totally own... So the fact that he will have D1 level practice partners is going to be huge for him and should be interesting to see... he adapts quickly and it will be awesome if he continues to adapt at the highest level.

1 redshirt season, 2 competitive seasons... anything that needs to be fine-tuned or kinked out with him, he will have plenty of time to get there with a redshirt season. He’s one of the most athletically gifted guys to come out of Southeast Iowa ever...Skills you can’t teach or coach a kid to have. And the areas that need work? All correctable if he buys in and spends the time necessary to fix them.

Frankly, while he has always been a hard, diligent worker and what-not, he has relied quite a bit on his athleticism in the past. He has never really been in a situation where his athleticism wasn’t enough for him to rely on to win. He told me today that one of the things that he’s most eager about is being given the chance to be in a situation where he knows he can’t take half-measures because of his athleticism because that alone will not get you by at the D1 level and he’s fully aware of that. He said he’s very eager to show the world how he is capable of matching his athleticism with his technique/mat-skills.

I do want to clarify something in regards to this post...

Fleming wrote that Brennan couldn’t beat Broderson, Briggs or Runyon.... this is not because Brennan has lost against any of those guys. He hasn’t wrestled any of them with an exception of a little Kindergarten-4th grade rivalry with Broderson. He wrote that because it’s his opinion that he WOULDN’T beat them IF they met up. Not because they already did and he “couldn’t” beat them.

And obviously I don’t share this opinion.

I do want to clarify something in regards to this post...

Fleming wrote that Brennan couldn’t beat Broderson, Briggs or Runyon.... this is not because Brennan has lost against any of those guys. He hasn’t wrestled any of them with an exception of a little Kindergarten-4th grade rivalry with Broderson. He wrote that because it’s his opinion that he WOULDN’T beat them IF they met up. Not because they already did and he “couldn’t” beat them.

And obviously I don’t share this opinion.
I don't think you've really said other than his desire to join the Hawks, but is this a done deal? Already approached the Staff about a spot, that sort of thing?

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder or anything about an announcement later or whatever, but I didn't bring it up. Ha!

And I know I've told you this before, but I really enjoy your articles, you do a great job with that IMO.

I don't think you've really said other than his desire to join the Hawks, but is this a done deal? Already approached the Staff about a spot, that sort of thing?

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder or anything about an announcement later or whatever, but I didn't bring it up. Ha!

And I know I've told you this before, but I really enjoy your articles, you do a great job with that IMO.

Not a done deal, but permission has been granted from both his HC and Brennan himself, of course for Iowa to be in contact with him and recruit him. That was finalized last week. Brennan’s coaches at Graceland have been a Godsend for him. They have been supportive of him since Day 1 and are very understanding of his desire to want to see how he can do at a higher level. They did a great job with him these last 3 years.

Both sides have gone through the initial phases of this process in such professional fashion from what I’ve heard.

A big factor was his gf. He is dating Maddie Mashek (Tom’s daughter, Dan’s granddaughter) and they are pretty serious. She is all for it. In fact, she wants him to do it... so that was a huge thing as well.

Last edited:
Not a done deal, but permission has been granted from both his HC and Brennan himself, of course for Iowa to be in contact with him and recruit him. That was finalized last week. Brennan’s coaches at Graceland have been a Godsend for him. They have been supportive of him since Day 1 and are very understanding of his desire to want to see how he can do at a higher level. They did a great job with him these last 3 years.

Both sides have gone through the initial phases of this process in such professional fashion from what I’ve heard.

A big factor was his gf. He is dating Maddie Mashek (Tom’s daughter, Dan’s granddaughter) and they are pretty serious. She is all for it. In fact, she wants him to do it... so that was a huge thing as well.
Hopefully, we’ll be saying welcome aboard soon. Gotta give your brother credit for chasing his dream. Do you see him as a 174 lber?

Hopefully, we’ll be saying welcome aboard soon. Gotta give your brother credit for chasing his dream. Do you see him as a 174 lber?

Yes I do... Won it (NAIA Nats) at 165 last year. The cut became grueling and he wanted a new challenge so he bumped up to 174 this year... and won it again there. He feels good and looks fast as hell at 174.... we thought the bump in weight may make him lose a step... shoot. He’s faster than he was last year.

you are a great dude, i’ve talked to you personally rico and this is awesome news! my cousin got 2nd at kirkwood and ended up a two time AA for the hawks..nothing is a given or impossible

We met? Cool, hit me up again if ya see me! That’s awesome about your cousin!

We all know it’s gonna be a steep slope for him, especially when he first becomes acclimated to a D1 regiment.... But we are all very confident in him. He’s seriously been just so fun to watch. Not saying that because he’s my brother... I loved watching my other 2 brothers and no disrespect to them, but Brennan is 5X more fun to watch than they were. People from SEI know what he’s like... I can’t wait for more to see it!

Thanks for the nice words!

Thanks for the info. I know someone can't just walk in and say "I'm here and looking to kick Kem and The Bull's ass, where's the locker room!". Ha!

Roster limits and all that fun stuff. Hope it all works out for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT