ADVERTISEMENT

Why not shake things up?

4net3sandbagger

Scout Team
Silver Member
May 21, 2023
I see a ton of comments on these threads about changing things up, but also comments about "not enough experience" or "doesn't fit the mold". Why not?

Iowa has arguably the most loyal fans in college wrestling. It has an amazing home match atmosphere, and a storied history. I would think the fans would be there even thru an "experiment".

Admittedly, I'm an outsider. But any true wrestling fan wants to see Iowa fighting at the top. Why not take a flier on some young coaches? I personally love watching old highlights of Tom Brands wrestling. I love his style. I just don't think he has the pulse of today's top recruits or their parents for that matter.

Reactions: el dub
Shaking Extra Terrestrial GIF by DefyTV

The Rock Shake GIF

Patrick Stewart Dancing GIF

booty shake GIF

Reactions: SDHN2013 and tack8
I see a ton of comments on these threads about changing things up, but also comments about "not enough experience" or "doesn't fit the mold". Why not?

Iowa has arguably the most loyal fans in college wrestling. It has an amazing home match atmosphere, and a storied history. I would think the fans would be there even thru an "experiment".

Admittedly, I'm an outsider. But any true wrestling fan wants to see Iowa fighting at the top. Why not take a flier on some young coaches? I personally love watching old highlights of Tom Brands wrestling. I love his style. I just don't think he has the pulse of today's top recruits or their parents for that matter.
Thanks for trolling us. Your idea would be fine if we were performing like some average program with nothing to lose. Top 5 programs have to be very careful lest they become top 20 programs in a heartbeat. (See Oklahoma) Has anyone other than Carl recruited significantly better than Iowa over the years?

I'm more concerned about development. I'd like to see some of the young coaches that you talk about as assistant coaches at Iowa. Maybe our current crop of assistants should be pursuing head coaching jobs at other colleges, not just collecting their rather generous assistant's salaries at Iowa.

Last edited:
Thanks for trolling.
Trolling?!?! Really? Genuinely curious. I'm not necessarily talking about immediate. Just a plan. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is an Iowa hater. Just wanted some insight on how those closer to the program would feel about looking outside the room.

An established program like Iowa does NOT “experiment” with something as serious as a Head Coach. This is especially true when you are the clear #2 program over the past 15 years, where the #1 is on pace to be the most dominant DI wrestling team in the modern era.

If Iowa were to replace Brandsx2, it would be a heavily vetted process where there was essentially NO DOUBT that the new staff would produce significantly better. To be clear, I see ZERO prospects that have a realistic chance of getting any closer to PSU than Brands has.

I would argue that Michigan’s staff is probably the closest after Iowa and even with top flight resources and facilities they aren’t legitimately going to challenge for titles any time soon. You can keep throwing out names like Burroughs, Dake or Taylor, but none of them have legit DI coaching experience and could just as easily fall flat on their face as the CEO of such a marquee program.

Remember, great wrestlers are by no means guaranteed to be great coaches…

By any measure, PSU has been the top dog since 2011. Since he was hired, the only time Iowa has finished outside of the top 5 was in Brands's first year. He is the only one to do this to include Cael. Besides tOSU in 2015, Iowa has been the only team to finish on top (2020,2021). In the last two years, Iowa has finished 3rd and 2nd. By all measures, Iowa continues to be one of the top programs. If we are eating PSU's dust, others overslept and didn't even make it to the starting line on time.

Brands and Iowa are the only team to be held to these standards by outsiders and its own fans. For example, Michigan (another top program) just got beat by SDSU. In this dual, they sat a lot of their starters. Last year, they sat starters against us losing 33-8. Even though you are not a regular poster on here, you probably can imagine the apoplectic shit storm that would ensue here on HR alone. Since it was Michigan, not really a blip. Same with Cornell who sat healthy starters against Iowa State. Yea, their coach caught a rash of shit on Twitter but only because those same guys wrestled in a previous dual that day. Hell, even Cael took the year off in 2015 and redshirted some studs in a reload maneuver which ultimately paid dividends. Their fans knew the score and were good with it. Still, what other sport does this? Brands hasn't and won't. This isn't to say he hasn't strategically sat guys in duals.

Being #1 and producing national champs is the standard and Iowa has fallen short in both categories. Tom would wholeheartedly agree. But shouldn't that be the standard for everybody? If so, why aren't we talking about Ryan at tOSU who has finished 13,9,4 in the last 3 years. Brian Smith at Missouri is lauded as a guru and their teams regularly fall flat at NCAAs finishing 7,9,5. For Brands, those finishes would be fireable offenses.

