Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Meh meh!!

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
Tomorrow Cedar Rapids is forecast to have a high of 69 and a low of 12.

Still pales in comparison to the record:

North America Weather GIF by BBC America

When it is colder than normal, it is weather.
When it is warmer than normal, it is climate change.

Regarding weather, you are never at average.

Montana's east slope has crazy temperature swings.
Browning (1916) temperature dropped from +44 to -56 in 24 hours.
Loma (1972) temperature increased from -54 to +49 in 24 hours. (If you don't know what a Chinook wind is, you never lived on the east slope of the Northern Rockies.

I don't no the exact temperature swing, but the craziest I ever experienced was leaving Valier on a bus for a basketball game with a temperature in the 50s. Went less than one hour north to Sunburst and it was in the 10s and starting to snow. We were delayed in leaving for a couple hours after the game because of the blowing snow and the temperature had dropped to the -10s.

Wednesday is my only day off this week, was hoping to golf. So of course that's when the random 24hour cold front will roll through. Back up into the 60s within a couple days.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Armistice day 1940.
Day started in the mid 60s and by afternoon it was blizzard with temps in the teens.
My grandfather was duck hunting near Savanah Illinois with his uncle when the storm rolled in... they were lucky they weren't on one of the islands and had walked in to their spot instead, so they were able to work their way out. That day and D-Day on Omaha Beach were the 2 days he was most certain he was going to die in his entire life.

The cold isn't going to last long, really only one day (Wednesday). This weekend, back up into the 60's. Does seem though like spring rollercoaster weather has begun a bit early.

I have watched a few spring spring storm season forecasts (including one just now), and the common theme across them is we here in the upper midwest might have a pretty active spring tornado season. Key word as always is "might". Given it looks like our strong El Nino winter might be waning to where we might go back into La Nina in summer - the past years' analogs seem to indicate a bumpy ride for us up north (especially in May).

We'll see. Been awhile since we've had a holy crap spring storm season, so we're due.

Reactions: McLovin32
Wednesday is my only day off this week, was hoping to golf. So of course that's when the random 24hour cold front will roll through. Back up into the 60s within a couple days.
Indoor simulator golf with food and drinks for the win or if you are in Eastern IA, suite shots for the same but outdoors with heaters.

Reactions: JWolf74
Might have to give an extra handy behind the 7-11. I'm sorry.
Do they still have 7-11s? Was actually one of my first jobs at age 13, stocking shelves. The owner was a hot 40 something blonde woman with bigguns... I'd have happily taken a handy back then.
Now at 49 I'm less than a year from retirement so maybe chill out on the "taker' assumptions.

Or live in a more modest ecological friendly way without any help from the govt.

Why do I have to absorb the costs of others pollution?
I'm down with that 100%. Buying a chunk of land in the next 1-2 years and building a 100% self sustainable place on it.

Tomorrow Cedar Rapids is forecast to have a high of 69 and a low of 12.

Still pales in comparison to the record:

You think that is bad, Key West today has a high of 73 and low of 69. THAT is a temperature swing.

I'm down with that 100%. Buying a chunk of land in the next 1-2 years and building a 100% self sustainable place on it.

I moved 4 blocks from my office, downsized to 900 sq ft. (Also so my kids dont have a bunch of my shit to go through), etc. I dont need to govt to tell me to do it.

High of 80 expected today in KC, low tonight of 20 with sleet and snow showers. Good times.

I wonder if our climate is changing
It's the amount of unique weather over a period of time that reveals what's going on.

It wouldn't be unusual to have some warm(er) and a record day or two with an el nino year.

But the degree to which this winter has deviated from norm seems unique. I've never seen one this warm. We have a bunch of record days and then what seems to be a record overall season. (warmest winter.... definitely would seem to be warmest February)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT