ADVERTISEMENT

Initial USC impressions...

BrewHawk

HR Heisman
Jul 21, 2004
Lucas, TX
Watched a bit of their game vs. ASU since it was a more recent close game and here are a few thoughts.

1. They are loaded at WR. From a Biletnikoff finalist (#6) with 95 catches for 1200 yards to two other guys (#8 and #21) with 68 catches for 850 yards each. Also another guy (#15) who plays both FB and BB (6'5") has 35 catches for 500+ yards. Their RB is also a capable receiver out of the backfield.

2. I would label their offense as very similar to Penn St, running a lot of RPO looks, but much more emphasis on the passing game. They run 1/5 plays just to keep the defense honest. The QB doesn't run hardly at all, but is very accurate. He does tend to be a telegraphic passer, but typically his WRs have enough separation off the LOS that it doesn't matter. If he does have to go to a second or third progression a good pass rush (Epenesa) can get home.

3. Their defense is athletic, but undisciplined. They tend to overpursue, so if we stick with outside zone plays, we're in trouble, but the reverse end around we saw from ISM vs. Nebraska might lead to another TD. Big plays can be had and I also think a power run game could give them trouble. They also have trouble accounting for the TE, so I could see Sam having a big game here. I really like their safety (other #15) in run support. He brings the wood.

4. Their kickoff coverage is not good. ISM should be licking his chops to get a chance to get a few KO returns. Hopefully it's only 1-2 chances as then the defense is doing it's job.

5. In regards to defense, I think we will see an approach similar to when we played against TT in the Alamo Bowl. Keep everything in front and punish the receiver. I also think (hope) this could be Phil Parker's version of the Orange Bowl vs. GT. We will see a lot of nickel as they almost exclusively run four-wide sets.

When I have more chances to watch them I'll add to this. They are a prolific passing offense. They need to be because their defense is not great. Should be an interesting contrast in match-ups. I'm initially worried about double moves if they get enough time to get the passes off.

Edit:

I would like to add that because of the athleticism of their receivers we need to make the first tackle after the catch. Any of the WRs have the ability to take it the distance if they break a tackle or two.

Also, I would not be surprised at all to see their quarterback pass for over 400 yards. Our red zone defense will likely win the game for us if they play well. This is where I think we'll see Phil dial up some blitzes and make the Trojans settle for FGs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News