Wrestling is not like football or basketball where a team can fire a coach, hire a new one, and reload. The only two that have recently done it are Cael and Tom. Elite recruits, real difference makers at NCAAs are rare. Examine Iowa State; they fired KJ and it has taken Dresser 6 years to develop a team that can compete with Iowa and they still lost the dual because Brands ate Dresser's lunch.

Having a large fanbase is great but I don't know how much it contributes to getting recruits. The spotlight is always on and our unrealistic expectations are only outdone by our sense of entitlement. Reminds me of that old saying: "I have met the enemy and he is us." Wrestling is a very small community compared to football or basketball...recruits and parents see these message boards because we are one of the few heavily trafficked wrestling forums. So when a guy wrestles like crap and gets shit on by fans, it's a bad look. For an Iowa or PSU QB, its just another day because they know the deal playing ball for a top program.

Anyways, some light TLDR that is really a response to multiple posts on this forum.

An established program like Iowa does NOT “experiment” with something as serious as a Head Coach. This is especially true when you are the clear #2 program over the past 15 years, where the #1 is on pace to be the most dominant DI wrestling team in the modern era.

If Iowa were to replace Brandsx2, it would be a heavily vetted process where there was essentially NO DOUBT that the new staff would produce significantly better. To be clear, I see ZERO prospects that have a realistic chance of getting any closer to PSU than Brands has.

I would argue that Michigan’s staff is probably the closest after Iowa and even with top flight resources and facilities they aren’t legitimately going to challenge for titles any time soon. You can keep throwing out names like Burroughs, Dake or Taylor, but none of them have legit DI coaching experience and could just as easily fall flat on their face as the CEO of such a marquee program.

I disagree with your NO DOUBT comment. Iowa has to play the long game which may mean taking a step back in the short term to build a stronger, more consistent program. Yes, this involves taking risks but so does maintaining the status quo.

Reactions: el dub
I disagree with your NO DOUBT comment. Iowa has to play the long game which may mean taking a step back in the short term to build a stronger, more consistent program. Yes, this involves taking risks but so does maintaining the status quo.
I am not arguing with what you want to happen. I am TELLING you what the actual University will do. It is still an institution with plenty of business like tendencies. You don't just hire based on fans' wants. Now, if Iowa were falling off the map in Zalesky like fashion, there would possibly be more pressure to make a "splash" hire. But, that hasn't remotely happened. If you are going to replace someone at the level of Brands, you are going to take the time to research and vet any prospect to the point that the data overwhelmingly supports the likelihood of better results...

By any measure, PSU has been the top dog since 2011. Since he was hired, the only time Iowa has finished outside of the top 5 was in Brands's first year. He is the only one to do this to include Cael. Besides tOSU in 2015, Iowa has been the only team to finish on top (2020,2021). In the last two years, Iowa has finished 3rd and 2nd. By all measures, Iowa continues to be one of the top programs. If we are eating PSU's dust, others overslept and didn't even make it to the starting line on time.

Brands and Iowa are the only team to be held to these standards by outsiders and its own fans. For example, Michigan (another top program) just got beat by SDSU. In this dual, they sat a lot of their starters. Last year, they sat starters against us losing 33-8. Even though you are not a regular poster on here, you probably can imagine the apoplectic shit storm that would ensue here on HR alone. Since it was Michigan, not really a blip. Same with Cornell who sat healthy starters against Iowa State. Yea, their coach caught a rash of shit on Twitter but only because those same guys wrestled in a previous dual that day. Hell, even Cael took the year off in 2015 and redshirted some studs in a reload maneuver which ultimately paid dividends. Their fans knew the score and were good with it. Still, what other sport does this? Brands hasn't and won't. This isn't to say he hasn't strategically sat guys in duals.

Being #1 and producing national champs is the standard and Iowa has fallen short in both categories. Tom would wholeheartedly agree. But shouldn't that be the standard for everybody? If so, why aren't we talking about Ryan at tOSU who has finished 13,9,4 in the last 3 years. Brian Smith at Missouri is lauded as a guru and their teams regularly fall flat at NCAAs finishing 7,9,5. For Brands, those finishes would be fireable offenses.

Wrestling is not like football or basketball where a team can fire a coach, hire a new one, and reload. The only two that have recently done it are Cael and Tom. Elite recruits, real difference makers at NCAAs are rare. Examine Iowa State; they fired KJ and it has taken Dresser 6 years to develop a team that can compete with Iowa and they still lost the dual because Brands ate Dresser's lunch.

Having a large fanbase is great but I don't know how much it contributes to getting recruits. The spotlight is always on and our unrealistic expectations are only outdone by our sense of entitlement. Reminds me of that old saying: "I have met the enemy and he is us." Wrestling is a very small community compared to football or basketball...recruits and parents see these message boards because we are one of the few heavily trafficked wrestling forums. So when a guy wrestles like crap and gets shit on by fans, it's a bad look. For an Iowa or PSU QB, its just another day because they know the deal playing ball for a top program.

Anyways, some light TLDR that is really a response to multiple posts on this forum.
So much this. Great job, per usual, Chief

. The spotlight is always on and our unrealistic expectations are only outdone by our sense of entitlement.
As someone much closer to the program than I am, I am quite happy to see you acknowledge this. I even understand why you are allowed to, while I was chastised for it.

I get that many want Iowa to be not only even with PSU, but surpass them. However, I just don't see many realistic suggestions as to why or, more importantly, how that should happen. Do they think there are guys out there that want it more than the Brands do? Do they think there are guys out there that would work harder than the Brands do to try to make that happen?

Let's be crystal clear. Being the Head Coach of Iowa is NOT an easy job. In fact, I would say it is BY FAR the hardest in all of College Wrestling. The amount of pressure to succeed is beyond anything any other coach has experienced. Sanderson has built a monster at PSU, but I guarantee there is no pressure put on him by ANYONE, but himself.

Many seem to think Brands is benefitting from all the "built in advantages" Iowa provides. As such, many simply think a popular, fresh name could just walk in and automatically do as well, while substantially recruiting better. There are SO many risks involved with this mindset. Not only could these guys fall flat on their faces, but what guarantees are there that they don't leave for a different job they want more.

Brands is a perfect example of this. I completely understand why he left VTech for Iowa. No one should have been surprised that a guy that bleeds Iowa blood jumped at that chance. But, at the time VTech didn't consider that and, even if they did, their position made it worth the risk. VTech almost shut down their program and were very lucky Dresser was right in their backyard to take the job. If something like that happened to Iowa, I have no clue how long it would take them to recover and what level would it actually be considered a recovery?

THIS.

Being number one and champions should be the standard for everyone but realistically it is not. That is like saying winning a national championship in football should be the same standard for Iowa and Alabama. It's just not going to be the case. Iowa has history, fans, money, facilities, etc. that other programs don't have. I would be okay if Iowa was closing the gap on PSU, but if anything it feels like things are farther off. They keep adding talent and we don't. They keep winning titles (team and individual) and we are not. With AJ in the fold I could see next year's team making a leap but without him, we have gaping holes at 125 or 33 depending on Ayala, 157, 197, and possibly hwy. Not looking good.

Well stated, as always, Chief.

Why does everyone in these parts seem to think Spencer is the answer as the next HC? Other than his profile and the love affair yinz have with him, is he really the answer for the program?

I also dont know why DT continues to come up as a coach at anywhere but PSU. He has built an empire in state college and has a wonderful life here. You nor anyone else in D1 wrestling have the kind of cash that it would take to get him to leave Happy Valley and what is already rolling.

Chief you continue to be a breath of fresh air on this hell site. Thanks for continuing to be you.

Being number one and champions should be the standard for everyone but realistically it is not. That is like saying winning a national championship in football should be the same standard for Iowa and Alabama. It's just not going to be the case. Iowa has history, fans, money, facilities, etc. that other programs don't have. I would be okay if Iowa was closing the gap on PSU, but if anything it feels like things are farther off. They keep adding talent and we don't. They keep winning titles (team and individual) and we are not. With AJ in the fold I could see next year's team making a leap but without him, we have gaping holes at 125 or 33 depending on Ayala, 157, 197, and possibly hwy. Not looking good.
Don't you mean "Not looking good enough?" As Chief explained, the expectations of Iowa wrestling fans aren't like those at any other school except PSU. If they were, then Tom Ryan and John Smith would have been looking for new jobs many moons ago.

Why does everyone in these parts seem to think Spencer is the answer as the next HC? Other than his profile and the love affair yinz have with him, is he really the answer for the program?

I also dont know why DT continues to come up as a coach at anywhere but PSU. He has built an empire in state college and has a wonderful life here. You nor anyone else in D1 wrestling have the kind of cash that it would take to get him to leave Happy Valley and what is already rolling.

Chief you continue to be a breath of fresh air on this hell site. Thanks for continuing to be you.
Wishfiul thinking? I like Spencer, too, so why not?

As for DT, I don't know why he comes up either. Glad that he's happy in Happy Valley. Never leave.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Wishfiul thinking? I like Spencer, too, so why not?

As for DT, I don't know why he comes up either. Glad that he's happy in Happy Valley. Never leave.
Because he checks a lot of boxes similar to other great coaches of the recent past. Wrestling credentials NCAA champ, World and Olympic champ. Dynamic skill set. He’s starting a successful club…so actually coaching. He’s been part of the most successful team of the last 15 years so has some insight into what it takes. His interviews have him appearing charismatic. He would have the ability to bring in high level recruits.
Not suggesting he would ever coach anywhere but PSU. But Gable moved and so did Sanderson. You have to shake the tree.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Because he checks a lot of boxes similar to other great coaches of the recent past. Wrestling credentials NCAA champ, World and Olympic champ. Dynamic skill set. He’s starting a successful club…so actually coaching. He’s been part of the most successful team of the last 15 years so has some insight into what it takes. His interviews have him appearing charismatic. He would have the ability to bring in high level recruits.
Not suggesting he would ever coach anywhere but PSU. But Gable moved and so did Sanderson. You have to shake the tree.
He just doesn't fit in Iowa City. Maybe tOSU after Ryan leaves?

Why do you read and/or post here if it's such a hell site??
Personally, I hope DT never has any position with Iowa Wrestling or HWC.

The University of Iowa definitely has the money to pull him from PSU, the only question that should be asked is: do they want to spend it?

The answer is no, especially for what would probably be a rental unless he was promised the HC position after Brands, which isn't happening.

And I hope they never do. I'm not a Taylor fan and never will be. If we were to go after someone of that pedigree I'd rather it be Dake, who's actually been complimentary of IC and the surrounding communities.

Pencil Kennedy in at 157 if he wants to wrestle for Iowa.

The University of Iowa definitely has the money to pull him from PSU, the only question that should be asked is: do they want to spend it?

The answer is no, especially for what would probably be a rental unless he was promised the HC position after Brands, which isn't happening.

And I hope they never do. I'm not a Taylor fan and never will be. If we were to go after someone of that pedigree I'd rather it be Dake, who's actually been complimentary of IC and the surrounding communities.
And that's a big deal. We need coaches with kind feelings towards the State of Iowa, not just another mercenary who moves where the money takes them. Some people fit. Some don't. DT won't.

Since he was hired, the only time Iowa has finished outside of the top 5 was in Brands's first year. He is the only one to do this to include Cael.

Your stat got me thinking about this year.

Iowa graduated 3 staples in the lineup(Lee, Warner, and Murin). Then comes the off season from hell. After the dust settled, Iowa had to replace 7 starters. 70% of the lineup from last year gone.

I understand that a majority of the issues were self-inflicted, but still amazing to me that after all of this, Iowa is right in the thick of things for a team trophy. I find it very hard to picture any other school being able to recover this quickly from a 70% turnover rate.

Hell, if Iowa gets 2nd at Nattys, maybe Brands should be coach of the year 😉

Dake went to cornell and DT is very smart. If Brands figured it out, I’m sure those two could.

Nailed it.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Nailed it.
I’ll argue that Iowa became Iowa due to gable. I don’t think many younger fans get how big he was in the early 70s. I think life magazine even did a feature story on him. Yeah, I’m that old, sixty. He was my gold meddl winner before he was Iowa’s rookie coach.

Then he built a machine. It took near forty years until the next came around and the circumstances are similar . A legendary wrestler landing in a great situation and area. Arguably better than Iowa in the mid 70s. Add in all the modern stuff they have available now in sports medicine, psychology, training and such in the country’s best wrestling area and you have the current psu team.

I always wondered why psu didn’t do better with their geographic advantages but now I know. You needed it all , a great coach and the commitment to him to help him succeed.

Reactions: hlstone
Your stat got me thinking about this year.

Iowa graduated 3 staples in the lineup(Lee, Warner, and Murin). Then comes the off season from hell. After the dust settled, Iowa had to replace 7 starters. 70% of the lineup from last year gone.

I understand that a majority of the issues were self-inflicted, but still amazing to me that after all of this, Iowa is right in the thick of things for a team trophy. I find it very hard to picture any other school being able to recover this quickly from a 70% turnover rate.

Hell, if Iowa gets 2nd at Nattys, maybe Brands should be coach of the year 😉
This.

What about Jody Stritmatter?
I don't see Jody leaving Western Pa at this stage of his life. I could see him taking over the reigns at UPJ where legendary coach Pat Pecora is fighting cancer but even with that i think it would be a short stint.

Trolling?!?! Really? Genuinely curious. I'm not necessarily talking about immediate. Just a plan. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is an Iowa hater. Just wanted some insight on how those closer to the program would feel about looking outside the room.
To be really fair to all, if we had Brands, Assad, and Cass, this team is a clear 2nd place in the country. That put a major dent in our plans this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT